Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 04-11-2018, 12:49 PM   #71
HYPER1LE

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE HBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GelflingEssence View Post
Does GM even have a marketing department?
Lol. You got me thinking that perhaps they do. They polled all of the Dodge Charger R/T owners to inquire why they chose it instead of a Camaro. They likely learned that although it was a 4-door instead of a 2-door coupe, they had to have that Charger because of its front end appearance. Don’t get me wrong, I like it...for the Charger. So the marketing research team passed this information along to the designer(s), and voila, Camaro SS refresh. Grab those sales. Perhaps the “SS” should be dropped and renamed “Camaro R/T”. smh��
HYPER1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 03:51 PM   #72
SecondZ28

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenegadeXR View Post

The only real technical detail here is that the flowtie in the blackout is indeed an actual cutout to the radiator to help feed it air. That being said, I sincerely doubt that the CFM of airflow it provides is that large. It probably wouldn't lead to catastrophic failure if they removed it. I'm not saying it doesn't serve a functional purpose, but I think the flowtie is more-so a marketing gimmick.
Quote:
The change is enough to shove an additional 3 cubic meters of air through the grille per minute, and that extra air dropped the engine coolant and oil temperature by a full 2 degrees Fahrenheit during track work.
So 2 degrees during track duty is probably zero in normal driving situations.
'87 GN
SecondZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 06:05 PM   #73
HYPER1LE

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE HBM
I agree. Flow-tie is cool and all but for the SS not necessary in that location. Also, that just under 3 CFM is through a small opening targeting a small area of the radiator. I don’t see the point of a 2 degree benefit. If nothing else, at least move it up to the upper grille. That smalll change would improve my opinion about this refresh from “Yuck!” to “It’ll grow on me” (maybe).
HYPER1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 06:49 PM   #74
Bongos2U

Drives: Hopefully 6th gen Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94turbolsx View Post
It was a failed attempt a striking any design cues from the first gen in the front clip. The first thing that comes to mind with the 2019 front clip is Toyota for one, and the 2019 Silverado second. Its not tasteful, its not even really aggressive, its just awkward looking at best. Its 85% black grill, an out of place bowtie and in all that black grill, the all chrome headlights stick out like they dont belong.

When the transformers 6th gen was shown, my thoughts were "thank god that is just a movie car because what an ugly mess it is". I can't believe you guys greenlighted this mess.

Thankfully there is plenty of brand new 2017 and 18's left. I have a feeling they will sell fast.
My thoughts exactly in bold above. I was expecting some styling cues from the Buick Avista for the MCE Camaro. However, all is not lost. The pictures so far are pre-production units. GM can paint that black bar in the grill and movie the bowtie in time for cars to hit dealer lots (maybe?).
Bongos2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 06:51 PM   #75
Cgocifer

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE, 2015 RAM Ecodiesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOBBS View Post
I gotta believe that the idea for using the flowtie in the crossbar came very early. Someone fell in love with that idea and they engineered around that. If more airflow was the primary goal they could have taken a fraction of an inch off the top or bottom edge of the crossbar and achieved the same and still used a solid bowtie or a flowtie in the upper grille. A solid bowtie in the crossbar existed as far back as the TF5 Bumblebee concept. They had time to go the right direction and chose not to.
Design team member: "hey, I have a great ide! People loved the ZL1 flowtie! Lets make that front and center to show how clever it is! "We can put a huge eyesore of a bumper center grille and black it out so it can be hidden, then we will put a flow tie in there and say that it improves air flow by 20%!!"

Maybe Ford will do it too and make a hollow pony or a hollow oval also known as a hole in the bumper. Sweet! Lol
Cgocifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 08:13 PM   #76
chris227

Drives: 2020 Camaro 2SS
Is this the Designer of the 2019 V6 version?
Just looks awkward to me. Like the car has a huge underbite.
Attached Images

chris227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 10:04 PM   #77
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris227 View Post
Is this the Designer of the 2019 V6 version?
Just looks awkward to me. Like the car has a huge underbite.
Yeah, i thought the V6 was okay at first ,but the more I look at it it's really strange. Guess I was still in shock from how bad the SS looks.

Last edited by motorhead; 07-24-2018 at 11:41 PM.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 11:20 PM   #78
triggerjerk

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1
It finally dawned on me.
They recycled the 130r styling.
triggerjerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 09:05 AM   #79
IOMike

Drives: 2022 F150, 87 Monte Carlo
Quote:
Originally Posted by triggerjerk View Post
It finally dawned on me.
Not even close, I'm my opinion.
IOMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 09:36 AM   #80
DevilsReject97
Nightmare

Drives: Your mom crazy in bed
Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondZ28 View Post
I think this has been the major problem. To most consumers the Camaro design is over a decade old because the styling hasn't changed much. Factor in the prices increase for an "old" design, and you won't find as many new buyers. So I do applaud them for trying to change direction, but they need to try again.

But, somehow the Challenger has pulled it off. After 10 years on the market with a late 90's chassis they are increasing sales. So who knows for sure.
And the Mustang design is well over a decade "old" at this point... the biggest issue is that GM went all in on the goodies and overpriced the cars....it's their single biggest screwup...

I bought my 1SS for 31k...you can't even get a new 1SS for less than 40 brand new at most places...
Old 04-12-2018, 10:18 AM   #81
sschons74

Drives: 16 Camaro 1SS & 82 Silverado C10
Quote:
Originally Posted by triggerjerk View Post
It finally dawned on me.
Damn you're right. I was trying to forget about that one.
Old 04-12-2018, 11:01 AM   #82
PYROLYSIS
Remember the Charleston 9

Drives: 2004 KME PREDATOR, 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by chozn4service View Post
Hopefully there are but a handful of these monstrosities on hand and still in GM’s possession that they can undo this mess and revert back. The whole project sucks and the looks are like my ex wife, tore up from the floor up!
That said, they can correct this or either let it run and suffer the consequences.
I’ll never get a newer one if something where to happen to my current Camaro and I’d opt to move to the Corvette which my wife would love for me to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
And that’s a shame because the fifth gen had people that could afford a Corvette buying a Camaro simply because of the handsome design. It’s been a few days now and this design still hasn’t grown on me. I’m not a potential buyer anyway but I hate to see the car I love looking like this. Maybe there are a group of buyers out there that like the design but I’ve seen a very small positive reaction on multiple websites. I would like to think that if the sales numbers tank that GM will take action to help the Camaro, I just don’t see them changing the refresh before it’s released.
Old 04-12-2018, 03:29 PM   #83
DDustiNN

Drives: Cars
Quote:
that sinister face to the vehicle that wants to evoke an emotion
Oh it evoked an emotion alright...

Quote:
holy cow what's that
And that's exactly what it was.

DDustiNN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 06:02 PM   #84
Cgocifer

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE, 2015 RAM Ecodiesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by sschons74 View Post
Damn you're right. I was trying to forget about that one.
That's actually not bad looking. At least no big black bumper with fenderlets. Lol
Cgocifer is offline   Reply With Quote