#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

Bigwormgraphix

Old 03-23-2023, 11:55 PM   #1
snicko

Drives: 2021 SS 1LE
DTC-60 / DTC-70 - rotor wear?

Hey folks

I just picked up a '21 SS 1LE that I'm planning to take to the track. This thing is a weekend / toy car and not daily driven but will see some street miles (occasional commute, romp around and drive to / from the track).

I'm looking for the collective hive mind's thoughts on pads...

Some constraints - I'm lazy. That's the reason I got this car. I want to have to do a minimal amount of work to prep it for a track day. I'm at the point that swapping wheels for a track day is borderline more than I want to do (I am REALLY lazy...) so clearly changing pads / rotors for a track day is right out. I just want to drive it to track, beat it to within an inch of its life and drive it home.

Dust and noise are utterly not a concern with the pads - They can squeal like a stuck pig for all I care.

I've previously run DTC-60 front / rear on a CMC car and really really REALLY liked the initial bite and easy modulation. I'm tempted to go back to to those for this thing.

So outside of dust and noise, which I do not care about at all - does anyone have any thoughts / experience on rotor wear with the 60 and 70s on the street? I don't mind chewing up the pads quicker but the idea of chewing through $800 of rotors like cookie monster ploughs through a batch of Tollhouse Chocolate Chip cookies doesn't sound too appealing . .

For the record - the plan is to run the stock pads out first starting with Buttonwillow in 3 weeks. I'm thinking ahead and wanting to toss a F & R set of pads in the trunk in case I need to do a trackside pad swap.

On an related note Dave (SCCAForums) suggested G-Loc 9 or 10s. I'm curious if anyone has experience with the 9 or 10s on the street in terms of rotor wear ?

Thanks!
snicko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 01:46 AM   #2
yiweno

Drives: Camaro zl11le
More than fine if you are just driving to and from track/weekends. They will need to be replaced due heat cracks from track well before you wear them down from street driving.

Don't bother with Gloc or carbotech. DTC70/60 are way better.
yiweno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2023, 11:12 AM   #3
snicko

Quote:
Originally Posted by yiweno View Post
More than fine if you are just driving to and from track/weekends. They will need to be replaced due heat cracks from track well before you wear them down from street driving.

Don't bother with Gloc or carbotech. DTC70/60 are way better.

Thanks! Curious what makes the 60/70 combo better than the Gloc/Carbotechs for you?
Old 03-25-2023, 11:56 AM   #4
2004YZFR1

Drives: 2020 Chevrolet Camaro Coupe 2SS 1LE
When I talked to the guys at KNS brakes this week they said not to use a different pad on the front and the rear. He suggested DTC-60 for both ends. But I haven’t used these yet to see how the rotor wear is. So I’m going to follow this thread also.
2004YZFR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2023, 04:04 PM   #5
snicko

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2004YZFR1 View Post
When I talked to the guys at KNS brakes this week they said not to use a different pad on the front and the rear. He suggested DTC-60 for both ends. But I haven’t used these yet to see how the rotor wear is. So I’m going to follow this thread also.
Good point. I'm sort of defaulting70/60 as I ran a that setup on the CMC car.There was only so much rear brake that could be dialed outwith the stock rear calipers and a brake bias valve so the workaround was 70 up front and 60 in the rear.

I would assume for the 6th gen the brake balance is probably better.
Old 03-25-2023, 04:11 PM   #6
2004YZFR1

Drives: 2020 Chevrolet Camaro Coupe 2SS 1LE
Yeah the guys at KNS said it would unbalance the car if you use a different compound on the rear vs the front etc. I'm not a brake expert, but thats all those guys do. I do think that I have read that other 1LE owners have used a DCT-70 front and the DTC-60 in the rear though?
2004YZFR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 10:03 PM   #7
snicko

Ok, to close the loop - I went with G-Lock R12 front and R8 rear after chatting with the guys at G-Loc. They will squeal and dust on the street (that I do not care about ) but rotor wear friendly. .

Will report back over the next few months!
Old 12-22-2023, 01:36 PM   #8
Osbornsm

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by snicko View Post
Ok, to close the loop - I went with G-Lock R12 front and R8 rear after chatting with the guys at G-Loc. They will squeal and dust on the street (that I do not care about ) but rotor wear friendly. .

Will report back over the next few months!
DEMANDS RESULTS

Mods: Rotofab, Nick Williams 103mm TB, MSD IM, Kooks 1 7/8
Results: 470 hp / 447 tq
Osbornsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2023, 02:00 PM   #9
Christian1LE

Drives: 2004 BMW 330CI, 2022 1SS 1LE
I ran 1 year of Carbotech on OEM rotors and I had to replace the rotors, then I ran 1 year with DTC 60's on Girodisc rotors and I also had to replace them after the same ammount of trackdays.

The only difference was that the OEM rotor wore down below minimum thickness while the Girodisc rotor just had too many large cracks on it. In my personal experience DTC pads do not wear down the rotor more, nor do they make noise on the street.
Christian1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2023, 05:36 PM   #10
snicko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osbornsm View Post
DEMANDS RESULTS

LOL!

So uh.. 3500 miles or so on the pads along with 2 track days at Buttonwillow and 4..5(?) track days at Sears Pt (Pretty hard braking into 7 and 11..).

Front pads are about 1/2 worn down. The rotors look fine. A little bit of cracking that I"d expect from that kind of heat. The surface is very smooth. For a about 50-75 or so miles after a track day there's some pad deposit that goes away.

Bit noisy when cold, pretty dusty - both of which IDGAF about. I just wash the wheels often or just deal with it.

Happy with them so far.
Old 01-18-2024, 01:59 PM   #11
Osbornsm

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian1LE View Post
In my personal experience DTC pads do not wear down the rotor more, nor do they make noise on the street.

Solid research tho.

Thanks!

Mods: Rotofab, Nick Williams 103mm TB, MSD IM, Kooks 1 7/8
Results: 470 hp / 447 tq
Osbornsm is offline   Reply With Quote