Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

AWE Tuning

Old 01-03-2017, 05:52 PM   #1
JRL1LE

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
SCCA Autox Claases for 2017 1LE's

SCCA has classed 2017 V8 1LE in A Street
2017 V6 1LE in B Street

No surprise on the V8, but not sure about that V6 classing.
JRL1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 10:17 PM   #2
fighting irish
The Doctor is in

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Nightfall MRC NPP
Hmm I would have liked to see the V6 in FS. It is about 150-200lbs lighter than an SS, but is down 120hp. Same suspension, wheels, and differential as an SS I believe. I see a V6 1LE running about the same times as a standard SS.

I personally disagree with the classing. Neither of these cars will compete this year for top in its class. The SS 1LE is outclassed by a c6 z06 in A street, and a v6 1le is outclassed by c5 vettes, and probably even an awd golf R with similar weight/hp figures. I'd like to see ZL1- A street. SS 1LE- B-street. V6- 1LE- F street.
fighting irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 12:28 AM   #3
Egon

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 1LE
Not at all surprised by the classing of the 6th Gen V8 1LE and I have said it before in various places that although it is a FANTASTIC vehicle it is being fed to the sharks in AS, specifically C6 Z06 Sharks. The Z06 at 3100 lbs, and 505 hp with 305/335 tires possible on the stock wheel widths, it is just about the perfect car for Autocross that isn't a Miata. The highest placed non C6 Z06 at 2016 Nationals I think was 15th in a S2000 CR, and I think the single Mustang GT350 (non R) in AS at nationals was 20something. This wouldn't stop me from getting a 6th Gen V8 1LE and autocrossing it in AS, I would do it in a heartbeat and enjoy every single minute of it, but I just do not see it being as competitive as the C6 Z06 is. We will have to wait and see if anyone plans on seriously campaigning one this year to see where it falls out. I would love to see a factory 1LE A-Street team like they had at 2016 Nationals with the regular 6th Gen SS in F-Street.

I am surprised to hear about the classing of the V6 1LE in B-Street though, I thought for sure it would stay in F-Street where the regular SS is placed. I do know that SCCA typically doesn't like to upset entire classes when placing cars, but I would have no problem with all of them, V6 and V8 1LE, going into FS since their "formula" fits there. (front engine RWD vehicles with around 4-500 hp) Progress happens and cars get faster and people (myself included with my 5th Gen 1LE) have to deal with it. It's either that or create a Z(06)-Street class all by itself and let the Z06's run there with the same PAX index and local scoring as AS. It would be good to see more variety of cars campaigned in AS, but as long as the Z06 exists and no one comes up with the magic formula to beat it, it will reign king there for the near future.
Old 01-04-2017, 11:28 AM   #4
Mountain

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2016 1SS (previous)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fighting irish View Post
Hmm I would have liked to see the V6 in FS. It is about 150-200lbs lighter than an SS, but is down 120hp. Same suspension, wheels, and differential as an SS I believe. I see a V6 1LE running about the same times as a standard SS.

I personally disagree with the classing. Neither of these cars will compete this year for top in its class. The SS 1LE is outclassed by a c6 z06 in A street, and a v6 1le is outclassed by c5 vettes, and probably even an awd golf R with similar weight/hp figures. I'd like to see ZL1- A street. SS 1LE- B-street. V6- 1LE- F street.
I agree with this. Also, change the DS listing for Camaro from "Camaro LT (Turbo) 2016-17" to "Camaro LT (Turbo and V6; non-1LE) 2016-17". The V6 Mustang is in DS, move the Camaro there too. There isn't anything on the Camaro V6 that dictates it to be in FS, outside the 1LE package.
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 12:11 PM   #5
rotis

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE
Unfortunately it looks like they are both buries. I would have liked to see the GT350 (non-R) and V8 1LE both go to B-Street, I think they'd be a good match and they stand a fighting chance against a base C5.
rotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 12:31 PM   #6
NCSD

Drives: Nightfall, 2SS, A8, MRC, NPP,RE-71R
So since the 1LE's are going into tough classes, Does that mean that the SS in FS is still the best class for camaros to be competitive in?
NCSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 12:47 PM   #7
Egon

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCSD View Post
So since the 1LE's are going into tough classes, Does that mean that the SS in FS is still the best class for camaros to be competitive in?
I believe so, although Mark Scroggs is going to be campaigning a I4T Camaro in DS this season after it was moved there along with the Ecoboost Mustang. I think he is going to shake things up quite a bit since he came in 3rd at Nationals with an Ecoboost Mustang in FS, and his time of 118.825 obliterated the fastest DS cars 121.027 by over 2 seconds. And Mark says the I4T Camaro is a better car than the Ecoboost Mustang for Autocross.
Old 01-04-2017, 12:54 PM   #8
rotis

FS is good if you're staying stock. I am personally a fan of STP where the new Camaro just got classed. It's mostly suspension mods, wider wheels/tires, and limited power mods. I don't think the car is really hurting for power, but the suspension work and wide tires will definitely help it dodge cones faster.

I think the car will match up well against the Mustang, hoping for some great battles in 2017.

The 1LE is eligible to run in STP under the regional catch-all. That's probably a better option for a stock 1LE versus getting killed in AS, you just can't run national events in STP with it unless it gets officially classed there. The only thing differentiating the 1LE in ST-trim is the eLSD, so as long as it doesn't turn out to be an insurmountable performance advantage there is a reasonable chance that the V8 1LE gets classed in STP sometime this year.

The 2017 Draft rules are current regarding the STP allowances- http://cdn.growassets.net/user_files...2016-12-12.pdf
Old 01-04-2017, 03:34 PM   #9
Egon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotis View Post
FS is good if you're staying stock. I am personally a fan of STP where the new Camaro just got classed. It's mostly suspension mods, wider wheels/tires, and limited power mods. I don't think the car is really hurting for power, but the suspension work and wide tires will definitely help it dodge cones faster.

I think the car will match up well against the Mustang, hoping for some great battles in 2017.

The 1LE is eligible to run in STP under the regional catch-all. That's probably a better option for a stock 1LE versus getting killed in AS, you just can't run national events in STP with it unless it gets officially classed there. The only thing differentiating the 1LE in ST-trim is the eLSD, so as long as it doesn't turn out to be an insurmountable performance advantage there is a reasonable chance that the V8 1LE gets classed in STP sometime this year.

The 2017 Draft rules are current regarding the STP allowances- http://cdn.growassets.net/user_files...2016-12-12.pdf
The only problem with running in STP is that there are very few if any people running that class. There were a total of 8 drivers in STP at Nationals in 2016 while there were 39 in FS. I run in the Central Carolinas region and we usually have a large turnout of around 200 drivers per event, and not a single one last season ran in STP. It gets really lonely being the only person in a class as I find it reduces your incentive to improve because you either don't have a realistic target to shoot for or a reason to try harder to stay ahead of someone else.
Old 01-04-2017, 04:46 PM   #10
rotis

Yeah, it's tough when you don't have any regional competition and have to resort to calculator racing. I think STP will draw more people this year with the rule changes, I know one other person in my area switching to STP on top of the two others that are already prepped. I'm pretty sure there will be at least 5 cars running at the tour in July, if we can get them all packed with double-drivers it'll be a strong showing. Only time will tell.
Old 01-04-2017, 05:43 PM   #11
JRL1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotis View Post
Yeah, it's tough when you don't have any regional competition and have to resort to calculator racing. I think STP will draw more people this year with the rule changes, I know one other person in my area switching to STP on top of the two others that are already prepped. I'm pretty sure there will be at least 5 cars running at the tour in July, if we can get them all packed with double-drivers it'll be a strong showing. Only time will tell.
I will run AS, instead of STP so I won't have to run against Otis at the Crows Landing National Tour
Old 01-04-2017, 07:56 PM   #12
destoups

Drives: 2019 1SS 1LE
John, you'd still be FS in a 2015, right?
destoups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 08:15 PM   #13
JRL1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by destoups View Post
John, you'd still be FS in a 2015, right?
I just got my 2017 SS 1LE, now you and Mark can beat my AS car with your DS car!

Last edited by JRL1LE; 01-04-2017 at 08:42 PM.
Old 01-04-2017, 09:03 PM   #14
JRL1LE

Here is the new beast
Attached Images