Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 01-09-2020, 11:40 PM   #1
Socal_Camaro

Drives: 2017 Camaro LS 2.0T
Any luck building your base 2.0 LTG for the track?

I have a 2017 2.0T LS Manual and so far I LOVE this car.

I've been doing some reading on mods and got to wondering - has anyone had success modding their daily driver Camaro into a track capable car?

I've never been to the track but it looks like a lot of fun!

Here's what I'm thinking of doing to get it ready for an open track day...

Sports suspension
4 piston Brembo Brake Calipers
Enhanced cooling system (inter-cooler + ? )
K&N Drop in
ZZP Catted Down
ZZP Remote Tuned
Some sort of exhaust system

What sort of experience do you have with your Camaro at the track? I'd love to hear from owners of all trims!
Socal_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 12:09 AM   #2
protovack

Drives: 2019 2LT 2.0T M6 Riverside Blue
Welcome! Yes the LTG can be amazing on the road course as well as autocross. It also does not need much to be track capable.

If you are new to track driving, I recommend doing a high performance driving course with your car. They will tell you what you need to know. Safety is the biggest concern above all else, and for that reason, most people are going to say upgrading brake pads and brake fluid is 100% required. I partially agree, with the caveat that an experienced driver can drive in such a way that spares the brakes. Sometimes beginners can get a little over-zealous, especially in a car with a lot of power, and develop bad habits like over-relying on nannies and brakes to save them in the corners.

It's a good lesson to go out and see just how far you can push your stock vehicle until the brakes fade, for example. You can do this on backroads by yourself, by repeatedly accelerating and braking over and over again, until the brake pedal starts to feel mushy. That is an important feeling to become familiar with, because if it happens at the track, you know to get off the track immediately. It's also important to study how the traction and stability control systems work and what happens when you turn them off.

Bottom line is, you could go take a high performance driving course right now, with your car completely stock. You don't need any bolt ons to go to the track. The LTG has more than enough power to get you around the track. People track their BRZ/FRS/Miatas which have way less power. Tell your instructor that your car has stock brake pads and fluid. They will adjust their driving and the lessons accordingly, something they are completely used to doing. The thing to remember is, as a beginner, you should not be driving fast or hard enough to toast your stock brakes.

There is a great amount of information and support available in the road course section, i'd head on over there and start reading old threads.

Me personally, if I was going to regularly and intensely track my 2.0t, these would be my "essential" upgrades:
- aftermarket oil cooler
- 4 piston brembos and a "track day" type brake pad
- castrol SRF brake fluid
- a dedicated set of really light 18" wheels and summer only tires

Last edited by protovack; 01-10-2020 at 12:41 AM.
protovack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 10:33 AM   #3
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
tyler has built his to track it he also works at zzp !
Old 01-10-2020, 11:18 AM   #4
Hops

Drives: 2019 1ss 1le, blue wrap
Before doing anything to the car, i think i'd try a few autocross events first. Then do SCCA TrackNight with a brake fluid change (maybe). (For me tracknights are the cheapest way to get on the track with track day insurance.). I'd then reevaluate what i want to do with the car. Maybe trading in on a 1le is worth considering, maybe that would cost you less than the proposed mods?
Hops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 11:46 AM   #5
Sales@Phastek

Drives: 2016 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by protovack View Post
Welcome! Yes the LTG can be amazing on the road course as well as autocross. It also does not need much to be track capable.

If you are new to track driving, I recommend doing a high performance driving course with your car. They will tell you what you need to know. Safety is the biggest concern above all else, and for that reason, most people are going to say upgrading brake pads and brake fluid is 100% required. I partially agree, with the caveat that an experienced driver can drive in such a way that spares the brakes. Sometimes beginners can get a little over-zealous, especially in a car with a lot of power, and develop bad habits like over-relying on nannies and brakes to save them in the corners.

It's a good lesson to go out and see just how far you can push your stock vehicle until the brakes fade, for example. You can do this on backroads by yourself, by repeatedly accelerating and braking over and over again, until the brake pedal starts to feel mushy. That is an important feeling to become familiar with, because if it happens at the track, you know to get off the track immediately. It's also important to study how the traction and stability control systems work and what happens when you turn them off.

Bottom line is, you could go take a high performance driving course right now, with your car completely stock. You don't need any bolt ons to go to the track. The LTG has more than enough power to get you around the track. People track their BRZ/FRS/Miatas which have way less power. Tell your instructor that your car has stock brake pads and fluid. They will adjust their driving and the lessons accordingly, something they are completely used to doing. The thing to remember is, as a beginner, you should not be driving fast or hard enough to toast your stock brakes.

There is a great amount of information and support available in the road course section, i'd head on over there and start reading old threads.

Me personally, if I was going to regularly and intensely track my 2.0t, these would be my "essential" upgrades:
- aftermarket oil cooler
- 4 piston brembos and a "track day" type brake pad
- castrol SRF brake fluid
- a dedicated set of really light 18" wheels and summer only tires
We actually sell full synthetic hydraulic brake fluid which is what the castrol SRF brake fluid is. Here is a link to MOTUL DOT 5.1 NON-SILICONE BRAKE FLUID on our website. We recommend if you are going to change your brake fluid you change your factory brake lines as well, here is a link to GOODRIDGE G-STOP BRAKE LINE KIT which will replace your factory brake lines on your 6th gen 2.0T Camaro Non-1LE. If you have a 1LE 2.0T Camaro unfortunately these brake lines will not work out.

-Trae
Sales@Phastek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 11:53 AM   #6
Start The Machine

Drives: 2016 M6 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sales@Phastek View Post
We actually sell full synthetic hydraulic brake fluid which is what the castrol SRF brake fluid is. Here is a link to MOTUL DOT 5.1 NON-SILICONE BRAKE FLUID on our website. We recommend if you are going to change your brake fluid you change your factory brake lines as well, here is a link to GOODRIDGE G-STOP BRAKE LINE KIT which will replace your factory brake lines on your 6th gen 2.0T Camaro Non-1LE. If you have a 1LE 2.0T Camaro unfortunately these brake lines will not work out.

-Trae
What stainless steel brake lines work with the Brembo 6 Pistons on my 2.0T?
RS Package, HD Cooling Package, Brembo 6 Piston Front Brakes, SRP Racing Pedals, Soler Performance Throttle Controller, Dyno Tuned by Trifecta, Velossa Tech Ram Air, Mishimoto Intake, aFe Air Filter, Mishimoto Charge Pipes, ZZP 67mm Throttle Body, Trifecta T40 Stage 2 Turbo, JacFab Recirculation Valve, PTP Turbo Blanket, ZZP Catted Downpipe, Mishimoto Pro Cat-Back Quad Tip Exhaust, Mishimoto Catch Cans, Mishimoto Coolant Reservoir Tank, GM SEMA Grill, Ikon Motorsports Front Fascia Extension, Ikon Motorsports 1LE Spoiler, American Authority ZL1 Side Skirts, AMPP Quad Tip Rear Valance
Start The Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 02:59 PM   #7
Sales@Phastek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Start The Machine View Post
What stainless steel brake lines work with the Brembo 6 Pistons on my 2.0T?
Unfortunately we currently do not have a brake line kit that fits 1LE packaged Camaros. We do want to eventually sell a 1LE brake line kit so only time will tell.

-Trae
Old 01-10-2020, 03:14 PM   #8
Sales@Phastek

We actually list a oil cooler as well for 2.0T Camaros, here is a link to the Mishimoto engine oil cooler for 6th Gen 2.0T Camaros.

OP if you were looking for exhaust options we also list aFe and Mishimoto's Downpipe options for 2.0Ts along with several axle backs, and mid pipe options. If you have any questions about these products you can always call us at (855) 742-7835 or email at support@phastek.com.

-Trae
Old 01-11-2020, 01:12 PM   #9
Socal_Camaro

Drives: 2017 Camaro LS 2.0T
You guys rock!

Looks like I've got some reading and thinking to do but I'm so excited to (safely) open her up on the track one day soon.
Socal_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 06:35 PM   #10
protovack

just remember, more than anything else, you need to be able to stop your car. Therefore, always be aware of what brake fluid is in your system, its age, whether its been boiled before, etc. You never want to be caught out there with a mushy brake pedal. There are many high performance brake fluids out there. The cheaper ones work okay, but are only good for a limited amount of time, and then should be replaced. Higher performance, more expensive fluids like Castrol SRF can be left in all season, and even in humid climates it will retain performance due to its very high wet boiling point.

Boil your coolant and you might limp to the pits.

Boil your brakes and you might crash into a wall.

Always, always know exactly what brake fluid you are running and its condition, your pads, make sure your tires have enough tread, etc. These are what affect safety, and thus, are your number one concerns on the track. Once you are fully confident with all of that, then worry about power adding, etc.
Old 01-12-2020, 07:19 AM   #11
cmfhsu

Drives: 2019 2SS 1LE
@Phastek - I wouldn't consider Motul RBF600 or 660 to be an acceptable replacement for Castrol SRF for track work or daily work. Not all synthetic fluids are created the same, and while RBF600 is a good fluid, it doesn't stack up to Castrol's long-lasting dailyability and compressability, IMO.

Consider this page for a less numbers-based, but more experience based review of brake fluids: https://thebuildjournal.com/tech-gui...eview-analysis

I understand we're talking about a novice's first time at the track in a lighter camaro, but it seems misleading to consider all synthetic brake fluids equal.

Edit: I now see the link is actually Motul 5.1, not RBF600/660. I take even more offense at considering that an equivalent, because that doesn't even match up on dry boiling temps. I have no track experience on Motul 5.1 or RBF600 in my Camaro, but I can suggest that this fluid is not an acceptable alternative for SRF.
cmfhsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 03:30 PM   #12
protovack

^^^ I would second that, I'm not so sure about recommending motul 5.1 for the track. There are some people in this corvette thread that have boiled their motul 5.1 pretty easily.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...en-140mph.html