Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 04-12-2018, 09:39 AM   #953
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by '01LS1 View Post
Am guessing the design that Chevrolet rolled out with is to make an obvious in your face change for those that said the 5th & 6th gen look the same. While enthusiasts (like most at this forum) know the differences between them, the avg buyer or cross shopper may not.
Excellent point. New fingers - going in vs out - would pretty much accomplish a very similar look to the original gen6 vs differentiating it. And that would be the same fail as before. Plus the look would be very soft vs in your face.
Attached Images

TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 09:56 AM   #954
Memphis43

Drives: Chevy
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
Excellent point. New fingers - going in vs out - would pretty much accomplish a very similar look to the original gen6 vs differentiating it. And that would be the same fail as before. Plus the look would be very soft vs in your face.

I need to see a 1LE version of the SS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Memphis43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 10:02 AM   #955
mdhopt36

Drives: '17- 1ag37 V6 traded, for 1SS 2018!
Having one fly over at a fairly low altitude is one of the most awesome things I have seen in the sky, it did a hard turn at probably close to full speed, then you see why they were still used for years after jets appeared.
Had the same experience once in W. TN county airport. We were flying a diesel model biplane, totally absorbed. The mustang came in from around 15 feet, right over the top of us;--grass blew outwards around our feet, and if it weren't for our restraint drinking beer the night before, we'd have soiled our shorts. Awesome.
mdhopt36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 10:11 AM   #956
cdb95z28

Drives: 2022 1SS 1LE A10 BCD WCT+PDR
Correct me if I am wrong, but I do not recall there being so many photoshop fixes on the Gen 5 refresh. Overall, the response has been negative towards this refresh. Time will tell if the market responds positively. Because realistically, that is what GM is after, sales. The Gen 5 refresh (2014) was second in sales within the entire Gen 5 model. For the 5th year of a model run, I guess it generated some excitement. The release of the Z/28 helped too

I (mostly) agree that looks/design are subjective. I also think that a small part of design can be objective. Look at much of the latest design elements that put aero efficiency ahead of good looks. The list is long among the industry whom design cars that are downright ugly, for example any of Toyota's small fuel efficient cars.

Last edited by cdb95z28; 04-12-2018 at 10:13 AM. Reason: Z/28 point
cdb95z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 10:11 AM   #957
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro5 View Post
The expanded upper grille area is going to allow more heat to escape during a hot soak.

The heat extractor in the hood will further lower underhood temperatures, including during the hot soak.

This could eliminate hot soaked starters on the SS.

The "Flowtie" increases airflow to the engine by an extra 2.5 cubic meters per minute

They have really increased engine cooling, and cooler engines make more HP and have better driveability.

So even if you don't like the look, it is a functional upgrade.

It's easy to see from the 3/4 front view how the front end was designed specifically to manage air flow. One of the things I really like about GM performance division is their tenacity in drawing out every ounce of performance they can down to the last detail.

If they offer the flow tie in a black out option, you'll see that box checked on almost every car, I'd bet. That's really the only thing it needs.

I'll admit that I'm warming up to he blacked out front a little bit.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 10:14 AM   #958
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis43 View Post

Me too. Still very few pix out there...
Gazing at the various pix and renders i actually think fingers vs fangs with the black belt as is would look good AND different. But as others have pointed out styling is so very subjective.
Old 04-12-2018, 10:18 AM   #959
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeROC View Post
Just curious with your connections. Can you say if the team is even considering making a minor change or two to the refresh at this point? Or is it set in stone? I'm sure they have seen the reactions everywhere on the net.
I would never ask them to give me inside info, so what I say next is my POV, without any discussions with anyone I know at GM.

Can they make changes? They could probably make a decision to offer body color on the black bar. Quite frankly, with the fingers where they are, I doubt it would look better and probably would look worse.

I seriously doubt anything can or will be done to remove / relocate the flow tie. I’m pretty sure it is where it is to optimize additional airflow and/or cooling underhood. Depending on what the manufacturing process is for the bumper bar, removing the flowtie could be non-trivial. It’s one thing to remove a tool from a die. Completely different to re-engineer a mold.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 10:26 AM   #960
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
I would never ask them to give me inside info, so what I say next is my POV, without any discussions with anyone I know at GM.

Can they make changes? They could probably make a decision to offer body color on the black bar. Quite frankly, with the fingers where they are, I doubt it would look better and probably would look worse.

I seriously doubt anything can or will be done to remove / relocate the flow tie. I’m pretty sure it is where it is to optimize additional airflow and/or cooling underhood. Depending on what the manufacturing process is for the bumper bar, removing the flowtie could be non-trivial. It’s one thing to remove a tool from a die. Completely different to re-engineer a mold.
All they really need to do with the flow tie is to offer a blacked out option. Sell them over the parts counter and GM makes a few bucks on the side.

I imagine that since there is a cavity in the bar for the flow tie that changing that would be anything but trivial. They probably already have hundreds, if not thousands of those parts already manufactured, or at the very least the tooling is already in place.

Looking forward to hearing the engineering details about the design.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 10:30 AM   #961
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post

One thing i dont get is a sudden obsession with airflow and cooling. I get it on a ZL1 but not on an LT1 car. Never heard anyone getting any heat soak even during summer track events yours truly included. Shes as cool as a cucumber! So either it is because it seems like theyve raised the splitter a bunch or it is because an FI motor is coming before this model is done its mission. Just my musings thats all.
Old 04-12-2018, 10:40 AM   #962
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
So we lost our freaking minds over the 5th Gen tail light change. Now it's the bowtie and black grill so much that we've completely lost sight of all the good stuff like the hood, wheels and the bad Ass A10.

I personally like to recognize a refresh change on the street and the taillights did that on the 5th gen and it will be the same here whether it's your cup of tea or not.

This is also by far the best looking LT model ever IMO, especially the I4 ILE. All the old LT cars were a little blah for me.
If it makes you feel better I think the wheels are just as ugly as the SS front fascia lol

So the only good I see is the A10 and updated tech
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 10:46 AM   #963
Alanarchy

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS NGM, 2015 Murano Plt
The rear lower bumpers are very close in design theme.
Attached Images

Alanarchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 11:05 AM   #964
97CamaroLT4

Drives: 1996 Camaro LT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillTPIV View Post
"No one ever likes a refresh... last time this forum blew up about the tail lights.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=285117

62% in the poll here disliked..." -mlee.

Honestly this is truth. No one ever to my knowledge has ever liked refreshes. refreshes always get hate and then are loved in about 1-3 years. Just wait for the gen 7. Everyone will hate on it and then in 2024 people will love it. Its a cycle and GM isn't blind to it.
I never liked the original 5th gen (still have a 3rd and 4th gen). When the 2014 was revealed I fell in love and bought that - then it was killed. Now I was waiting for the refresh but have decided I will find myself a 2018 SS1LE or ZL1 before it is too late. Hate the small hoot extractor, The front is awful on the SS and the taillights on the 16-18 I think are really nice. I dont have any skin in the game as I don't own a 6th Gen but I can tell you I hate this refresh while the 5th gen refresh got me into a 5th gen.
97CamaroLT4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 11:06 AM   #965
detltu

Drives: 1992 Z28 1LE; 2015 Zl1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis43 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
Me too. Still very few pix out there...
Gazing at the various pix and renders i actually think fingers vs fangs with the black belt as is would look good AND different. But as others have pointed out styling is so very subjective.
I'm looking forward to seeing the 1LE as well. A nice performance variant could change my view of this redesign. Some performance upgrades would help do the trick as well.
1991 Camaro Z28 1LE-
1992 Camaro Z28 1LE- 25th anniversary
2015 Camaro ZL1
detltu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 11:09 AM   #966
cdb95z28

Drives: 2022 1SS 1LE A10 BCD WCT+PDR
Quote:
Originally Posted by detltu View Post
I'm looking forward to seeing the 1LE as well. A nice performance variant could change my view of this redesign. Some performance upgrades would help do the trick as well.
I agree. I'm hoping the SS 1LE is better looking.

Tags
2019 camaro refresh, 2020 camrao, becky, beckyd, camaro refresh, camarodestroyed, new camaro, ugly camaro, wtf?!?!