#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 12-25-2020, 08:55 PM   #29
Silveradoss573

Drives: Camaro 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBZ06 View Post

Thanks to everyone for posting information on the trailers. I did not think about adding spacers under the axles. I just sold my Sundowner because I could not open the doors even after removing the fenders and using race ramps.

I am now looking for a replacement trailer, so all the great post really help with the search. I will have to take a look at the Sundowner with the split axles to see if that would work better. They are great trailers, the build quality is really good, and they pull really well.
Is this the standard sundowner car hauler with dove tail? Where do your ramps store at?
Silveradoss573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 08:59 PM   #30
TBZ06

Drives: ZL1 1LE
Yes, it was the standard model with the dove tail. The ramps were 6 ft and the slid in from the side. One storage areas was in front of the wheels and the other was behind the wheels.
TBZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 08:12 AM   #31
TBZ06

This picture shows the storage areas for the ramps.
Attached Images

Old 12-26-2020, 09:43 AM   #32
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silveradoss573 View Post
Hey again Mike. Hey on the sundowner with split axles, a rep sent me a picture showing the distance from the deck to the top of the tire. Unloaded it's around 10.5 to 11 inches. On Greg's AP4000 trailer (pictures you posted), he told me that his door would not clear even with the fenders removed. He was able to place the car where the edge of the door fell between the 2 tires. Basically he was able to open the door just enough to get in and out. I reached out to another member Derek who has the ultra series non split axle setup for help. He had sundowner raise the deck by a inch or so so his zl1 doors would clear the tires. He still ended up adding another 1/2" after the fact as the 1" still wasn't enough. If I go with a sundowner, I will probably have them raise it by 2" which should be more than enough for my car. Big thanks goes out to both these members for taking time to talk/message me trying to help out.
THANK YOU so much for that info. Raising the deck just increases the load angle too.

I'm going to shift my focus back to Aluma Executive Series tilt with ramps.
Old 12-26-2020, 09:44 AM   #33
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBZ06 View Post
This picture shows the storage areas for the ramps.
so it looks like you could load without race ramps but can't open the door with fender off.

Big trade-off there and opening doors are a must.
Old 12-26-2020, 10:39 AM   #34
TBZ06

Yes, loading was great. Just had the issue with the doors opening.
Old 12-26-2020, 10:42 AM   #35
TBZ06

When you go look at the Aluma trailers please let me know what you think.

Hopefully, we can all find a good trailer that works well for the Camaro’s.
Old 12-26-2020, 12:18 PM   #36
Silveradoss573

Drives: Camaro 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
THANK YOU so much for that info. Raising the deck just increases the load angle too.

I'm going to shift my focus back to Aluma Executive Series tilt with ramps.
From what I have seen, these sundowner trailers sit lower than most to start with especially compared to a steel deck version. So even if you or myself have the deck raised by a couple of inches, it's still going to be lower than most out there on the market. Then if you option it out with a 3 ft. dovetail, you're going to gain back those couple of inches and more where it really counts at the back of the trailer. Now the standard car hauler comes with 6ft ramps. To help things out a bit more, you can option it out with a set of 7ft ramps. The AP4000 already comes standard with 7ft ramps and remain the same with a dove tail. The ultra comes with 8ft ramps. But if you go with a dove tail, I was told that those get reduced to 7ft ones. And i just wanna stress to others reading this that if your car is lowered, you'll obviously have to have the deck raised more.
Silveradoss573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 01:33 PM   #37
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silveradoss573 View Post
From what I have seen, these sundowner trailers sit lower than most to start with especially compared to a steel deck version. So even if you or myself have the deck raised by a couple of inches, it's still going to be lower than most out there on the market. Then if you option it out with a 3 ft. dovetail, you're going to gain back those couple of inches and more where it really counts at the back of the trailer. Now the standard car hauler comes with 6ft ramps. To help things out a bit more, you can option it out with a set of 7ft ramps. The AP4000 already comes standard with 7ft ramps and remain the same with a dove tail. The ultra comes with 8ft ramps. But if you go with a dove tail, I was told that those get reduced to 7ft ones. And i just wanna stress to others reading this that if your car is lowered, you'll obviously have to have the deck raised more.
Yeah, the one I optioned out had 7' ramps and I planned call Sundowner on Monday to inquire about 8'. I had not optioned the dovetail yet, but was considering that so 7 will be it then. I really don't think I want to mess with raising the deck and then still being close. Spread axles will help though and I've heard most of these trailers will start coming that way now.

I did have the guy go out in the yard and measure deck height. He said 17" and the 4000 was like 19.5"
Old 12-26-2020, 09:06 PM   #38
SDF62

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
Securing Our Camaros

For all you guys that are trailering the Camaro...anybody securing an "Automatic" A8 or 10? I have thousands of miles trailering manual transmission race cars but never an automatic. We always left the manuals in neutral. Thinking of strapping the car with the A8 down, then putting it in park. Thoughts?? Appreciate any input.....Thanks
SDF62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 09:34 AM   #39
Badmojo
aka BeastZL1

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE, 2004 Cobra
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDF62 View Post
For all you guys that are trailering the Camaro...anybody securing an "Automatic" A8 or 10? I have thousands of miles trailering manual transmission race cars but never an automatic. We always left the manuals in neutral. Thinking of strapping the car with the A8 down, then putting it in park. Thoughts?? Appreciate any input.....Thanks

Put it in park and apply the parking brake.

I have no issues opening the doors on my 2018 ZL1 with my Aluma 8218 Tilt trailer. I have to remove the trailer fenders, but there is plenty of room. I've also hauled a friend's 2019 ZL1 1LE with no issues.
Old 12-27-2020, 10:09 AM   #40
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badmojo View Post
I have no issues opening the doors on my 2018 ZL1 with my Aluma 8218 Tilt trailer. I have to remove the trailer fenders, but there is plenty of room. I've also hauled a friend's 2019 ZL1 1LE with no issues.
No issues at all with Aluma clearing fenders but very disappointed to hear about Sundowner. Rented an Aluma 18' tilt from a friend and towed to Camaro Fest then bought one and towed to Camaro Con.

Name:  Aluma.jpg
Views: 506
Size:  213.7 KB

The dealer I purchased through really screwed up the wiring when installing the winch and their customer service was horrible. I ended up getting it fixed under warranty but had to use a different dealer. This is one reason I wanted o go Sundowner. They have the best selection of Aluma but I would rather go next-door and purchase Sundowner just to stick it in their face since they already contacted me trying to sell me another trailer.

Name:  00.JPG
Views: 527
Size:  219.3 KB
Old 12-27-2020, 10:58 AM   #41
SDF62

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
Thanks Badmojo!
SDF62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 11:35 AM   #42
Tachitup

Drives: 2020 ZL1 1LE M6; previous 2018 ZL1
I use an Aluma 8216 for my ZLE. My trailer has 15" wheels, a tire rack and a tongue box. I built 11' ramps for easy loading. No issues, no wasted size, no wasted space.

I use an equalizer hitch and tow behind a 6.2 RST Tahoe. It tows like a dream at 125 kph (75 mph).