#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 03-15-2023, 12:05 AM   #1
Dabjbr

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE
Square setup causing oversteer issues?

Hi all!

I've searched and found some related discussion with AutoX but haven't found much on road courses... So here's my question.

This past weekend, I ran a square setup with 305/30/20 SC3. Front wheels were 20x11 Et9 (with spacer) and rears were 20x11 et43.

I'm running stock everything with SPL rear toe arms. Alignment below.

Onto my question... It was a rainy day. And in all transparency, I know my front tires are fresher than the rears. However, I found my car was not as predictable as before when running stock staggered sizes. Even when driving with Track mode - TC fully off, the rear end wanted to drift out. And I'm not just talking about slow corners. The last of the esses as Sonoma, which is already at a decent pace, felt like the rear was going at any minute.

I anticipated less understeer with a square setup but I hadn't expected the unsettled feeling. Again, I realize this may be due to all the other circumstances. Yet my question remains...

For you 1LE drivers running square setups on a road course, have you noticed any unpredictable behavior? What did you do to mitigate? Alignment change? Sway bars? PSI changes? Would love some insight here.

Thanks!!
Attached Images

Dabjbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 04:43 AM   #2
khcoaching

Drives: 2021 1SS 1LE
It was wet out though?

Ken
Old 03-15-2023, 08:16 AM   #3
Dabjbr

Quote:
Originally Posted by khcoaching View Post
It was wet out though?

Ken
Yes, it was wet so I’m trying to take my outing with a a grain of salt.

That said, I’ve seen posts about others changing sway bars (Hotchiins front and BMR rear) and wondered if this is the reason why.

Ultimately, I’m curious if others running square experienced anything similar in normal dry conditions.

I know you have a couple square sets. Did you experience anything similar?
Old 03-15-2023, 10:09 AM   #4
khcoaching

Drives: 2021 1SS 1LE
Using the wet as a reference for oversteer is a bit tough. The rears get very little heat compared to the fronts. The square setup, compared to stock, in the dry, my experience has been much more neutral with only a little push when I rushed trying to get the car pointed. (This was on similar alignment settings as you at the time)

I never tried sway bars on the stock MagRide, but feel it would be a very good combo.

I went with bigger bars as I wasn’t getting any response from some the changes I was making and I had grip issues which pointed to need more overall chassis support, which the bars fixed really well.

Ken
Old 03-15-2023, 03:53 PM   #5
Dabjbr

Quote:
Originally Posted by khcoaching View Post
Using the wet as a reference for oversteer is a bit tough. The rears get very little heat compared to the fronts. The square setup, compared to stock, in the dry, my experience has been much more neutral with only a little push when I rushed trying to get the car pointed. (This was on similar alignment settings as you at the time)

I never tried sway bars on the stock MagRide, but feel it would be a very good combo.

I went with bigger bars as I wasn’t getting any response from some the changes I was making and I had grip issues which pointed to need more overall chassis support, which the bars fixed really well.

Ken
Thanks Ken! That's really helpful and makes me feel hopeful whereas that event left me feeling confused/frustrated.

Appreciate the insight.