Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

Bigwormgraphix

Old 11-22-2019, 06:29 AM   #4607
gameovergt
G@M30v3RgT

Drives: 2016 Mustang GT 5.0 DIB
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
I will give credit where it is due and say the Mustang does sound good. However it isn't THAT good that it makes the Camaro sound like trash. The Camaro sounds great, even if the Mustang might sound a bit better. One big difference is that I can put LTs and a 3 inch exhaust on a Camaro and have virtually no drone. Do that in a Mustang and your ears will bleed after 20 minutes of highway driving at 2000+ RPMs. My GT had such drone that if I had coins in the cup holder they would rattle at normal cruising speeds. And you would not be able to hold a conversation at 70 MPH. That was with a MBRP stainless steel catback. My SS was quiet at cruising speeds but at WOT it sounded wicked.
You have to buy a quality exhaust system for no drone such as Corsa or Borla. I have longtubes with no cats, Steeda H Pipe, FRPP/Borla Touring axleback with zero drone, whisper quiet in the cabin.

But the 6th gen Camaro with longtubes & full exhaust sounds better than any Coyote mustang I have ever heard.
Old 11-22-2019, 06:42 AM   #4608
newmoon

Drives: 2019 GT350
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
That's a fair point. I was commenting more on we see what these cars can do, they get reviewed and test against each other and then we debate the results. There are times where the better performing car wins the head to head (see pretty much any GT vs SS matchup since both went to 6th gen) or times where the better performing car loses (5th Gen GT500 vs 5th Gen ZL1, ZL1 vs GT350) To me there is more to it than just all out performance, the fun factor plays a huge role to me. A couple of years ago I would probably would have said all out performance mattered most but my views have changed as I've gotten a little older and learned to enjoy things more

My 04 gt was about half second slower than my 07. The 07 was a better car, faster car, nicer interior and just all around better, but I had much more enjoyment in my 04. I don't know if it was because the 04 was way less refined, but driving that car hard to me put a bigger smile on my face than the 07 even though the 07 was faster. After about a year of owning the 07 I wish I had never gotten it and kept my 04.
If you haven't yet done so watch Everyday Driver episode on MT TV, they did a H2H comparison between a GT350R and an A10 ZL1. I won't spoil the results but they did get into the driving characteristics, and pure driving enjoyment of both cars.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/video/deta...PMW/ref=atv_dp
2012 SRT Challenger 392 auto 12:40s 112 stock
2012 Ford Mustang 5.0. Brembo, 3:73s
2010 SS, LS3, Cammed, LTs, 12:20s
2004 Redfire Cobra, Pullied & Tuned
1986 GT, Ed Curtis 347ci, 11:20s motor. 10:30s 100-hp shot

Last edited by newmoon; 11-22-2019 at 06:52 AM.
newmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 07:52 AM   #4609
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmoon View Post
If you haven't yet done so watch Everyday Driver episode on MT TV, they did a H2H comparison between a GT350R and an A10 ZL1. I won't spoil the results but they did get into the driving characteristics, and pure driving enjoyment of both cars.
The automotive press also picks the SS, SS M6 and SS 1LE over the GT, GT*, PP1 and PP2. Aplha and LT1 real word torque.

I would bet a ZL1 1LE vs GT350R head to head would yield a Camaro win. Track car vs track car thing

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 08:12 AM   #4610
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmoon View Post
They don't put the Camaro into track mode and then complain how the ride is too smooth and the car doesn't provide enough input from the road, then "having 10 gears is too much" when it was them who chose to compare an M6 Mustang to an A10 Camaro...

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 08:22 AM   #4611
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
I will give credit where it is due and say the Mustang does sound good. However it isn't THAT good that it makes the Camaro sound like trash. The Camaro sounds great, even if the Mustang might sound a bit better. One big difference is that I can put LTs and a 3 inch exhaust on a Camaro and have virtually no drone. Do that in a Mustang and your ears will bleed after 20 minutes of highway driving at 2000+ RPMs. My GT had such drone that if I had coins in the cup holder they would rattle at normal cruising speeds. And you would not be able to hold a conversation at 70 MPH. That was with a MBRP stainless steel catback. My SS was quiet at cruising speeds but at WOT it sounded wicked.
That's how my 04 GT was with a MRT H pipe and Flowmaster AT cat back lol. That thing would rattle the windows with the drone! IIRC around 2500 RPM is where it was the absolute worst. Switched it to Borla Stingers and just about eliminated all the drone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlap View Post
The automotive press also picks the SS, SS M6 and SS 1LE over the GT, GT*, PP1 and PP2. Aplha and LT1 real word torque.

I would bet a ZL1 1LE vs GT350R head to head would yield a Camaro win. Track car vs track car thing
Thats true . I don't actually even remember the last time a GT won a head to head against the SS probably sometime early 5th gen for both?
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 08:48 AM   #4612
gameovergt
G@M30v3RgT

Drives: 2016 Mustang GT 5.0 DIB
Quote:
That's how my 04 GT was with a MRT H pipe and Flowmaster AT cat back lol. That thing would rattle the windows with the drone! IIRC around 2500 RPM is where it was the absolute worst. Switched it to Borla Stingers and just about eliminated all the drone.

Thats true . I don't actually even remember the last time a GT won a head to head against the SS probably sometime early 5th gen for both?
I am a die hard Mustang guy, have been my whole life(born 1974), owned 17. TBH there haven't been many times stock vs stock that the mustang has outperformed the Fbodies at the track or strip. GM has always put performance as a priority while Ford tends to try a compromise with the mustang except in specific models. I've always had fun modding my mustangs.

I've only owned a couple of Fbodies: 2000 Trans AM & 2010 Camaro 1 SS. Loved both for looks/performance.
Old 11-22-2019, 08:53 AM   #4613
shaffe

Quote:
Originally Posted by gameovergt View Post
I am a die hard Mustang guy, have been my whole life(born 1974), owned 17. TBH there haven't been many times stock vs stock that the mustang has outperformed the Fbodies at the track or strip. GM has always put performance as a priority while Ford tends to try a compromise with the mustang except in specific models. I've always had fun modding my mustangs.

I've only owned a couple of Fbodies: 2000 Trans AM & 2010 Camaro 1 SS. Loved both for looks/performance.
I remember when I got my 04 GT, a friend had a 97 Z28. He always wanted to race me and one day we finally lined up. As soon as he did his burnout I said to my self this isn't gonna end well for me lol, he put bus lengths on me.
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
Old 11-22-2019, 08:55 AM   #4614
RobbyBeefcake87

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
They don't put the Camaro into track mode and then complain how the ride is too smooth and the car doesn't provide enough input from the road, then "having 10 gears is too much" when it was them who chose to compare an M6 Mustang to an A10 Camaro...
It's actually no surprise that newmoon would post and like a stupid nonsensical head to head like this... subjective victories are all gt350 guys can hope for... zl1 had an m6 option but they opt for the one they're going to complain about, and apparently didn't put it in track mode according to arpad... newmoon probably agrees that the zl1 ten speed is too much but just right on the GT because it's a high reving motor lol.

Btw I sound like a gt350 hater but I actually think it's a badass car. Just a have to troll the troll lol. I'd take a gt350 over a gt500 or auto zl1 all day.
2018 Camaro SS 1LE - GM cai, black bowties, suede knee bolsters, 1le plate frame, black fuel door, dark tails + 3rd brake light, euro side markers + led's, GM all weather floor mats, velossatech big mouth, GM strut brace.
2017 Corvette Grandsport (sold) - untouched.
2006 GTO (sold) - iat relocation, air box mod, monero side marker lights.

Last edited by RobbyBeefcake87; 11-22-2019 at 09:14 AM.
RobbyBeefcake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 08:57 AM   #4615
RobbyBeefcake87

Quote:

But the mustang has a much bigger trunk opening!
2018 Camaro SS 1LE - GM cai, black bowties, suede knee bolsters, 1le plate frame, black fuel door, dark tails + 3rd brake light, euro side markers + led's, GM all weather floor mats, velossatech big mouth, GM strut brace.
Old 11-22-2019, 09:02 AM   #4616
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gameovergt View Post
You have to buy a quality exhaust system for no drone such as Corsa or Borla. I have longtubes with no cats, Steeda H Pipe, FRPP/Borla Touring axleback with zero drone, whisper quiet in the cabin.

But the 6th gen Camaro with longtubes & full exhaust sounds better than any Coyote mustang I have ever heard.
While MBRP wasn't high quality I definitely don't think they were low quality. I'd say they were a budget mid-grade system. And the price was great. The problem was that Borla and Corsa exhausts were all close to twice as much and I couldn't justify spending that much money on a cat-back.
Quote:
I don't think Ford has anything that costs under $400K that can beat a ZLE. I think GM built the ZLE with the then-future GT500 in mind. They were likely building it so that it could still beat a great handling car with much more HP.
Quote:
My 03 was a convertible auto with 4.10s. Highway speeds saw 3K or more RPMs and the drone was horrible. My 15 GT was a convertible M6 with the 3.31 gear option and highway speeds were typically over 2K-2500 RPMs. The drone was even worse in that car. And I was gonna do LTs too.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 09:10 AM   #4617
rocket403

Drives: 80 Cutlass 403, 2010 FF RT
I had 2 Fox Mustangs 90 and 92 (notch back non GT 5.0L 5sp) and in all the races that I had I never once was beaten by a Camaro/Firebird and the couple races that I had with the Vette were even.
rocket403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 09:11 AM   #4618
shaffe

Quote:
While MBRP wasn't high quality I definitely don't think they were low quality. I'd say they were a budget mid-grade system. And the price was great. The problem was that Borla and Corsa exhausts were all close to twice as much and I couldn't justify spending that much money on a cat-back..
Yeah Borla is definitely expensive. My Flowmaster cat back was like 300 bucks, the Borla's were close to 600 and that was back in like 2006 when I did that. I think a Borla Cat back now is over a grand.

Quote:

I don't think Ford has anything that costs under $400K that can beat a ZLE. I think GM built the ZLE with the then-future GT500 in mind. They were likely building it so that it could still beat a great handling car with much more HP.
It will be interesting to see what the CFTP does. The ZLE is in an another world of performance. And even if the CFTP does beat it, its a 94K car. To me as I have said before it would need to be a substantial gap to justify that price.

Quote:
My 03 was a convertible auto with 4.10s. Highway speeds saw 3K or more RPMs and the drone was horrible. My 15 GT was a convertible M6 with the 3.31 gear option and highway speeds were typically over 2K-2500 RPMs. The drone was even worse in that car. And I was gonna do LTs too.
Yep, had 4.10s in my 04 as well. Had to cruise right at 55 or go 75-80 to avoid the drone zone with the flowmasters

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket403 View Post
I had 2 Fox Mustangs 90 and 92 (notch back non GT 5.0L 5sp) and in all the races that I had I never once was beaten by a Camaro/Firebird and the couple races that I had with the Vette were even.
F-body cars would eat me for lunch at the strip, but oddly enough I never lost a 04-06 GTO (everyone I raced needed the driver mod badly)
Old 11-22-2019, 09:23 AM   #4619
RobbyBeefcake87

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket403 View Post
You must have raced a lot of bad drivers.
Old 11-22-2019, 09:26 AM   #4620
RobbyBeefcake87

Quote:
Yeah Borla is definitely expensive. My Flowmaster cat back was like 300 bucks, the Borla's were close to 600 and that was back in like 2006 when I did that. I think a Borla Cat back now is over a grand.

It will be interesting to see what the CFTP does. The ZLE is in an another world of performance. And even if the CFTP does beat it, its a 94K car. To me as I have said before it would need to be a substantial gap to justify that price.

Yep, had 4.10s in my 04 as well. Had to cruise right at 55 or go 75-80 to avoid the drone zone with the flowmasters

F-body cars would eat me for lunch at the strip, but oddly enough I never lost a 04-06 GTO (everyone I raced needed the driver mod badly)
My 06 ls2 gto always treated me well and performed, 04s were slow though. It held it's own just fine with camaros and early s550s, until the 6th gens and 2018+ 5.0s those, would walk me lol.