Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Bigwormgraphix

Old 03-12-2017, 12:03 PM   #1
Chevy71

Drives: 2016 2SS
Firhawk Indy 500's by Firestone

Has anyone actually tired this tire? On tire rack it's rated better than the Michelin PSS in almost all categories, has a better treadwear rating, and is much cheaper. Usually when something looks to good to be true, it is. I also have never ran a Firestone tire before. Just looking for real world opinions on this tire.
Attached Images

Chevy71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 02:33 PM   #2
Red_Devil16

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
I just ordered these tires on Friday. Gonna have them put on Wednesday. Really hope they are what all the reviews say about them. Never tried a Firestone tire myself but for the price can't really pass it up.
Red_Devil16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 03:41 PM   #3
enzia35

Drives: '16 Garnet Red 1SS
Look at how many reviews there are of each. Law of averages.
enzia35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 04:56 PM   #4
Chevy71

Quote:
Originally Posted by enzia35 View Post
Look at how many reviews there are of each. Law of averages.
That's a good point, considerably less reviews than the PSS's
Old 03-12-2017, 04:58 PM   #5
Chevy71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Devil16 View Post
I just ordered these tires on Friday. Gonna have them put on Wednesday. Really hope they are what all the reviews say about them. Never tried a Firestone tire myself but for the price can't really pass it up.
I'm really curious to see how these work out for you, but won't be able to wait and see how they are treating you with a few thousand miles on them. Mine will need changed shortly haha. Almost to the wear bars now.
Old 03-12-2017, 06:53 PM   #6
OmniCamaro
US Veteran

Drives: 2011 Silver Ice Metallic 2SS/RS A6
I've had them for just over 2 years, I believe. I wouldn't call them super sticky but I also wouldn't say they're as bad as the junk Pirelli's. I've been happy with them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 03-12-2017, 06:54 PM   #7
Eric SS
#becauseracecar

Drives: 2016 SS Sedan, 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmniCamaro View Post
I've had them for just over 2 years, I believe. I wouldn't call them super sticky but I also wouldn't say they're as bad as the junk Pirelli's. I've been happy with them.

You must have the Wide Ovals. These new ones were just released.
Eric SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 06:56 PM   #8
Chevy71

Quote:

How would you say they compare to the PSS or the Goodyear F1's that come with the gen 6?
Old 03-12-2017, 07:56 PM   #9
Dustya

Drives: Overkill Supercharged 2016 CamaroV6
Quote:

You have the wide ovals these are new as previous poster stated they are also from what we have been told just rebranded potenza tires.. apples to oranges the wide ovals is in no way an example of the Indy 500 new tire.
Dustya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 08:17 PM   #10
Chevy71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustya View Post
You have the wide ovals these are new as previous poster stated they are also from what we have been told just rebranded potenza tires.. apples to oranges the wide ovals is in no way an example of the Indy 500 new tire.
Were the potenza's a good tire?

Last edited by Chevy71; 03-12-2017 at 08:30 PM.
Old 03-13-2017, 09:20 AM   #11
DetCam

Drives: 2016 1SS (12/10/2016)
I've only heard good things about the potenza's... maybe not the "best" tire on the market, but certainly the best bang for the buck. I'm getting a set as soon as the cold breaks. I've got enough tread left on my summer tires (original stock set) to autocross, but not enough to do a track day... so I'm debating on how quickly to get them. No Track day plans for a while. Our first local autocross is in a few weeks and we're expecting 2-4 inches of snow today... so we have some conflicting tire needs here in Michigan.

As soon as the weather warms up and I can put my summer wheels back on and get a feel for the stock tires again, I'll pull the trigger on the Firestones and can give a comparison. I have a feeling there will be a few other forum members who live in slightly warmer areas who will get theirs first. It will be interesting to compare notes... see if our opinions are the same.
DetCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 01:33 PM   #12
OmniCamaro
US Veteran

Drives: 2011 Silver Ice Metallic 2SS/RS A6
My bad, thought they were the same.

Old 03-13-2017, 02:18 PM   #13
LesBaer
FMPG

I've had PSS's mounted on 20x10 (285/30/20), 20x11 (305) for over 10k miles and they're the real deal. Was putting down 565rwhp then and they hooked fine. I kept mine around 33psi. Fantastic for hard cornering and would heat up quick on cold mornings, so you can drive even when it's 40F as long as you don't go bananas. I've still got plenty of life in mine. Even got caught in a crazy rain storm once and didn't hydroplane at all on the highway. They don't hook up well enough now though in lower gears at 700+rwhp and I don't drive in the rain, so I'm going for an R compound DR in back. Assuming you're not planning to drastically increase your power output, $ isn't a factor and you want a high performance summer tire, I wouldn't even consider Firestone's, the Pretendaz or anything else.
ARH 1 7/8" ceramic coated full sys w/NPP; Maggie 9.2psi (85mm); Jannetty rough idle cam(TSP), tune and LT4 fuel system; Forgeline VX1 Black PVD (20x10,11); R88R 315's; ALPriority; BMR rear arms, bushings, DS loop; RF intake (red); nGauge

93 octane: 712rwhp, 654rwtq / E85 (E66 mix): 734rwhp, 674rwtq (SuperFlow Dyno)
LesBaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 03:33 PM   #14
bpang1234
You can only YOLO once.

Drives: '16 2SS & '15 Subaru Forester
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesBaer View Post
I've had PSS's mounted on 20x10 (285/30/20), 20x11 (305) for over 10k miles and they're the real deal. Was putting down 565rwhp then and they hooked fine. I kept mine around 33psi. Fantastic for hard cornering and would heat up quick on cold mornings, so you can drive even when it's 40F as long as you don't go bananas. I've still got plenty of life in mine. Even got caught in a crazy rain storm once and didn't hydroplane at all on the highway. They don't hook up well enough now though in lower gears at 700+rwhp and I don't drive in the rain, so I'm going for an R compound DR in back. Assuming you're not planning to drastically increase your power output, $ isn't a factor and you want a high performance summer tire, I wouldn't even consider Firestone's, the Pretendaz or anything else.
...I agree with LesBaer on almost everything, he is pretty much my spirit animal.
-1st Car to have the "full" SEMA High Performance Graphics kit from 6LEDesigns.
-1st Car to have the 6LEDesigns Blade Spoiler.
-Borla S-Type w/ custom H-Pipe
-Procharger P-1X Stage 2
bpang1234 is offline   Reply With Quote