#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 07-16-2023, 07:47 AM   #29
Spaceme1117

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS, 2011 Corvette GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephx1 View Post
Thanks, will report back. Read through the install instructions which say to drain the coolant. Not sure why as none of the steps mention opening up the cooling system. Can anyone confirm if this needs to be done or not?

https://www.bmrsuspension.com/siteart/install/MM010.pdf

Was wondering the same thing from reading the instructions. Near the end it says to re-fill the coolant but it never says anywhere in the instructions to actually drain the coolant.

Anyone who has done this install, did you actually drain the coolant or did you need to disconnect the oil cooler pipe? (Is that maybe why the coolant needs to be drained?)
Spaceme1117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2023, 09:10 AM   #30
Trochoidal

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Thanks, will report back. Read through the install instructions which say to drain the coolant. Not sure why as none of the steps mention opening up the cooling system. Can anyone confirm if this needs to be done or not?

https://www.bmrsuspension.com/siteart/install/MM010.pdf
IIRC, taking that cooler line off made it easier to get the stock mount out. Plus the coolant bath helps loosen some of the dirt off your hands, arms and face!
Attached Images

Originally Posted by arpad_m - “Aww, yet another oil thread with almost the same question in the OP“
Trochoidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2023, 11:42 PM   #31
Sephx1

Drives: 18 ZLE, 18 SS1LE, 16 SS, 23 ZL1
Got this project done tonight in about 4 hours. Yes, cooler lines need to come off. It’s an oil cooler on the side of the pan that’s a heat exchanger that’s why the coolant needs to be drained. I was able to get them both out in one piece, and didn’t need to unplug the A/C or remove the starter heat shield. Raising the motor is the key to getting them out. Installing them is pretty straightforward. A small 1/4” ratchet with a short handle was the most valuable tool on the job, lots of turning bolts in very tight spaces.

Unfortunately a dust storm kicked up just as I finished and I wasn’t able to drive it. I’m leaving town tomorrow for a couple days so the test drive is going to have to wait.
Attached Images

Sephx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2023, 07:23 AM   #32
laynlo15

Drives: 2022 Lt1 A10
Did you get a weight difference? Should have been over 12 lbs difference.
2022 Lt1 6.2 A10, Maggie 2300, THPSI Port Inj/10 rib, Rotofab, E, Nickey, SCOL, Griptech, RC Bandits, Hoosiers/MT 9.80@142.96 1.44 60ft, 6.34@112 707/669 RWHP/TRQ. 16SS Maggie 2650 9.41@147 1.35 60ft, 5.99@119. 16 C7 A8 10.90@128 Bolt on stuff
laynlo15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2023, 11:35 AM   #33
Sephx1

Quote:
Originally Posted by laynlo15 View Post
Did you get a weight difference? Should have been over 12 lbs difference.
I didn’t but it I don’t think they are drastically lighter.
Old 07-21-2023, 10:19 AM   #34
Sephx1

I got back in town last night and this morning I had a chance to take it for a test drive. Here are my impressions:

NVH was nonexistent in the steering wheel and everywhere except the shifter and floor which I could feel in the seat. Only at idle. My car is cammed with an aluminum flywheel which I’m sure contributes to this. Still, it’s not much and certainly not bothersome. There is zero NVH while driving at any speed.

The throttle response is great. As others have said shifts are more precise. The clutch does have more feel to it which is a plus.

If you can put up with the ride of the ZLE these should not be a problem for you. Especially with a stock cam and clutch.
Old 07-21-2023, 01:18 PM   #35
ZLRob

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Got this project done tonight in about 4 hours. Yes, cooler lines need to come off. It’s an oil cooler on the side of the pan that’s a heat exchanger that’s why the coolant needs to be drained. I was able to get them both out in one piece, and didn’t need to unplug the A/C or remove the starter heat shield. Raising the motor is the key to getting them out. Installing them is pretty straightforward. A small 1/4” ratchet with a short handle was the most valuable tool on the job, lots of turning bolts in very tight spaces.

Unfortunately a dust storm kicked up just as I finished and I wasn’t able to drive it. I’m leaving town tomorrow for a couple days so the test drive is going to have to wait.
Hang on, is that a zip tie on the transmission cooler line bracket which ultimately is tied up to the wiring harness?
2017 Red Hot ZL1 A10 - Apex ARC-8's, 305/ 325 PS4's, DSX 9.06 12% Pulley, NGK HR7 Ruthenium spark plugs, Katech Oil Pump, LME tensioner, DOD delete, Cam, MPI lid, Soler ported 87mm (91mm effective) TB, Granatelli SS plug wires, Cordes LTR reservoir, DMS T-stat housing, Borla X pipe, AFe NPP exhaust, Black Widow Angry Housewife/ Venom 250 mufflers, BMR engine mounts, Banks iDash, Lithium Battery, Course Motorsports phone mount, AEM X- Series, HP Tuners, JMS, E85, 13.6 psi
737 HP/ 779 TQ

ZLRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2023, 08:19 PM   #36
Sephx1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZLRob View Post
Hang on, is that a zip tie on the transmission cooler line bracket which ultimately is tied up to the wiring harness?
It’s tied to the battery starter cable which is pretty stout right there. It’s not very tight, I just put it on there to keep it from flopping around in the breeze until I can come up with a better solution.
Old 07-22-2023, 04:01 AM   #37
ZLRob

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
Quote:
It’s tied to the battery starter cable which is pretty stout right there. It’s not very tight, I just put it on there to keep it from flopping around in the breeze until I can come up with a better solution.
I left mine off entirely. I called BMR at the time to ask what their solution was and they said to leave it as is. They said those metal lines will not pose an issue now or down the road. IF you do come up with something, be sure to let me know, please!
2017 Red Hot ZL1 A10 - Apex ARC-8's, 305/ 325 PS4's, DSX 9.06 12% Pulley, NGK HR7 Ruthenium spark plugs, Katech Oil Pump, LME tensioner, DOD delete, Cam, MPI lid, Soler ported 87mm (91mm effective) TB, Granatelli SS plug wires, Cordes LTR reservoir, DMS T-stat housing, Borla X pipe, AFe NPP exhaust, Black Widow Angry Housewife/ Venom 250 mufflers, BMR engine mounts, Banks iDash, Lithium Battery, Course Motorsports phone mount, AEM X- Series, HP Tuners, JMS, E85, 13.6 psi
737 HP/ 779 TQ

ZLRob is offline   Reply With Quote