Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

AWE Tuning

Old 06-05-2019, 10:29 AM   #85
Mosaic6SS

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
This is almost exactly what I was told by the Chief Engineer for the Small Block V8 (includes LT1 and LT4). He stopped short of saying it would cause damage, but did say it would void my warranty and that there were much better ways to spend my money. I asked him about it before I bought my 2017 LT1 Vert as I approached my retirement from GM.
But they designed a catch can for the top side of the PCV system. So if it would cause damage, why would GM put one on from the factory?
Mosaic6SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 11:49 PM   #86
Harpinc

Drives: 19' ZL1 1LE
I still can't understand how anyone could argue about keeping oil out of your intake tract. It is no good there. Instead people tell stories of how a catch can destroyed a motor. If you ever run ethanol, you better run one (Mighty Mouse is my fave) and pump fuel contains more ethanol now days but.. I would also get another tuner if he tried to tell me not to get a catch can..
Harpinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 10:11 AM   #87
Cannon Green

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS
Yikes catch cans are a no go.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
This is almost exactly what I was told by the Chief Engineer for the Small Block V8 (includes LT1 and LT4). He stopped short of saying it would cause damage, but did say it would void my warranty and that there were much better ways to spend my money. I asked him about it before I bought my 2017 LT1 Vert as I approached my retirement from GM.
Cannon Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 02:21 PM   #88
Jvwallacesr

Drives: Camaro fifty SS
How come no one mentions or maybe not aware of the fact that generation 6 camaro’s come equipped with a factory installed catch can that drains itself back into the crankcase. That may be why some people claim the one put on the car doesn’t work. No oil is making it to the aftermarket can. The corvette does not have one but the camaro SS does.
Jvwallacesr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 03:29 PM   #89
DIYguy

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT
For what it may be worth, I pulled the intake manifold on my LGX V6 to index the spark plugs a few months ago (and found a vacuum leak in the process).
I looked at the valves and they weren't perfectly clean, but they weren't all coked up either.
It had about 40k miles on it at the time and it consumes no measurable amounts of oil between changes.
I checked the interior of the manifold and it was completely clean and dry.
So were the throttle body and the tube that connects to the engine's air/oil separator.
There was plainly nothing there to be "caught" from the air stream.
Kudos to the LGX design team..! I was quite impressed.

I had already purchased a catch can and was planning to install it as part of the same general activity.
However once I saw the great shape the valves were in I installed it on our truck instead.
As the previous poster said, there is a very good air/oil separator just underneath the intake manifold and apparently it is doing its job nicely.

The truck on the other hand.......
Old 06-28-2019, 10:30 PM   #90
Elite Engineering

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Back to clarify a few things. First off, we will publicly debate any GM or other automotive Engineer on proper catchcan installed properly and no, there is no way a proper system could cause any damage. But none will. We tried this openly several years ago when GM claimed in statements they did not have any intake valve coking issues and have since walked back on that as well. And with the amount of GM dealers that sell and install our design of system, we still have no voided warranties as all these experts seem to claim.

Now, lets look at the LGX engine (V6 released in the 2016 Camaro). GM has taken a drastic step with these engines to reduce the rate and severity of intake valve coking. And it is working. What we used to see at 10k miles on the LLT and LFX now takes 50-60k miles on a LGX to equal. So, what did GM do that's drastic to accomplish this? They DELETED the PCV system from the engine on the LGX so very little oil vapor and other substances are making contact with the back sides of the intake valves. They implemented a Passive crankcase ventilation system and use NO intake manifold vacuum to evacuate the damage and wear causing compounds from the crankcase leaving most to remain in and accumulate. A passive system simply allows pressure to build and then vent into the main intake air bridge assy as shown here:

Looking at the bottom tube (stock OEM unit) you can see 2 connections. The smaller one is the fresh/clean side of the passive system. The larger tube is the foul/dirty side. The larger tube connects directly to the valley vent in the rear of the engine as shown here:

This goes directly to the main intake air bridge. NO intake manifold vacuum is supplied, so GM has sacrificed the life of the engine in doing so, but has accomplished the most effective method to date to slow the rate and severity of the intake valve coking. Far more effective than Ford and the others that have released the hybrid smaller port injectors as they do not provide enough fuel contact to make a real impact, and they increase the incidence of knock.

This makes perfect sense from the automakers standpoint as the average new car buyer keeps the car 3 years and puts an average of 13k miles a year on. So by the time any symptoms are noticeable, warranty has expired and they have no more liability. The used car market is not their concern.

So, lets look at the LT1/4 GDI V8 engines. Yes, in the Camaro they include a "cleanside" catchcan so to speak. It is NOT dealing at all with the main source of oil vapor and other combustion byproducts, it is ONLY to trap temporarily oil mist that back flows when accelerating or at WOT as the intake manifold does not supply any vacuum during either mode due to reversion pulses, and it returns it to the crankcase as it is mainly only oil mist/vapors that it traps. This accounts for from between 5-15% of the total ingestion (depending on driving style). You would NEVER return what a true crankcase evacuation catchcan traps. That would contribute to very rapid wear as this is what our E2-X systems trap on average with a GDI engine:

When spun in a centrifuge to separate what we catch and prevent from being ingested it is 70% water and acids, 23% raw fuel (one of the biggest causes of bearing failure in these engines as far to thin of viscosity is specified from the factory so the fuel quickly thins it to the point of not being able to protect, and this is why GM now specifies far higher viscosity for those tracking their cars) and only 7% is actually oil, and that is saturated with abrasive particulate matter (soot, ash, and carbon). So you would NEVER reintroduce this to your crankcase. And you will also note that the Corvette, with the same LT engines, does NOT have these from the factory due to lack of space....this was first addressed in the 1LT 5th gens as the add on oil cap replacement. On the Corvette our billet CSS does the same thing but more effectively than the plastic cap GM included with the 1LT 5th gen. On the Camaro V8 6th gen our CSS is not needed unless it is a very wild build.

Now for each of these engines our E2 or E2-X systems (Ultra for modified and driven hard applications) provides full time evacuation and flushing. On the LGX we add back in the IM vacuum as a evacuation source as well so our system addresses all of this.

And here is documentation. This is from one of the long term Beta testers that is going longer intervals on oil changes and doing oil analysis to show. This is on a Ecoboost twin turbo that is driven hard and heavy. Note the message from the Lab Technician. At just under 14,000 miles the oil is better in most every area than industry averages at 6,000 miles. We chose the Ecoboost as it is one of the most problem prone with fuel dilution and wear issues, so this is an extreme test. His next sample will be at 20,000 miles as Blackstone has recommended.

So, there is nothing but benefits to installing our system, and we seem to be the ONLY brand design that is taking these steps to gather supporting data.

Installing our system extends engine life. Reduces wear, slightly increases power and fuel economy by reducing most knock retard so the engine runs at optimum ignition timing and we also reduce the rate of coking even more, which the V8 still has an issue with.

Again, ask questions and please always email our Engineering and Technical support team direct at: Tech@EliteEngineeringUSA.com before you make your purchase, and Sales@EliteEngineeringUSA.com for sales assistance.

Have a great weekend all!!!!
Elite Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 10:08 PM   #91
OVRKLL

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE...makes me go YeeeHaw!
I'd like to install your system however, your kit does not have an adapter to install the hose onto the OEM intake tube, or do you?

The bracket for the SS LT1 will not work. The bracket for the ZL1 looks like it would work, but it's not an option to purchase for the SS LT1...why not?

I know JCunningham installed his using a hockey stick bracket and mounted it on the sound tube bracket at the front of the engine.
However, I don't want to mount it there if at all possible, just in case the serpentine belt snaps, I'll probably lose the CC.
I'd like to mount it off the strut tower brace like in the ZL1 video you have on your website...will you make that bracket available to purchase for the SS LT1?

Also how important is it to have the check valves?

Thank you!
Old 08-31-2019, 10:26 PM   #92
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Getting sick of looking at the same pix of sludge. Dont ya guys have some new ones? Ive had my 1le for 3 yrs. Been riding her very hard at many race tracks every season. Zero issues. Zero oil consumption. Zero power loss. But i change fluids frequently!
Lastly, a notion that most folks own a vehicle for 3 yrs is ridiculous. An average age of a vehicle in N America is over 10 yrs old. Check the stats! Oh and btw used car market is as healthy as ever.
Good luck with your biz, but for goodness me: pls stop scaring folks. Wait for Halloween
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 10:35 PM   #93
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
Getting sick of looking at the same pix of sludge. Dont ya guys have some new ones? Ive had my 1le for 3 yrs. Been riding her very hard at many race tracks every season. Zero issues. Zero oil consumption. Zero power loss. But i change fluids frequently!
Lastly, a notion that most folks own a vehicle for 3 yrs is ridiculous. An average age of a vehicle in N America is over 10 yrs old. Check the stats! Oh and btw used car market is as healthy as ever.
Good luck with your biz, but for goodness me: pls stop scaring folks. Wait for Halloween
+1...
DaveC113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 01:52 PM   #94
OVRKLL

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE...makes me go YeeeHaw!
Quote:
You just saved my $300+!
Old 09-01-2019, 11:00 PM   #95
Whocares05050

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvwallacesr View Post
How come no one mentions or maybe not aware of the fact that generation 6 camaro’s come equipped with a factory installed catch can that drains itself back into the crankcase. That may be why some people claim the one put on the car doesn’t work. No oil is making it to the aftermarket can. The corvette does not have one but the camaro SS does.
My catch can is always half way full every 1500 - 2000 miles...
Whocares05050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 11:04 PM   #96
Whocares05050

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Changing fluids frequently had nothing to do with the amount of oil getting into the intact track. Go take a camera to your intake valves and report back. 100% they are coated. With direct injection, you are getting ZERO fuel sprayed on the valves to help clean them. Over time it WILL reduce performance.

Nobody is forcing you guys to buy a catch can but some of you anti-can guys are like flat earthers trying to convince the world the earth isnt round
Whocares05050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 09:32 AM   #97
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC113 View Post
+1...
I have no idea how they were marketing cans before DI
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 09:38 AM   #98
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whocares05050 View Post
Over time it WILL reduce performance.

Nobody is forcing you guys to buy a catch can but some of you anti-can guys are like flat earthers trying to convince the world the earth isnt round
Will it? I think this is the base assumption you are wrong about.

Then someone with actual experience, TrackClub comes by and shares his experience, that is actually real and not imaginary, like your power-loss scenario, and you call him a flat-earther.

You're the one doing things based on dreams and imagination. YOU are the flat-earther here.