Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 06-15-2019, 02:35 PM   #15
SSShark

Drives: '23 1SS Sharkskin A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by protovack View Post
Remember rotating mass. Wider wheels and tires weigh more and you'll feel the loss in acceleration, especially in the 2.0 turbo. I had a set of OEM SS 20" rims on my 2LT 2.0T and the difference was immediately noticeable. The 2.0 is a great engine but it does not like extra rotating mass. If you do decide to keep this car and upgrade wheels/tires, I highly recommend avoiding the OEM rims, and instead go with the lightest, highest quality aftermarket 19" rims you can afford. I actually kept my stock 18" LT rims because they're so light.

I disagree that 245s look anything except appropriate and balanced on this car, and definitely not wimpy. The square 245 setup works really well and that's what the car is tuned for. In my mind it strikes the perfect balance between weight and performance for an all-around sports car, especially for a car like the 2.0T or V6 which isn't just about pure acceleration. The SS has 275s because it needs them. The only reason to go wider on the 2.0T, IMO, is if you tune and do mods and the car is making more power. I realize that some people are doing this for aesthetic reasons, but some are completely missing the fact that they are weighing down their car when they do that. Even opting for the RS package, is, a purely aesthetic decision. The 20" GM wheels weigh a metric ton and you can feel the difference in non SS cars.

You said you "need the growl of a V8" and also that you don't plan on keeping this car, and are looking to get into an SS next year.

So if you aren't keeping the car...why not just save the money you are thinking about spending on wheels and tires, and put it towards an SS?
Very valid point as far as the added weight and distribution. That being said, I really care more about the cosmetics of it. I figure that even if I plan on only having the car for another year or so, I'm still willing to invest a few bucks cosmetically to give it the appearance that I'm looking for.
As far as would I rather be in an SS, absolutely.
SSShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 09:42 PM   #16
protovack

Drives: 2019 2LT 2.0T M6 Riverside Blue
That's cool. So then the question becomes OEM or after-market. Keeping it OEM makes it easier to trade in, and will keep the overall 6th gen aesthetic. But all the OEM 20" wheels are heavy. Going aftermarket allows you to spend a little more but get much lighter wheels. Though you definitely won't make your money back on them at trade-in, or selling private party in 1-2 years

Here is what I would be thinking, if I was in your situation:
- keeping the car for 10+ years? Splurge on a nice set of super light forged 19" rims and enjoy them for a long time.
- keeping car for 3 years? Get a cheap set of oem SS wheels off ebay, maybe resell them in a few years or sell the car with them, lose a few hundred dollars...
-keeping car 1 year or as soon as I can get into an SS? do nothing, leave the money in the bank
- if I had money (and garage sapce) to spare I'd just get whatever rims I liked and figure it out later. It would probably be a set of these:
https://www.hrewheels.com/wheels/series-p1sc/p101sc
Attached Images

protovack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 10:01 PM   #17
Bumbleboy92
Long hauler

Drives: 2022 Camaro 2SS 1LE
I went from the stock 18" wheels and tires (245/50/18) to the SS stock staggered 20" (245/40/20 and 275/35/20)

Looks much better, ride wise I can feel some more bumps. I got the runflat F1 tires so I think I've gone full stock SS staggered setup on my non-RS 1LT v6. But it feels good, nothing bad I can say.

My car with the 18" Square (not the best photo but only one I got sorry)

With the 20" Staggered
Bumbleboy92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 10:05 PM   #18
Bumbleboy92
Long hauler

Drives: 2022 Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
That's cool. So then the question becomes OEM or after-market. Keeping it OEM makes it easier to trade in, and will keep the overall 6th gen aesthetic. But all the OEM 20" wheels are heavy. Going aftermarket allows you to spend a little more but get much lighter wheels. Though you definitely won't make your money back on them at trade-in, or selling private party in 1-2 years

Here is what I would be thinking, if I was in your situation:
- keeping the car for 10+ years? Splurge on a nice set of super light forged 19" rims and enjoy them for a long time.
- keeping car for 3 years? Get a cheap set of oem SS wheels off ebay, maybe resell them in a few years or sell the car with them, lose a few hundred dollars...
-keeping car 1 year or as soon as I can get into an SS? do nothing, leave the money in the bank
- if I had money (and garage sapce) to spare I'd just get whatever rims I liked and figure it out later. It would probably be a set of these:
https://www.hrewheels.com/wheels/series-p1sc/p101sc
LOL, practically my plan. Except I want to keep it for much longer than 3 years. I got my wheels off local OfferUp, got someone that sold the car but had the wheels and wanted $400. I didn't realize they were staggered until I posted here and had the more knowledgable check. I do like the style I have, haven't found something I would like better but maybe the 50th anniversary. For OP, definitely follow the advice given here.
Bumbleboy92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 08:07 AM   #19
JT58

Drives: Former 2016 Camaro 1LT
Quote:
Remember rotating mass. Wider wheels and tires weigh more and you'll feel the loss in acceleration, especially in the 2.0 turbo. I had a set of OEM SS 20" rims on my 2LT 2.0T and the difference was immediately noticeable. The 2.0 is a great engine but it does not like extra rotating mass. If you do decide to keep this car and upgrade wheels/tires, I highly recommend avoiding the OEM rims, and instead go with the lightest, highest quality aftermarket 19" rims you can afford. I actually kept my stock 18" LT rims because they're so light.

I disagree that 245s look anything except appropriate and balanced on this car, and definitely not wimpy. The square 245 setup works really well and that's what the car is tuned for. In my mind it strikes the perfect balance between weight and performance for an all-around sports car, especially for a car like the 2.0T or V6 which isn't just about pure acceleration. The SS has 275s because it needs them. The only reason to go wider on the 2.0T, IMO, is if you tune and do mods and the car is making more power. I realize that some people are doing this for aesthetic reasons, but some are completely missing the fact that they are weighing down their car when they do that. Even opting for the RS package, is, a purely aesthetic decision. The 20" GM wheels weigh a metric ton and you can feel the difference in non SS cars.

You said you "need the growl of a V8" and also that you don't plan on keeping this car, and are looking to get into an SS next year.

So if you aren't keeping the car...why not just save the money you are thinking about spending on wheels and tires, and put it towards an SS?

I am worried about this on my 2016 1 LT V6 as well as I shop for wheels. Mine has the stock 18" silver wheels and I want black wheels.

What do the stock 18" wheels weigh?

I am looking at both 19" and 20" wheels and paying attention to the weights of them. Tire Rack has set of 19 X 9.5's that I like that weigh 24.5 LBS. That seems to be pretty light but would be good to compare to the stock wheels. Most 19" wheels that I could find come only in 8.5 widths. I don't want to lose any performance and the outstanding gas mileage I currently get with the V6.
Old 06-17-2019, 03:35 PM   #20
protovack

Drives: 2019 2LT 2.0T M6 Riverside Blue
I would guess the stock 18" rims are in the 26lb range, with the 20" wheels closer to 30lbs. Does anyone know for sure?

Last edited by protovack; 06-17-2019 at 04:09 PM.
protovack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 10:15 AM   #21
SSShark

Drives: '23 1SS Sharkskin A10
I finally got around to ordering the OEM Redline wheels in 9.5 for my rears. I'll probably stay with the F1 runflats in 275/35/20 as recommended here.
I'll let you know how it feels once everything is mounted. Thanks again for everyone's input.

@Bumbleboy92, can you post your pics again?
SSShark is offline   Reply With Quote