Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 01-30-2020, 07:03 AM   #29
Jaxcam02

Drives: 2017 Silverado/2017 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasZ View Post
Just keep in mind most mods will not only kill your warranty but will also kill your resale value. Modding seems like the cheaper route in the beginning but once you do it and realize all the hidden costs and depreciation you would of been better off saving for a model you are happy with stock. If you plan to keep it forever then it can be worth it to make it how you want it but if you can get what you want in a stock model that’s the better option. If it’s just to hold you over till you can trade it’s all throw away money. Save it for your down payment instead and you will be a lot better off.

There’s not to many bigger kick in the nuts than the one you get when you realize the car you dropped 15-20k on adding a turbo and everything else that needs upgraded along with it is now worth 5k less than it would be stock.

I didn’t even drive an SS when I decided on a Camaro, I know myself well enough at this point to know I would want to add a super charger within a year of buying it. I’ve learned my lesson on heavily modifying cars the hard way already so I went straight to the zl1 and couldn’t be happier!

Gl!
This is soooo true. I modded the shit out of my 2002 SS, its fast screaming demon, BUT theres no way in hell I will ever get any of that 10k back in a sale. I don't plan on modding any part of my 18 1LE besides maybe long tube headers when the warranty is up. I am not touching the engine on this one.

OP, I would just bite the bullet and try to private sell your v6 and do what you can to get into a SS. I wouldn't let the "brand new" moniker get stuck in your head. You can find these cars slightly used for 5k or more below sticker with a bunch of warranty miles still left on it.

I just bought (in october) a 2018 1SS 1LE for $32k, with 19k miles. I still have 40,000 miles and 3 years on the powertrain warranty, 16k, 1 year on the bumper to bumper and a looooooong time on the emissions equipment and corrosion stuff.

I didn't need 3 vehicles but I really wanted a c7 vette or a gen6 camaro, so I just went and got it. I put enough money down and my payments are not bad. Where theres a will, theres a way. The last thing you want to be is unhappy in life. Money isn't everything. lol
Old 01-30-2020, 07:11 AM   #30
Mov Ov3r
What speed limit?

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoarinSnek View Post
I was looking to tune for E85 or 93 octane later in life. I use 87 since its recommended.
He is talking about the V8 requires premium, also tires will be more expensive and you won't be able to rotate them unless you go square set up. There are additional expenses to consider with the V8.. many actually.
Mov Ov3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 08:05 AM   #31
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
OP see what CarMax will offer you for your car and get a used V8 Camaro from them. CarMax gave me $2K more for my A10 ZL1 than any dealer would. And even better it can be a pleasant exprerience. Which is why I am ordering a car from Becky. I am doing the stupid thing and buying a new car. But Becky is fun to work with and fair. No subterfuge or hassles. And she know Camaros and how to order just what you want.

But if you only want new then you have to pay the price. Buying new cars is not a good financial move no matter how you slice it unless you have the $$ to burn. Camaros are reliable cars built to be abused. (Have fun with) Think about this: You cannot afford a new V8 Camaro. So reconsider buying used. The minute you get in that car and start it up, you will forget new or used. You will just smile.
Old 01-30-2020, 08:14 AM   #32
foshjowler

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2.0T, 91 Miata
Quote:
Originally Posted by awrj2000 View Post
I know things change and this is just my opinion on the situation.

I had a 2012 V6 Auto. Camaro... in day to day it actually did really well.
It is a heavy car, but the gear ratio keeps it feeling sporty.
The one change I did was put the vitesse throttle controller on it...really made a difference to throttle response.

4 years later I traded the car for a new 2016 V8 Auto Camaro. (still enjoy it).

What I found is the loud exhaust I can't "goof off" as much because cops can hear you 1/2 mile away.

Also as far as sound goes...
First gear - 0-25, really fast wind up on the motor.
Second gear - 25-50, great sound
Third gear - 50-90, .... your speeding!

What I'm getting at is you really don't get a chance to wind out the car and listen to it without being well into ticket range.
(as a comparison to a truck that makes lots of noise, but doesn't move) This car moves!

Looking between the V6 and V8 both do really well to 100 mph. After that the V8 will sprint into 140's and walk into 160's. Where the V6 walks into 120's and crawls into 130's.

With traction control all performance is limited to the tires, especially the V8 as far as acceleration.

I find running all season tires is much better for me, a few points to think about:
1- Rainy day: Performance tires seems like your on ice, top speed 45 mph
2- Cold weather: Performance tires constantly break loose and traction control kicks in
3- Tire life: Performance expect 10-15k if you want to hear the exhaust, 20k miles if you baby it (why baby it when your wanting more than the V6)

15k miles on a daily driver is generally under a year...$600 a year in tires.

Final note on performance tires...how often will you really try to push 1 G in a turn or take it above 100 mph and maintain that speed? Track days?

Getting back to the point. Both the v6 and v8 will do well up to 100mph.
Traction control is limiting both more than you realize at present.
Enjoy your car a few years and then test drive the v8 a few different weekends before you trade in.
I agree with everything that's said here. 335 HP is a shit load for street driving. Even at a track day, more power doesn't mean more fun. It just means you hit higher speeds on the straights, which then you're spending more on brakes and tires and closer to death.

A couple of years ago I got a really good deal on a Coyote Mustang and found myself doing 100+ mph every time I got on it, whether it be passing someone or an on-ramp. And you know what happened, I got myself a reckless driving ticket after a few months. The car was the most fun with my foot to the floor. I traded it in a couple of months later on a Focus ST, a car that is fun doing things other than flooring it.

I recently traded the Focus ST in on a 2.0T Camaro. The really good thing about these Camaros is that the chassis is the best part about the car, it's one of the best currently being produced. There's a reason Randy Pobst, the guy who sets the lap times for MotorTrend, bought a 2.0T. It's the lightest of the bunch and has a 50/50 weight balance. The V6 isn't too far off of those marks.

Find a way to have fun with the V6. I recommend autocross, it's cheap, not that hard on the car, and you don't need to do anything to the car to start competing. Also, a 2.0T Camaro won the CAM class at Nationals this past year. A class that was made to attract V8 Mustangs and Camaros.
foshjowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 08:25 AM   #33
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by foshjowler View Post
I agree with everything that's said here. 335 HP is a shit load for street driving. Even at a track day, more power doesn't mean more fun. It just means you hit higher speeds on the straights, which then you're spending more on brakes and tires and closer to death.
This ^. Words of wisdom right there. I watched somone else turn my TT 1LE shiny side down on a race track. Lucily he was fine and he climbed out the back window. His son sewed his arm up at the track and now he has new stories to tell his grandchildren. The moral to the story? Never let a Mustang driver drive your fast Camaro. They can't handle the truth!
Old 01-30-2020, 08:44 AM   #34
foshjowler

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2.0T, 91 Miata
Quote:
Originally Posted by samurai View Post
Have you though about just adding a better exhaust to the V6? I'm pretty sure adding e.g. a borla to your car will make you not miss the V8 as much
I'm not so sure making a V6 louder will make the want for a V8 less. A big plus to the V8 is the sound, and a loud V6 will just highlight that it's not a V8.
foshjowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 09:08 AM   #35
Kaseikei

Drives: 2018 Summit White 1LT
OP,

I went through the same thing a couple of months ago. I started regretting the 2.0T after my financials started justifying a V8, as of right now i'm committed to my 2.0T i love the car, the look, the drive. If you want a V8 because it would make you happy then go for it. Don't do it for the hype of V8 power, a lot of people can't put the power down because of daily traffic or bad weather.

Mind you i'm in no way bashing the V8 its clearly a beast of a car but be happy with what you got make the most of it, and spend the $$ you would lose trading up by making your V6 your own. I'm sure you'll love it once you stop comparing.

Best,
Kaseikei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 12:33 PM   #36
Red Chief

Drives: 2020 LT1 Black
If you're not 100% financially ready do not test drive a V8 in any trim. It will make your 6 feel like a generic sedan. You will wonder how they can even call your car a Camaro.

You can always take your car to a dealership and see what they'll give you for it. And wait till the end of the month and/or quarter.
Red Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 12:42 PM   #37
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
i wanted a 5th gen ss v8 but couldnt afford it at the time so i got a cobalt ss and loved it and had it for years, ended up selling it and saving up and getting a 16 ss v8 and don regret it at all most fun car i ever had!
Old 01-30-2020, 01:53 PM   #38
JT58

Drives: Former 2016 Camaro 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by foshjowler View Post
I'm not so sure making a V6 louder will make the want for a V8 less. A big plus to the V8 is the sound, and a loud V6 will just highlight that it's not a V8.
True- a V8 sound cannot be duplicated with a V6 or 4. But the V6 in the Camaro does sound really good for a V6. The stock (non NPP) really sucked in mine- almost no sound at all. The NPP sounds good and not worth upgrading in my opinion. The MBRP in mine is awesome, I especially love it at start up. To me the V8 has deep, aggressive sound, which I love in it's own way. The V6 I like too- it howls with the MPRP. It's whatever sound you like......

I will also comment again on balance of the Camaro with the V6 or the 4 in front. I had a Miata ND- and it was a blast to drive. My 2018 Mustang GT and 2011 Gen 5 Camaro SS not so much- I could feel the weight of the V8's in the front. My Camaro with the V6, square tire set up with Stance 10" wide wheels is so well balanced, I compare to the Miata ND I had, except bigger. My V6 Camaro is one of the best cars I ever had- amongst a lot of cars......
Old 01-30-2020, 02:01 PM   #39
protovack

Drives: 2019 2LT 2.0T M6 Riverside Blue
All I can say is, just wait and don't do anything stupid that will take you years to recover from financially. And evaluate your car based on how you feel when driving it, not on a fantasy about how much more fun you "might" have in another car. I can tell you, having personally driven all the 6th gen camaros, that they are all fun, and any particular engine is not "more fun" than the next. Just fun in different ways. And there are a small minority of people out there who are offended by that. They think that because they spent $65k on a ZL1, that they are having 3-4x as much fun as the person who bought a 19k LS 2.0T on special closeout as a cheap fun car to just flog it and not worry about the paint. The point is, we're all having fun with our 6th gens in different ways. For me personally, to truly have fun with a car, I need to be able to drive to the limit of that car or slightly beyond. It's taken me a few years, a few cars, and some money to learn that. As a result, I have gravitated toward cars that are lighter with less power. Only you can find out what you truly enjoy. Just take care not to turn yourself upside down financially in the process!

Last edited by protovack; 01-30-2020 at 02:40 PM.
protovack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 02:02 PM   #40
enzia35

Drives: '16 Garnet Red 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddy1LE View Post
What? You forgot to put /s after what you wrote.
Nope, live in the moment dude!
enzia35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 02:46 PM   #41
protovack

Drives: 2019 2LT 2.0T M6 Riverside Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Chief View Post
If you're not 100% financially ready do not test drive a V8 in any trim. It will make your 6 feel like a generic sedan. You will wonder how they can even call your car a Camaro.
Suddenly a sports car with 330hp on the alpha platform is a "generic sedan" and you "can't even call it a camaro"? That is probably the most outlandish thing I've read in a while. I know you're being a little flowery with your language, but man....wow. Would you go up to someone in real life and tell them their V6 Camaro was "just a generic sedan"?

Last edited by protovack; 01-30-2020 at 05:13 PM.
protovack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 02:56 PM   #42
Red Chief

Drives: 2020 LT1 Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by protovack View Post
Suddenly a sports car with 330hp on the alpha platform is a "generic sedan" and you "can't even call it a camaro"? That is probably the most outlandish thing I've read in a while. I know you're being a little flowery with your language, but man....wow. Would you go up to someone in real life and tell them their V6 Camaro was "just a generic sedan"?
I drove a 6 from 2012 to 2019. 5th and 6th gen. I know how they run and what they sound like. The V8 is just in a different class.

I can't describe what the difference in torque and horsepower feels like but dealerships are really eager to offer test drives. You should try it.
Red Chief is offline   Reply With Quote