Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 03-27-2023, 11:24 AM   #1
jstanton

Drives: 2022 Camaro 2SS 1LE
Supercharge Advise

I just picked up a 2022 2SS 1LE and I am super excited to be back in a Camaro! I had a 2013 SS for a few years but had to get rid of it for something more family friendly.

I love the car but I want to make some more power with it. This is a daily driver so I am not looking to go real crazy. I really don't want to dive into the internals of the engine if I don't have to so that's why I initially thought of a ProCharger setup. My goal is to end up somewhere in the 550-600WHP range if possible. Currently it is completely stock but I am also going to add a Corsa catback exhaust system.

I was initially considering a ProCharger P-1SC-1 kit with a stage II intercooler and 7-8psi of boost but after reading some threads on here I am second guessing that now. I like the design and ease of installation not to mention how easy it is to put back to stock if need be. I would probably run the standard tune from ProCharger unless it was problematic.

My concerns are if this will be too much for a SBE and 93 octane pump gas? I've read that this could put my compression too high and cause issues. I don't know of anywhere around me to get ethanol fuel other than E85 and I believe I would have to install a flex fuel kit as well.

Also would I need to upgrade my fuel system at this level of boost?

Is there anything else I should be considering or know about?

Thanks in advance!
jstanton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 11:39 AM   #2
adamjwilson

Drives: 2022 Camaro 2SS A10
Is this your real end goal? (550-600WHP range)
Any plans to track/strip the car? (Assume that is why you bought a 1LE)
As you mod the new car, you can kiss your powertrain warranty goodbye usually.. are you OK with that?
Old 03-27-2023, 11:43 AM   #3
cjperformance

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 50th Anniversary
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstanton View Post
I just picked up a 2022 2SS 1LE and I am super excited to be back in a Camaro! I had a 2013 SS for a few years but had to get rid of it for something more family friendly.

I love the car but I want to make some more power with it. This is a daily driver so I am not looking to go real crazy. I really don't want to dive into the internals of the engine if I don't have to so that's why I initially thought of a ProCharger setup. My goal is to end up somewhere in the 550-600WHP range if possible. Currently it is completely stock but I am also going to add a Corsa catback exhaust system.

I was initially considering a ProCharger P-1SC-1 kit with a stage II intercooler and 7-8psi of boost but after reading some threads on here I am second guessing that now. I like the design and ease of installation not to mention how easy it is to put back to stock if need be. I would probably run the standard tune from ProCharger unless it was problematic.

My concerns are if this will be too much for a SBE and 93 octane pump gas? I've read that this could put my compression too high and cause issues. I don't know of anywhere around me to get ethanol fuel other than E85 and I believe I would have to install a flex fuel kit as well.

Also would I need to upgrade my fuel system at this level of boost?

Is there anything else I should be considering or know about?

Thanks in advance!
The most you would get from a Procharger tune and no other upgrades to fueling and 93 octane is probably about 500 whp. It's where I started two years ago. Long story short, min upgrades for (engine) safety would be high side fueling improvements and a very conservative tune.

I barely ran a 11.9@117 on the procharger setup, and it was a dangerous tune as I wasn't getting power enrichment at WOT. Really surprised I didn't break things.

93 octane and 11.5:1 compression is going to be your limiting factor to more than maybe 550 whp or so.

Happy to go into more details on my own journey if that didn't put you off
CircleD 3K Stall | QA1 CF Driveshaft
Forgestar F14 Drag 17x10 NT555R2 305/45/17 Rear
Forgestar F14 18x8 NT555G2 235/50/18 Front
10.84@131 w/4.13" pulley
??.??@??? w/3.7" pulley (installed & tuning)
cjperformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 12:06 PM   #4
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
If I was limited to 93 octane I wouldn't even supercharge a stock internal LT1...especially on a stock fuel system. Upgrade to the LT4 fuel system and run at least some VP octanium booster then you can start to make a little power safely.

Tech talk: Then you have to pray that you didn't get a LT1 engine with really tight ring gaps. I have a local shop that took one apart and found ring gaps as tight as .006. The leaves little to no room for heat expansion. Some will argue that Hypereutectic pistons don't expand and oil squirters will help. That is all true on a NA application. Add 7-8psi of boost on 93 octane and the gap on those piston rings will tighten during a long pull. If they tighten to the point where the ends butt, the piston with break. #7 is the common failure because it tends to run hotter.

More Tech talk: Stock vs stock the older gen 4 LS3 will go further than a LT1 on boost because majority of those engines have at least .015 of ring gap. It does have similar material hyper pistons but overall, the LS3 has a weaker rotating assembly and those engines handle 850whp all day on boost. The reason being is because it's lower compression and has wider ring gaps.

Don't want to offend, but upgrading to a ZL1 sounds like a better option for you based on the fact that you are worried about ease of returning to stock, limiting yourself to 93 octane, and wanting an easy power upgrade. Nothing gets easier than trading up to a ZL1 if the budget allows. Yes it's a bit more money but it's also going to be far more reliable on 93 octane.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 12:13 PM   #5
adamjwilson

Drives: 2022 Camaro 2SS A10
@jstanton- listen to what CJ and King have to say here... they will steer you in the right direction and save you a bunch of $$$ in the long run.... we have all been down this endless rabbit hole
Old 03-27-2023, 01:26 PM   #6
jstanton

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamjwilson View Post
Is this your real end goal? (550-600WHP range)
Any plans to track/strip the car? (Assume that is why you bought a 1LE)
As you mod the new car, you can kiss your powertrain warranty goodbye usually.. are you OK with that?
Yes this is my optimistic goal. If I could get close to 550hp for my daily driver I would be happy. I have no intention of turning it into a track/strip car. Just trying to put a little more power to the ground and have a fun street car that's not the same as every other SS in my area!
Old 03-27-2023, 01:38 PM   #7
jstanton

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjperformance View Post
The most you would get from a Procharger tune and no other upgrades to fueling and 93 octane is probably about 500 whp. It's where I started two years ago. Long story short, min upgrades for (engine) safety would be high side fueling improvements and a very conservative tune.

I barely ran a 11.9@117 on the procharger setup, and it was a dangerous tune as I wasn't getting power enrichment at WOT. Really surprised I didn't break things.

93 octane and 11.5:1 compression is going to be your limiting factor to more than maybe 550 whp or so.

Happy to go into more details on my own journey if that didn't put you off
Thank you for the insight and I want to hear more about your experience!

Before I jumped back on the forum and saw these response, I called ProCharger to ask some questions about this setup on a stock LT1 bottom end and fuel system. I was told that the P-1SC-1 with the HO or stage II intercooler was safe on my car without any modification to the fuel system and I shouldn't have any issues running their standard conservative tune. I'm just repeating what they told me. I understand there are variables they are probably not accounting for, like ring gaps as King stated, but I wanted to share what they told me.
Old 03-27-2023, 01:46 PM   #8
jstanton

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLT1 View Post
If I was limited to 93 octane I wouldn't even supercharge a stock internal LT1...especially on a stock fuel system. Upgrade to the LT4 fuel system and run at least some VP octanium booster then you can start to make a little power safely.

Tech talk: Then you have to pray that you didn't get a LT1 engine with really tight ring gaps. I have a local shop that took one apart and found ring gaps as tight as .006. The leaves little to no room for heat expansion. Some will argue that Hypereutectic pistons don't expand and oil squirters will help. That is all true on a NA application. Add 7-8psi of boost on 93 octane and the gap on those piston rings will tighten during a long pull. If they tighten to the point where the ends butt, the piston with break. #7 is the common failure because it tends to run hotter.

More Tech talk: Stock vs stock the older gen 4 LS3 will go further than a LT1 on boost because majority of those engines have at least .015 of ring gap. It does have similar material hyper pistons but overall, the LS3 has a weaker rotating assembly and those engines handle 850whp all day on boost. The reason being is because it's lower compression and has wider ring gaps.

Don't want to offend, but upgrading to a ZL1 sounds like a better option for you based on the fact that you are worried about ease of returning to stock, limiting yourself to 93 octane, and wanting an easy power upgrade. Nothing gets easier than trading up to a ZL1 if the budget allows. Yes it's a bit more money but it's also going to be far more reliable on 93 octane.
Thank you for the advise King and you definitely didn't offend, that's why I posted the question because I wasn't sure if I was headed down the right path.

Unfortunately a ZL1 is not in the budget right now. I found this car for a great price and couldn't pass it up.

If I could run an ethanol fuel like E40 or E50 would that change your opinion on the subject?
Old 03-27-2023, 01:52 PM   #9
rcoe

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Might be too late but I agree with the other's a Zl1 would be your best bet.

If it is the SS then I would go full boltons for now add in a good flex fuel tune and be happy for a while. And if you keep feeling the urge for more power start by upgrading your fueling first then going with your power adder of choice.
This way when you do add the power adder you have a platform that is more able to handle the HP.
American Racing headers - Borla S-type
rcoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 02:03 PM   #10
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
Quote:
Thank you for the advise King and you definitely didn't offend, that's why I posted the question because I wasn't sure if I was headed down the right path.

Unfortunately a ZL1 is not in the budget right now. I found this car for a great price and couldn't pass it up.

If I could run an ethanol fuel like E40 or E50 would that change your opinion on the subject?
LT4 fuel system with E40-50 would be very beneficial and you can make a good 550-600whp reliably.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 02:04 PM   #11
cjperformance

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamjwilson View Post
@jstanton- listen to what CJ and King have to say here... they will steer you in the right direction and save you a bunch of $$$ in the long run.... we have all been down this endless rabbit hole
I am humbled to be named in the same sentence as KingLT1, but am ultimately undeserving
10.84@131 w/4.13" pulley
Old 03-27-2023, 02:09 PM   #12
cjperformance

Quote:
Thank you for the insight and I want to hear more about your experience!

Before I jumped back on the forum and saw these response, I called ProCharger to ask some questions about this setup on a stock LT1 bottom end and fuel system. I was told that the P-1SC-1 with the HO or stage II intercooler was safe on my car without any modification to the fuel system and I shouldn't have any issues running their standard conservative tune. I'm just repeating what they told me. I understand there are variables they are probably not accounting for, like ring gaps as King stated, but I wanted to share what they told me.
Of course they would say that. Looking back, my LT1 high side was a cold day away from total failure at WOT.

My journey from 12's to 10's on the procharger:

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=597270

Also my latest fueling adventure:

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=613723
10.84@131 w/4.13" pulley
Old 03-27-2023, 02:39 PM   #13
jstanton

Quote:
LT4 fuel system with E40-50 would be very beneficial and you can make a good 550-600whp reliably.
What all is involved in an LT4 fuel system upgrade?
Old 03-27-2023, 02:40 PM   #14
jstanton

Quote:
I would imagine I would need a flex fuel kit also or no?

Tags
1le, boost, procharger, super charger, supercharger