#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro Convertible

Bigwormgraphix

Old 07-18-2023, 06:17 PM   #197
chovaz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uk2019 View Post
Definitely no advanced upholstery needed, just a few bolts, clips and 2 pop rivets. When I replace the top again (maybe the over the next few weeks if my warranty claim is processed) I'll take pictures and write a guide
How did it work out? I’m thinking to order a top and replace mine next week. It’s almost to the point now that I’m worrying about the glass just completely flying off
chovaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2023, 10:15 AM   #198
jam2

Drives: 2021 Camaro RS convertible
Top issues

Just checking with forum members to see if anyone is having top glass issues with any verts built in 21 or later. It appeared in21 that the top material on both sides of the glass is not stretched tight as was the case in the early 6th gen. Verts. Saw a 23 on dealer lot that the top around the sides of the glass is not stretched tight. This must be the fix by Chevy for the top glass seperation issue. My 21 vert is not a daily driver and garage kept. No top glass issues yet.
jam2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2023, 07:39 PM   #199
02blackss

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by jam2 View Post
Just checking with forum members to see if anyone is having top glass issues with any verts built in 21 or later. It appeared in21 that the top material on both sides of the glass is not stretched tight as was the case in the early 6th gen. Verts. Saw a 23 on dealer lot that the top around the sides of the glass is not stretched tight. This must be the fix by Chevy for the top glass seperation issue. My 21 vert is not a daily driver and garage kept. No top glass issues yet.
Might be too early to comment on my car. I have a 23' ZL1 vert with no issues as of yet. I picked it up in October of 22' I still think it has something to do with hot sun, glue becoming soft, then hardening again....repeat repeat..In terms of the material being a little looser. I also noticed this as well.

Jason
02blackss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2023, 05:39 AM   #200
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02blackss View Post
Might be too early to comment on my car. I have a 23' ZL1 vert with no issues as of yet.
My 2017 garage queen show car has been fine for 6 years. Even though it sucks for those with issues, very few cars have them. So my advice is to relax and enjoy your

SIX-HUNDRED FIFTY HORSEPOWER CONVERTIBLE!!!
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2023, 02:50 PM   #201
MANNAXMAN

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunkk View Post
My 2017 garage queen show car has been fine for 6 years. Even though it sucks for those with issues, very few cars have them. So my advice is to relax and enjoy your
SIX-HUNDRED FIFTY HORSEPOWER CONVERTIBLE!!!
I agree with Gunkk. I purchased my car on Labor Day 2016. It's my daily, and it has just under 60,000 miles on it. I'm experiencing the rear window delamination on my top, but it really hasn't gotten any worse since this post. When it gets to the point where I need to replace the top, I'll replace the top. Until then, I don't plan to give it much thought.
1961 Volkswagen Beetle with Sliding Ragtop Sunroof (2009-Present)
1964 Volkswagen Beetle with aftermarket Sliding Ragtop Sunroof (Sold)
Follow me on Instagram - @gen6_2ss_vert
MANNAXMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2023, 05:16 PM   #202
Coach Mike

Drives: 2017 2SS Convertible, 1978 Formula
Just noticed mine coming loose with a long gap along the top edge of the window. Took it to the dealer and not sure where this will go yet, but got a quote for a little over $3k. Description says "not enough primer was used at time of assembly" - not too happy about having to pay for a description that says it was defective when assembled. Plus I did get an extended warranty that hasn't been good for anything yet - I had the trim covers break for the top a while back too.

Looking at and considering option to buy the new top from GAHH for about $1300 and doing it myself. Anyone else done this besides the guy from the UK - or can he comment if he's still around too?

Thanks in advance for any additional help here.
Coach Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2023, 05:30 PM   #203
Uk2019
UK2019

Drives: Camaro 2017 2ss/eu spec convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Mike View Post
Just noticed mine coming loose with a long gap along the top edge of the window. Took it to the dealer and not sure where this will go yet, but got a quote for a little over $3k. Description says "not enough primer was used at time of assembly" - not too happy about having to pay for a description that says it was defective when assembled. Plus I did get an extended warranty that hasn't been good for anything yet - I had the trim covers break for the top a while back too.

Looking at and considering option to buy the new top from GAHH for about $1300 and doing it myself. Anyone else done this besides the guy from the UK - or can he comment if he's still around too?

Thanks in advance for any additional help here.
Hi, I'm still around. I have swapped the top twice now. Once from oem to gahh and the second time from gahh to gahh, each time because of delamination. Unfortunately the second gahh top is also failing and I'm chasing their warranty dept who are terrible at replying.

The installation itself is definitely within the competency of a DIYer.
Uk2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2023, 06:56 AM   #204
Coach Mike

Drives: 2017 2SS Convertible, 1978 Formula
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uk2019 View Post
Hi, I'm still around. I have swapped the top twice now. Once from oem to gahh and the second time from gahh to gahh, each time because of delamination. Unfortunately the second gahh top is also failing and I'm chasing their warranty dept who are terrible at replying.

The installation itself is definitely within the competency of a DIYer.
Thanks UK. I talked to a local guy and he was willing to give a try to reseal the window with primer and adhesive. I figured not much to lose as he said he'd refund if it didn't work out. Well, it didn't hold and he's gonna refund as promised.

I asked him if he'd be open to do the replacement and he said it's a two man job and he's a one man shop, so he wasn't interested in doing it at all. I was told similar by two other shops here as well.

I did get three quotes that ranged from 2500 to a little over 3K - guess which one was the highest. Right, my dealer that won't cover anything even though I bought the extended warranty with the car from them. As others have said, the convertible roof and rear window are "trim parts" and not covered under warranty beyond the 3 years. What a bunch of crap that is when they openly tell you that the top was defective at the time of manufacture due to not enough primer used at time of assembly

Anyway, now that I got that out, I'd be interested in finding out how hard this is to do. If UK2019 has any way to share the procedure with pics, that would be greatly appreciated!! The guys that sell the aftermarket replacements I looked up (GAHH and Robbins) are owned by the same company and I was told the GAHH would be the one the shops here would use - it's about 1300 to buy.

Thanks again,

Mike
Coach Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2023, 12:28 PM   #205
Uk2019
UK2019

Drives: Camaro 2017 2ss/eu spec convertible
Quote:
Thanks UK. I talked to a local guy and he was willing to give a try to reseal the window with primer and adhesive. I figured not much to lose as he said he'd refund if it didn't work out. Well, it didn't hold and he's gonna refund as promised.

I asked him if he'd be open to do the replacement and he said it's a two man job and he's a one man shop, so he wasn't interested in doing it at all. I was told similar by two other shops here as well.

I did get three quotes that ranged from 2500 to a little over 3K - guess which one was the highest. Right, my dealer that won't cover anything even though I bought the extended warranty with the car from them. As others have said, the convertible roof and rear window are "trim parts" and not covered under warranty beyond the 3 years. What a bunch of crap that is when they openly tell you that the top was defective at the time of manufacture due to not enough primer used at time of assembly

Anyway, now that I got that out, I'd be interested in finding out how hard this is to do. If UK2019 has any way to share the procedure with pics, that would be greatly appreciated!! The guys that sell the aftermarket replacements I looked up (GAHH and Robbins) are owned by the same company and I was told the GAHH would be the one the shops here would use - it's about 1300 to buy.

Thanks again,

Mike

I'm just a DIYer, no garage, all work done on the drive and managed to do it myself for the first change (oem to gahh) and asked for my wife's help for 10 minutes for the second time (gahh to gahh). Think it took me about 3-4 hours (and A LOT of swearing) but it isn't difficult, just take your time and it's very logically put together. Now that my second gahh top is failing in the same way (delamination) I'm pretty sure I could do swap number 3 in a couple of hours. You'll need a socket set, torx bits, a small drill bit and drill, cheap pop rivet gun and some ear plugs for your neighbours/children/wives when your fingers start hurting from pushing the retaining strips in
Uk2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2023, 02:35 PM   #206
Shock and Steel

Drives: 2023 Camaro Convertible 2LT
Quote:

Thanks again,

Mike
I bought an extended warranty that is not from GM... but from another company that supposedly covers my vehicle in years 4-7 and up to 100,000 miles. According to their representative, the convertible top and mechanics of it are covered in years 4-7. We'll see. Mine is garage-kept, I wonder if that will help with the window staying intact longer.
Shock and Steel is offline   Reply With Quote