#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 01-08-2021, 12:25 PM   #547
foshjowler

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2.0T, 91 Miata
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94boosted View Post
For the experienced autocrossers what are your thoughts on brake pads?

With two drivers we've gotten the pedal a bit soft, thinking of going to a G-Loc R6 F&R or G-Loc R8F and R6R. The car is 90% autocross, 5% track and 5% street.

Oh and yes I'm already running a good quality DOT 4.
If you're heating up the brakes so much they get soft on a 1LE, you're using too much brake.

Youtube Channel

foshjowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 04:46 PM   #548
CRBWS6

Drives: 18 1SS 1LE SCCA FS, 99 WS-6, E46 M3
We had a Model 3 set fast raw time at our January event....by about 1.3 sec. But....the driver lives 5 min away from the site so charge wasn't an issue.
Old 02-10-2021, 06:23 PM   #549
MatthewAMEL

Drives: 2023 CT5 Blackwing
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRBWS6 View Post
We had a Model 3 set fast raw time at our January event....by about 1.3 sec. But....the driver lives 5 min away from the site so charge wasn't an issue.

We have David Marcus in our region...we have been seeing a Model 3 with TTD for years.

https://www.sportscarmag-digital.com..._2019?pg=1#pg1

He has since moved to a Supra (he hated the Tesla), but another Model 3 was TTD last weekend.

2023 Wave Metallic
CT5-V Blackwing M6
MatthewAMEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 07:01 PM   #550
rotis

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
I think our stock pads are a Brembo re-branded Fereodo DS2500? If so those are good to about 930°F, the R6 is good to 1000°F and the R8 to 1250°F. I get Ice Mode maybe 2-3 times a season so I definitely don't want to make it worse
Stock pads are Ferodo HP/1000, which is labeled "DS Performance" when sold through non-OEM channels. It is a half-step below the DS2500 in terms of temperature range.

I haven't gotten my brakes hot enough to get soft, but if I was going to swap compounds I'd probably use the same front&rear. At the Ridge my temp strips were reading higher caliper temps in the rear than in the front. There is a ton of airflow going to the front brakes and very little going to the rear. Autocross is a bit different, as you heat up the brakes in the stop box, and then park the car in grid, YMMV.
rotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 05:34 AM   #551
cmfhsu

Drives: 2019 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by foshjowler View Post
If you're heating up the brakes so much they get soft on a 1LE, you're using too much brake.
I always get a little bit of squish in my brake pedal when my pads heat up, even at autox. I've flushed and flushed and changed pads, so I figure it's just normal. Stays the same amount of squishy after heating up, so I'm not boiling fluid.
cmfhsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 07:08 AM   #552
TheRealJA105

Drives: 2013 C6Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotis View Post
Stock pads are Ferodo HP/1000, which is labeled "DS Performance" when sold through non-OEM channels. It is a half-step below the DS2500 in terms of temperature range.

I haven't gotten my brakes hot enough to get soft, but if I was going to swap compounds I'd probably use the same front&rear. At the Ridge my temp strips were reading higher caliper temps in the rear than in the front. There is a ton of airflow going to the front brakes and very little going to the rear. Autocross is a bit different, as you heat up the brakes in the stop box, and then park the car in grid, YMMV.
This is good info and you have actual data to back it up with the temp strips. I mentioned that I thought the rear brakes might get hotter or at least stay hotter longer because of no cooling airflow and I got a bunch of flack from saying it. I had no data except for feeling the wheels in the pits after coming off a track session.

I started a thread on rear brake cooling ideas and was considering buying the C8 rear cooling ducts that mount on the control arms, but I never did and have since sold my car.

Also in my opinion the pedal on the 6th gen is always soft.
Old 02-11-2021, 08:35 AM   #553
MatthewAMEL

Drives: 2023 CT5 Blackwing
Quote:

It's a good point to remember...when guys talk about 'there is no way you are heating up your brakes in AutoX'. The stop box is used in some regions. I can see if you have a high-speed section just prior and have a co-driver, you could get some heat into the brakes.

Here in Florida, we never use stop boxes. I haven't seen any at National events either, but I have seen them on a lot of YouTube videos and at events like Optima.

2023 Wave Metallic
CT5-V Blackwing M6
MatthewAMEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 09:22 AM   #554
94boosted

Drives: ‘17 1LE, ‘17 BMW 340, ‘18 F-150
Quote:

Thanks Ryan, appreciate the info. Can't seem to find much online about the Ferodo HP/1000, I wonder what the temp range is for those pads. I ended up pulling the trigger on some G-Loc R6 pads (F&R), will report back with how those do. Seeing as they're the compound recommended for autocross I'm hopeful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewAMEL View Post
It's a good point to remember...when guys talk about 'there is no way you are heating up your brakes in AutoX'. The stop box is used in some regions. I can see if you have a high-speed section just prior and have a co-driver, you could get some heat into the brakes.

Yah I chuckle when people say you can't get brakes hot at an autocross. I've literally turned the factory rotors blue and cracked them (OEM cross-drilled rotors) on my SSP Corvette with Hoosiers doing back to back runs at a test n' tune.
Old 02-11-2021, 09:27 AM   #555
foshjowler

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2.0T, 91 Miata
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewAMEL View Post

Here in Florida, we never use stop boxes. I haven't seen any at National events either, but I have seen them on a lot of YouTube videos and at events like Optima.

Here in NC we have a state championship for the 5 clubs, and 5 years back or so one of the clubs posted a course map the day before, and as a joke included a stop box on the map. It was before I moved here and wasn't autocrossing yet, but apparently people were threatening to leave and not participate in the weekend. There are still people who won't attend the club's events because of it.

Youtube Channel

foshjowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 11:56 AM   #556
rotis

Quote:
Thanks Ryan, appreciate the info. Can't seem to find much online about the Ferodo HP/1000, I wonder what the temp range is for those pads. I ended up pulling the trigger on some G-Loc R6 pads (F&R), will report back with how those do. Seeing as they're the compound recommended for autocross I'm hopeful.

Yah I chuckle when people say you can't get brakes hot at an autocross. I've literally turned the factory rotors blue and cracked them (OEM cross-drilled rotors) on my SSP Corvette with Hoosiers doing back to back runs at a test n' tune.
Here is a post with good data, including a direct comparison in friction coefficient and temp range between the OE Ferodos and DS2500- https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showp...5&postcount=86

Also, yes. I've caught brakes on fire at AutoX. Double-driving a Super-Stock c5z at a TnT with a 70mph finish. Pulled the car into grid after the 8th run or so. It sat for around 30 seconds before the dust seals in the front calipers started to smolder and burn. I hopped back in and drove the car around the paddock to get airflow over the brakes. The rebuild kit was cheap.
Old 02-11-2021, 02:14 PM   #557
94boosted

Quote:
Here is a post with good data, including a direct comparison in friction coefficient and temp range between the OE Ferodos and DS2500- https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showp...5&postcount=86

Awesome, thank you
Old 03-01-2021, 09:04 PM   #558
rotis

Finally got the car out to autox, first event on the new suspension and 12” fronts. Tight course on a small lot, was still able to hustle it around the cones well enough to win according to the calculator.

https://youtu.be/1GZv8aO3tEc

Here is my fastest raw time, which was 0.2sec faster but +1 cone. I was not happy about hitting the cone. Language warning!

https://youtu.be/hGVbov-ix64
Old 03-02-2021, 08:08 AM   #559
AustinTXracer

Drives: 20 SS 1LE
Quote:
Language warning!
That's me on most of my videos for better or worse. haha

That was a tight course, makes me appreciate the somewhat faster 30 second courses we end up with.
Old 03-02-2021, 09:14 AM   #560
94boosted

Quote:
Finally got the car out to autox, first event on the new suspension and 12” fronts. Tight course on a small lot, was still able to hustle it around the cones well enough to win according to the calculator.

https://youtu.be/1GZv8aO3tEc

Here is my fastest raw time, which was 0.2sec faster but +1 cone. I was not happy about hitting the cone. Language warning!

https://youtu.be/hGVbov-ix64

Wow, that's a tight course. Did you even get to push the happy pedal all the way down anywhere?