Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

AWE Tuning

Old 06-14-2019, 07:36 PM   #57
Joe M 2012 2SS

Drives: 2012 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkH View Post
The twistress and dry me a river are 70/30. The CarPro dhydrate is only 80/20.
I don't have the twistress, but I have plenty of 70/30 Korean drying towels, not one of them absorbs like the DHydrate towel does, or glides across the surface with almost no friction.

Polyester/polyamide % can be misleading, Microfiber Madness DMC is 75/25, and softer than any 70/30 drying towel I have ever used, but it doesn't glide across the paint like the DHydrate does.

The Microfiber Madness Crazy Pile is also 75/25, and is softer than any wax/sealant removal towel.

I only use waffle weave on interior glass, much better options for paint.

I haven't ever used a towel that seems to "float" over the paint and absorb all the water in 1 pass like the Dhydrate does.

Roto-Fab intake, SW 1 7/8" LT w/hi flow cats, Flowmaster outlaw exhaust, UDP, 160* stat, Circle D 3200, Moroso catch can, TCI line lock, Zex Nitrous 125 shot, 3.91 gear, Eaton True-trac, DSS 1000hp axles.
Joe M 2012 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 09:57 PM   #58
SnakeEyeSS

Drives: Camaro 2SS & ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe M 2012 2SS View Post
I don't have the twistress, but I have plenty of 70/30 Korean drying towels, not one of them absorbs like the DHydrate towel does, or glides across the surface with almost no friction.

Polyester/polyamide % can be misleading, Microfiber Madness DMC is 75/25, and softer than any 70/30 drying towel I have ever used, but it doesn't glide across the paint like the DHydrate does.

The Microfiber Madness Crazy Pile is also 75/25, and is softer than any wax/sealant removal towel.

I only use waffle weave on interior glass, much better options for paint.

I haven't ever used a towel that seems to "float" over the paint and absorb all the water in 1 pass like the Dhydrate does.
But are the 70/30 you have twisted loop? That's what is behind the "magic" of PFM and DHydrate. It's not just the content of the towel, it's the construction too. It's like short or high pile on applying or removing a product, they can be the same content, but the construction makes the difference.

I just finished a lot of work on the Camaro, putting on CQuartz UK 3.0 if it gets here tomorrow.
Wash with Reset, Iron Decon, Nanoskin Autoscrub, Iron Decon a few spots again(found that a short nap microfiber works better than a sponge or Nano skin at digging out during Iron Decon), wash with Reset again, and then corrected with a UroFiber and M210. I had to go over a few spots with Meguiar's red foam and some 110, but not much. The pad was getting saturated too quickly, I'm thinking it was the multiple layers of HCW was doing it.

I did a 2x Iron X treatment when I bought the car. Just another 3000 miles later, I can't believe what all that brembo dust had done.

Last edited by SnakeEyeSS; 06-20-2019 at 10:10 PM.
SnakeEyeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 10:06 PM   #59
JoeP@TeamBeckyD

Drives: SS,PaceCar,ZL1,1LE,C7Z51,Z06,17-ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanbabz71 View Post
Great towel I used this and a dry me a river towel and the d hydrate is so much better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Ryan
Great Towel....

I used Hydro2...

on - My RST....
Name:  RST.jpg
Views: 567
Size:  134.5 KB

Name:  RST1.jpg
Views: 444
Size:  140.4 KB

Name:  RST2.jpg
Views: 483
Size:  154.0 KB

Name:  RST3.jpg
Views: 417
Size:  137.0 KB

- Ready to Roll -
........To Camaro Fest IX

Becky
JoeP@TeamBeckyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 07:26 PM   #60
SnakeEyeSS

Coated the Camaro today with UK 3.0.

I found a polish streak that dried in a curve from yesterday, AFTER I had finished the coating, luckily it was the last panel I did, 50% IPA solution and some aggressive rubbing took the coating off with the polish, and then just reapplied.

I will say the included wipe off towel was getting saturated when I was finishing. Had the 50ml bottle and I put some plastic between the suede towel and the applicator, I think that saved a lot from being wasted. Easily have enough left to do my Accord.

I applied in 90°F(they recommend 40-85) and it flashed very fast, didn't really even take one minute on many panels. So fast that when I was doing the cross wipe it was already tacky. It still came off well. So even pushing the limits it didn't give me much trouble.
Old 06-22-2019, 08:46 PM   #61
F N MUSCLE

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Just got it back yesterday. Done spending money on this thing! Lol.

Got the tires replaced to continentals, rock guards installed, custom covercraft sun visor, paint correction, ppf on the front bumper, splitter, headlights, quarter panels, rockers, and new satin vinyl on the hood. Topped it off with ceramic.

She is ready for the canyons!
Attached Images

F N MUSCLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 10:29 PM   #62
groove93

Drives: 2018 Chevy Camaro 1LT RS
Quick and easy Maintenance Wash on Friday Morning. Last weekend I stripped the original wax/protectant, chemical decontamination, clay barred, and polished. One layer of Jescar Power Lock +, 2 layers of Collinite 845.
Attached Images

groove93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 09:24 AM   #63
SnakeEyeSS

It's been 5-6 days since the CQUK3 coating so I used a protective topper(90%+ water, 1-5% SiO2, 1-5 % IPA detail spray) in case of bird bombs and drove it to work. It's going to be hot with a high UV index so I think it'll finish curing.
Old 06-27-2019, 03:14 PM   #64
Joe M 2012 2SS

Drives: 2012 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeEyeSS View Post
It's been 5-6 days since the CQUK3 coating so I used a protective topper(90%+ water, 1-5% SiO2, 1-5 % IPA detail spray) in case of bird bombs and drove it to work. It's going to be hot with a high UV index so I think it'll finish curing.
The CQUK cures in 5 days so your good.

When your out of the topper your using, Carpro Hydrofoam, or Adams Wash/Coat are great alternatives for toppers, as all you need to do is wash the car.

I get 12 weeks durability from Hydrofoam, and 9 weeks from Adams.
Adams is easier to apply, as you can wash the whole car and rinse, unlike Hydrofoam which must be done 1 panel at a time.

I also found my paint stays cleaner with the Adams vs. Hydrofoam.

The only downside to the Adams, is the durability isn't as long, and it takes a few hours to cure after you use it, so you won't see the intense beading/sheeting until your next wash, or until it's driven in the rain.

My car is a non-garaged daily driver, so your durability will probably be longer.

Roto-Fab intake, SW 1 7/8" LT w/hi flow cats, Flowmaster outlaw exhaust, UDP, 160* stat, Circle D 3200, Moroso catch can, TCI line lock, Zex Nitrous 125 shot, 3.91 gear, Eaton True-trac, DSS 1000hp axles.
Joe M 2012 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 06:48 PM   #65
SnakeEyeSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe M 2012 2SS View Post
The CQUK cures in 5 days so your good.

When your out of the topper your using, Carpro Hydrofoam, or Adams Wash/Coat are great alternatives for toppers, as all you need to do is wash the car.

I get 12 weeks durability from Hydrofoam, and 9 weeks from Adams.
Adams is easier to apply, as you can wash the whole car and rinse, unlike Hydrofoam which must be done 1 panel at a time.

I also found my paint stays cleaner with the Adams vs. Hydrofoam.

The only downside to the Adams, is the durability isn't as long, and it takes a few hours to cure after you use it, so you won't see the intense beading/sheeting until your next wash, or until it's driven in the rain.

My car is a non-garaged daily driver, so your durability will probably be longer.
It's probably already cured since it's been the the garage for 5 days at 90+ degrees. I meant cure as in the "do not wash or use any chemicals for 7 days" cured. I figured then it's at full strength for bird crap and everything else that can get on it during a normal drive
Old 06-30-2019, 03:47 PM   #66
SnakeEyeSS

In law's brought by their 05 Equniox I offered to detail. I offered so I could test some stuff out. Ended up being 6 hours of paint cleaning & correction. They have had it 6-7 years, never protected and run through an automatic car scratcher every few weeks.

I was having to clean my uro fiber every few PASSES, to olynoeash a cloud of dust. There were a few spot so think may have been on the edgew of oxidation. And that is after wash, Iron Decon, Autoscrub, wash again.

Ended up a few passes with M110, few passes with D166, and then TW SNS.

Also took a ridiculous amount of oxidation off the headlights. They were so bad it look like a candle shining on the wall

Then went inside and cleaned the grimed doors and dash, and took out a few stains with Citrus Power Cleaner plus and a soft brush. I left the vaccuming and glass for them.

Then went over the cleaned areas with 303.

I will say the M110 is fantastic. It finished so well the D166 didn't really do much, but I was in the dark in the driveway because I didn't want the dust over my cars when I cleaned the pad. It will also take care of headlights on it own.

Last edited by SnakeEyeSS; 06-30-2019 at 05:11 PM.
SnakeEyeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 09:38 PM   #67
skywrench

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
2016 2 SS

I picked up my '16 2ss about a week and a half ago. The dealer did a really lousy job of cleaning it. I think they drove it through a car wash, that was it. The key fobs were sticky, there was a checkbook of the previous owner in the glovebox along with a letter from his insurance company. In the trunk there were missing fasteners that I found under one of the boxes back there. Makes me wonder how hard the tech really looked at it.
I just got a water deionizer for my hose and that made a world of difference. The water here is so hard I wouldn't wash at home.
So today between rain storms I got it washed, clay barred, waxed. Leather cleaned and treated.
I cleaned the engine a few days ago. It wasn't terrible but I wasn't happy how it looked. You could see sand built up on parts of the engine.
Attached Images

skywrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 08:39 PM   #68
Ryanbabz71

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 1SS 1LE

Coated my calipers and insides of the wheels

Ryan B.
Ryanbabz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 10:55 AM   #69
SnakeEyeSS

Finished down and re coated a few high spot areas of UK 3.0 on my Honda I coated last week(really shouldn't have done it when I was that late when I was exhausted). Topped it with TW Seal and Shine.
Old 07-05-2019, 02:43 AM   #70
karmatourer
STD free

Drives: 2018 Bright Yellow LGX M6 RS NPP
I finally got a coat of wax on the hood.
karmatourer is offline   Reply With Quote