Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 01-30-2020, 03:10 PM   #43
foshjowler

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2.0T, 91 Miata
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Chief View Post
I drove a 6 from 2012 to 2019. 5th and 6th gen. I know how they run and what they sound like. The V8 is just in a different class.

I can't describe what the difference in torque and horsepower feels like but dealerships are really eager to offer test drives. You should try it.
I've driven all three motors, and unless you're dead set on the V8 for straight-line things and sound, the other motors are lighter and compliment the chassis better.
foshjowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 03:54 PM   #44
gtfoxy
Account Suspended

Drives: '21 Wild Cherry ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by foshjowler View Post
I've driven all three motors, and unless you're dead set on the V8 for straight-line things and sound, the other motors are lighter and compliment the chassis better.
I could see the balance being very good in the 4 & 6.

When I started looking I didn’t even know they made a 4cyl Turbo. The fact that it makes 275HP & the V6 over 300 is crazy. The 93 LT1 made 275HO & it was the hottest thing in the pony car arena. Now a 4 banger makes that in stock form.

I, however, didn’t even consider either at the time. I wanted a V8 as that is mostly what I have always had. Not that I haven’t owned 4 & 6 turbo cars, V8’s were always my favorite. V8 turbos taking the cake.

OP, you still owe $27k?
gtfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 05:22 PM   #45
protovack

Drives: 2019 2LT 2.0T M6 Riverside Blue
Quote:
I drove a 6 from 2012 to 2019. 5th and 6th gen. I know how they run and what they sound like. The V8 is just in a different class.

I can't describe what the difference in torque and horsepower feels like but dealerships are really eager to offer test drives. You should try it.
I've owned a 1978 with a built 350 V8, also owned a 6th gen SS 1LE and put multiple track days on it, and I've driven the 6 and now own a turbo 4. The smaller engine cars do not drive like generic sedans, and they definitely deserve the Camaro name. Heck, my turbo 4 is faster than my 1978 ever was.

People should also remember how much a difference rotating mass makes. If you have the extremely heavy OEM 20" wheels, you can achieve a remarkable improvement in power and fuel economy, just by going with lighter wheels. The point is, there are simple things you can do to get more power with the lighter cars, and not everyone needs, or wants the LT1. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed all of the V8 cars I've owned, I just like to present a balanced perspective to people coming on the board asking whether they should make big financial decisions in the pursuit of "moar power".

Last edited by protovack; 01-30-2020 at 06:51 PM.
protovack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 07:37 PM   #46
SoarinSnek

Drives: 2020 Camaro
Ok. Can someone answer me this question. Reason why I'm secretly in love with the V8 is because aftermarket stuff out there favor the V8 more than V6s. Example corsa exhausts only touch V8s (you can get connector anyway but troublesome) and GM has CAIs only for V8s (2016-17 intake they sell which wont fit) and unless I get a tune it will be pointless. All im trying to accomplish with a V6 (if I can) is to get it as fast as a V8. I'm happy with my car. Its straight piped, I had plans on getting an xpipe with a borla exhaust later on but I'm seeing which dealer is friendly with tunes that wont void my warrenty but it sounds like from what I'm hearing a v8 wont give me trouble. I love my car and its roars. I'm not getting super fast for track, I would like it as fast as my brother in laws scat pack charger and a V8 SS just to be a badass daily driver.
SoarinSnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 07:46 PM   #47
HCI2000SS

Drives: 2018 Camaro V6/RS
Only way to be as fast as the V8 is some sort of forced induction
HCI2000SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 07:54 PM   #48
protovack

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoarinSnek View Post
Ok. Can someone answer me this question. Reason why I'm secretly in love with the V8 is because aftermarket stuff out there favor the V8 more than V6s. Example corsa exhausts only touch V8s (you can get connector anyway but troublesome) and GM has CAIs only for V8s (2016-17 intake they sell which wont fit) and unless I get a tune it will be pointless. All im trying to accomplish with a V6 (if I can) is to get it as fast as a V8. I'm happy with my car. Its straight piped, I had plans on getting an xpipe with a borla exhaust later on but I'm seeing which dealer is friendly with tunes that wont void my warrenty but it sounds like from what I'm hearing a v8 wont give me trouble. I love my car and its roars. I'm not getting super fast for track, I would like it as fast as my brother in laws scat pack charger and a V8 SS just to be a badass daily driver.
Okay, so if you really are not happy with the power of the V6, which, to me it sounds like you aren't, then realize that it will cost you more to make it into an SS than just buying an SS in the first place. If you are SURE, that you will only be happy with 455 horses, and you are committed to staying with the 6th gen platform, then your only choice is the cut your losses and find either an LT1 or an SS. You'll lose 6-10 grand depending on how it plays out. The SS is more of a track car and if you know you'll never track, its probably pointless to get it. However, you could snag a used SS for less than a new LT1. It's still a pretty expensive proposition all together, but if you can afford the loss, it's worth it to get the car you really want.

The other question is, is this trade something you need to do right now? Or could you wait a few years, save your money, and see what the 7th gen camaro looks like?
Old 01-30-2020, 08:34 PM   #49
SoarinSnek

Quote:
Originally Posted by protovack View Post
The other question is, is this trade something you need to do right now? Or could you wait a few years, save your money, and see what the 7th gen camaro looks like?
I can wait for years or settle to push my V6 to its fullest. I'm just simply saying what are some things to make it as fast as the Lt1 engine in the car. Exhaust, downpipes, better tires, lighter rims, etc. I couldnt afford the 2LT because of my awful trade in and I was lucky enough to get the 1lt. Maybe I can snag the 2lt with a small down payment.

I can wait for years to come and get a V8 hopefully before or towards the near end of Camaro

Last edited by SoarinSnek; 01-30-2020 at 09:00 PM.
Old 01-30-2020, 08:53 PM   #50
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
You will have to spend a boatload of money to make it faster than the SS and forget the V6 against the Dodge ScatPack. It just won’t happen. Get a used SS and build it up if the hp is not enough for you. No matter how much money you put in the V6, it will never be a V8 LT1!��
Old 01-30-2020, 09:10 PM   #51
SoarinSnek

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT4Greg View Post
You will have to spend a boatload of money to make it faster than the SS and forget the V6 against the Dodge ScatPack. It just won’t happen. Get a used SS and build it up if the hp is not enough for you. No matter how much money you put in the V6, it will never be a V8 LT1!��
I always assumed I could have the advantage being 1k pounds lighter and the weight distribution is better than that charger.
Old 01-30-2020, 10:17 PM   #52
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
I always assumed I could have the advantage being 1k pounds lighter and the weight distribution is better than that charger.
That scat pack has a 6.4 engine with 485 hp and 475 lb-ft torque, and it's "only" ~800 pounds heavier, there is no way you will compete with it stock despite the weight advantage. You'd need to add at least 100 hp, which will be difficult on a V6 with 335 hp that is very well tuned from the factory, unless you turn to forced induction.

It is a definite possibility, but as others said, makes the car harder to sell down the road, so you need to carefully weigh your options

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 11:47 PM   #53
protovack

Quote:
Out on the track, sure that logic would hold.

If you wanted to mod a 6th gen Camaro to be competitive with the SS, you would have wanted to get a 2.0 LTG and do full upgrades on it, none of which add any weight and so an LTG making 350-375 lb/ft of torque would probably be right up your alley. Of course, your warranty would also be gone

You can absolutely supercharge your V6, there are multiple options and several people on the board who have done it. Just don't think its going to be cheap, and you're probably better off just saving your money and getting an SS. I think the V6 supercharger route is more for people that bought a nice high option V6, really love their car and don't want to get rid of it, but just want the extra power, and who are into modding.

If you don't want to supercharge, then you are limited. You will not be hanging with scat pack challengers and LT1s at the drag strip with a naturally aspirated LGX. If thats what matters to you, then you'll have to go either forced induction on your V6 or trade in. Also, be realistic with your finances. If you couldn't afford a 2LT V6 and had to step down to a 1LT for financial reasons, how in the world can you afford to lose 5-10 grand on a trade in and then buy a car with a V8 that is more expensive to own in every way?

Last edited by protovack; 01-31-2020 at 12:06 AM.
Old 01-31-2020, 12:04 AM   #54
wintertopdown

Drives: 22 Convertible V8 LT1
The v6 is great and sets the stage for the platform, I have 85,260 miles on mine and drive it cross country. I'll upgrade to a v8 next but enjoy what I have in the meantime.
wintertopdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 12:44 AM   #55
396ssrat

Drives: 66 Chevelle SS
Quote:
If you're not 100% financially ready do not test drive a V8 in any trim. It will make your 6 feel like a generic sedan. You will wonder how they can even call your car a Camaro.

You can always take your car to a dealership and see what they'll give you for it. And wait till the end of the month and/or quarter.
Apparently you are an upper class person who thinks anything less than what you want to own is sub par. I really love my grandsons lowly 6 cylinder Camaro 3LT R/S. It is one loaded mofo and fwiw it looks better in the front than it's '19 SS bretheren. Yes, it only has 335hp like that's not much.
My old N/a chevy only has 901 single 4bbl hp but that takes nothing away from the kid's 6 cylinder. Both very nice cars, just different goals. Actually his car is a much better driving car than mine, not quite as comfortable but far better overall 6 cylinder or not.
396ssrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 02:14 AM   #56
SoarinSnek

Quote:
Originally Posted by protovack View Post
Out on the track, sure that logic would hold.

If you wanted to mod a 6th gen Camaro to be competitive with the SS, you would have wanted to get a 2.0 LTG and do full upgrades on it, none of which add any weight and so an LTG making 350-375 lb/ft of torque would probably be right up your alley. Of course, your warranty would also be gone

You can absolutely supercharge your V6, there are multiple options and several people on the board who have done it. Just don't think its going to be cheap, and you're probably better off just saving your money and getting an SS. I think the V6 supercharger route is more for people that bought a nice high option V6, really love their car and don't want to get rid of it, but just want the extra power, and who are into modding.

If you don't want to supercharge, then you are limited. You will not be hanging with scat pack challengers and LT1s at the drag strip with a naturally aspirated LGX. If thats what matters to you, then you'll have to go either forced induction on your V6 or trade in. Also, be realistic with your finances. If you couldn't afford a 2LT V6 and had to step down to a 1LT for financial reasons, how in the world can you afford to lose 5-10 grand on a trade in and then buy a car with a V8 that is more expensive to own in every way?
I'm sure now I can afford a 2lt. Reason being is because my trade in was garbage in value and i was lucky enough to get a good deal. Any higher and i couldnt afford. I could afford it if i didnt have a trade in and bought it off the lot