Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics

Bigwormgraphix

Old 09-25-2020, 02:19 PM   #1
Invertalon

Drives: 2021 2SS
21' Camaro - Unable to get wireless Android Auto to work?

I'm guessing it's just some type of app issue (or phone), but I can connect just fine with bluetooth for audio and even Android Auto when using the cable... But no luck trying to connect wireless.

Using a Galaxy S9.

Are there any tips/suggestions to get this to work? I reset app preferences, tried re-installing the latest android auto and all that.

Checked the manual and such, but no help there. I figure it's something easy, so what can I try? Does something specific have to be on for it to work? Or a special permission?
Invertalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 04:23 PM   #2
Michael-k

Drives: '21 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Invertalon View Post
I'm guessing it's just some type of app issue (or phone), but I can connect just fine with bluetooth for audio and even Android Auto when using the cable... But no luck trying to connect wireless.

Using a Galaxy S9.

Are there any tips/suggestions to get this to work? I reset app preferences, tried re-installing the latest android auto and all that.

Checked the manual and such, but no help there. I figure it's something easy, so what can I try? Does something specific have to be on for it to work? Or a special permission?
Wow! I was just about to begin a topic on this. I have the same problem. Turns out it's the BT radio in my phone that is the culprit.

I have an LG G7 thinQ, which (I believe) began life with Android 8. So, it's new-ish. In fact, it was upgraded to Android 9.

Just today, I went to the dealer to figure this out. One of the salesdudes has an Android phone; he messed with mine for a while, but could not get it to work. Then he tried his -- instant success. He said that it's about a month old.
sold: 2000 Mercury Cougar -- V6, citrus gold, 5-speed, sunroof
Michael-k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 05:06 PM   #3
Michael-k

I just found this --
https://www.lifewire.com/android-auto-wireless-4176354

It mentions that Android Auto wireless has to use wifi (because BT doesn't have the bandwidth).
So, maybe it's not the BT radio -- perhaps there is some issue with wifi connecting.
Old 09-25-2020, 05:58 PM   #4
Invertalon

You know what, the WiFi thing may be it. I believe it worked once, shortly, before I disabled wifi in the car since I don't need it. I'll have to try and see if I can somehow get connected with it.
Old 09-25-2020, 07:44 PM   #5
Michael-k

Webpages for Android Auto --

https://www.android.com/auto/
(No compatibility checker for wireless. )

Help center & community
https://support.google.com/androidau...#topic=6348027

The list of apps that will run Android Auto:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/e...dauto_baselist
Old 09-25-2020, 08:22 PM   #6
Michael-k

SOLVED!

Here it is --

https://support.google.com/androidau...msgid=25627563
Old 09-25-2020, 09:10 PM   #7
Invertalon

That seemed to have fixed it, thanks!! Or that I put my wifi hotspot back on, too. I did both at once, haha.

It won't run without wifi, as you noted above. I'll have to see if my phone being a wifi hotspot will work just fine (vs onstar). As I dont plan to pay them after my free trial.

Thanks again!
Old 09-25-2020, 10:11 PM   #8
Invertalon

Played around with it a while, couldnt get it to work without using onstars wifi hotspot. Even with the car connected to my wifi, it won't launch. Seems weird though, is that common to be setup like that? My first time with android auto so no clue!

Cable is no big deal though, for when I do want to use it for waze and such.
Old 09-26-2020, 09:16 AM   #9
LuvMyV6

Drives: 2017 1LT Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Invertalon View Post

Using a Galaxy S9.

It's literally just your phone. I have the Galaxy S9 myself. It won't project a screen unless connected with a USB cable. My Galaxy S5 had the wireless projection option. The S9 for some reason does not. Samsung also took away the feature that allows your phone to be used as a universal remote with various devices around the house (e.g. TV and stereo). I don't understand why a later model cell phone would almost seem like a downgrade. They removed some pretty great features.
LuvMyV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 08:15 PM   #10
Michael-k

@Invertalon and @LuvMyV6
Did you try that link that I posted (the google support page)?
It explains how to get the projection feature in AA's settings.
Old 09-27-2020, 09:47 AM   #11
LuvMyV6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael-k View Post
@Invertalon and @LuvMyV6
I did not try it. I'm going to look into it right now. If I can get the wireless projection to work, you will be a saint.
Old 09-27-2020, 02:19 PM   #12
LuvMyV6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael-k View Post
@Invertalon and @LuvMyV6
I tried it. It did not work. I also don't have a monthly subscription with onstar in order for my car to project a wireless internet connection. I will most definitely not be paying a monthly subscription just to project a cell phone screen onto my car.

And @invertalon, your phone cannot be used as a wifi Hotspot to connect in your car. If your car has data (4G LTE), then you can connect various devices to your car's wifi data. It doesn't work the other way. So, be prepared for when your free monthly subscription is up. You will have to pay for data if you want to see your phone screen on your car display.

And like I said before, Samsung did away with the feature on their phones which allows users to control various devices, like a TV or stereo. They downgraded with these later models. I was extremely disappointed when I googled this. My Galaxy S5 used to allow me to control every device I owned from just one universal remote control app. I'm so disappointed with Samsung.
Old 10-01-2020, 02:37 PM   #13
LTwin86

Drives: 2017 2LT RS
Guys, could you make a video, how wireless AA work in your 2021 car and how many seconds Headunit connects to your phone after Headunit is switched on?
Also, you need to turn on Wi Fi hot spot in your phone to make it work?

P.S. i have a server phone in my 2017 car to make it work wireless, i like this feature but plan to change to 2021 headunit and would like to know is it worth it.
LTwin86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 08:53 PM   #14
Michael-k

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTwin86 View Post
Guys, could you make a video, how wireless AA work in your 2021 car and how many seconds Headunit connects to your phone after Headunit is switched on?
Also, you need to turn on Wi Fi hot spot in your phone to make it work?

P.S. i have a server phone in my 2017 car to make it work wireless, i like this feature but plan to change to 2021 headunit and would like to know is it worth it.
The phone's wifi hotspot is not used.

Just for a test: I told my phone to forget the car's wifi hotspot, and turned off wifi; turned the car on, and Android Auto actually turned wifi on and connected to my car's hotspot.

Note that Bluetooth and location must be on for AA to connect. In fact, if you don't want to use AA for every trip (e.g. it's your daily-driver), leave BT off.