6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
Can you offer your opinion of this car with the heads cam vs a zl1
Old 03-07-2023, 06:23 PM   #72
SCCAForums

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro, Ford Mustang
Quote:
Originally Posted by eimarshall View Post
Wicked!! Congrats on the win!! That is an aggressively low splitter!! And the orange/black/carbon continuing into the interior is a great touch!
Thank you eimarshall! Yeah, last years splitter was a bit high... so we worked to lower it on this year's build. The interior really came out nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sr71bb View Post
CONGRATS DAVE!!! This is Epic!!! I had no doubt you could do this but we both know that ultimately it is up to YOU as the driver to EXECUTE the plan. It HAD to be extremely gratifying!!! If you HAD to choose between what gave you the BEST Feeling was it the CAR itself or the Driver???

I KNOW for me personally it is ALWAYS about the journey and not the final result. The DESTINATION will take care of itself if ULTIMATELY the path is correct.
Thank you Greg (SR71BB) couldn't have been more pleased with how it all came together!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackmonba6Gen View Post
WOW! JUST WOW! I wasnt expecting this but I definitely like it! Awesome Job! It feels good to see hard work paying off
Thank you Blackmonba! Yeah, as I sit here... it's a bit 'odd' not needing to be in the garage thrashing on stuff this week!

Quote:
Originally Posted by khcoaching View Post
Great job and great laptime on East!
Thank you Khcoaching! Lap of our run in this reply below. I had a similar lap time in the afternoon, but unfortunately the garmin fell off the mount! LOL... so lost video feed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FH212 View Post
That is super impressive! Congrats on the win and the times!
Thank you FH212!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6spdhyperblue View Post
Can you offer your opinion of this car with the heads cam vs a zl1
Great question!!! If you're just going for ultimate driveability... I don't know of any combination that can beat a ZL1! Loved the ZL1's brute power and torque on everyday driveability. However, for what I was looking for... the 200lbs off the nose is so noticeable on Autox and Road Course, this absolutely has checked all the boxes for me! The N/A High RPM delivered by the Katech Head & Cam competition package, I couldn't be happier with how this car just PULLS on the street and on the track! Hope this helps, and happy to chat more via private message for any specific questions I can assist with.

Here's the vid of our Morning lap, setting fast time.

https://youtu.be/d1l0A6ICg8s

Best regards,
Dave
Old 03-07-2023, 06:25 PM   #73
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
congrats super dave !
Old 03-07-2023, 08:27 PM   #74
SCCAForums

Quote:
Originally Posted by kropscamaro16 View Post
congrats super dave !
Thanks Michael!!
Old 03-08-2023, 07:43 AM   #75
sr71bb

Drives: 2019 Camaro Z-28
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCAForums View Post

Great question!!! If you're just going for ultimate driveability... I don't know of any combination that can beat a ZL1! Loved the ZL1's brute power and torque on everyday driveability. However, for what I was looking for... the 200lbs off the nose is so noticeable on Autox and Road Course, this absolutely has checked all the boxes for me! The N/A High RPM delivered by the Katech Head & Cam competition package, I couldn't be happier with how this car just PULLS on the street and on the track! Hope this helps, and happy to chat more via private message for any specific questions I can assist with.

Dave
To add to what DAVE mentioned, I had a ZL1 1LE for 3 months PRIOR to replacing that car with a highly modified SS 1LE variant that I have NOW.

The differences between Dave's set up and mine is I have more power because I am running a LME 416 NA engine (roughly 580 RWHP). I certainly DONT have the AERO he has though so no doubt his car is more capable on the track. So for ME , I MUCH prefer the SS !LE in the modified state that it is now over my ZL1 1LE for several reasons.

1. The WEIGHT difference is SIGNIFICANT as Dave mentions. All other things being equal this results in the car having a more neutral handling posture which DEFINITELY can result in better lap times capability. The SMOOTHER and easier the car can transition its body weight mass while transitioning thru corners, the FASTER the car will be.

2. POWER curve on an NA engine is MUCH smoother and LESS unsettling when compared to my ZL1 1LE. OBVIOUSLY a supercharged engine will have more torque and will make it earlier when compared to an NA engine. This is NOT as desirable though on a road course as it is for purposes of straight line acceleration as in roll racing or drag racing.

3. My SS 1LE NEVER goes into REDUCED POWER mode even in a 30 minute track session when compared to my ZL1 1LE. Compressed Boosted air makes for higher IAT's (Intake Air Temperature). This of course results in the ECU pulling timing from the engine with corresponding loss of power and torque.

4. My ZL1 1LE suspension was MUCH too harsh in general even on a road course with the 1400 pound rear spring rating. So at high speed and on anything that wasnt super smooth the car would become unsettled even to extent of becoming airborne on one particular connector. Of course it has been said my numerous people, for a daily driver my ZL1 1LE suspension was completely UNACCEPTABLE.

The biggest drawback I see on my current SS 1LE to my ZL1 1LE is fuel economy, A BIG POWER NA engine will do 10-12 MPG . I typically got 14-16 MPG on my ZL1 1LE.

Also I think there is a misconception that a BIG POWER NA car is less expensive to build than a supercharged car. I can tell you though that it is NOT. Dave will tell you the same thing I am sure!!!
https://youtu.be/c9M5UHDftcA
4-15-23 at SCCA TT U1 Class

MEGA Thread on THIS car:
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=602092

Retired Cars BELOW:
1973 Camaro, 1969 Camaro, 1969 Camaro SS RS
2010 Camaro SS with 1000HP F1R, 2019 ZL1 1LE A10

Last edited by sr71bb; 03-08-2023 at 08:25 AM.
sr71bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2023, 10:16 AM   #76
RamAir02
Shadow Gray '19 ZLE M6

Drives: '19 ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Here's the vid of our Morning lap, setting fast time.

https://youtu.be/d1l0A6ICg8s

Best regards,
Dave
Looks like a really fun track to drive! That kink and the blind crest at turn 5 looks super tricky.
PPF | Paint Correction | ZL1 Addons Rock Guards | ZL1 Addons Lift Pads | ZL1 Addons Feather Lite Tow Hook | JWM Smoked Sidemarkers | Wildhammer Smoked Rear Reflectors | JWM License Plate LEDs | RotoFab CAI | ADM IC Reservoir v2 | BC Forged RZ05 | SPL Toe Arms | BW Brake Deflectors | CMS Roll Bar | Schroth Profi II ASM Harnesses
Sold: '99 Trans Am (bolt-ons & cam) | '00 WS6 (bolt-ons, heads, cam, 12 bolt) | '05 CTS-V (bolt-ons, short throw) | '10 SS/RS M6 (short throw, CAI, coilovers, LTs, catback, JRE tune) | '01 WS6

YouTube
RamAir02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2023, 06:34 PM   #77
Judy1le

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr71bb View Post
Also I think there is a misconception that a BIG POWER NA car is less expensive to build than a supercharged car. I can tell you though that it is NOT. Dave will tell you the same thing I am sure!!!
Can confirm this last statement in particular haha but I have a feeling it will most definitely be worth it.
Judy1le is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2023, 07:18 PM   #78
sr71bb

Drives: 2019 Camaro Z-28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judy1le View Post
Can confirm this last statement in particular haha but I have a feeling it will most definitely be worth it.
YES it definitely should be worth it!!!!
https://youtu.be/c9M5UHDftcA
4-15-23 at SCCA TT U1 Class

MEGA Thread on THIS car:
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=602092

Retired Cars BELOW:
1973 Camaro, 1969 Camaro, 1969 Camaro SS RS
2010 Camaro SS with 1000HP F1R, 2019 ZL1 1LE A10
sr71bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2023, 03:20 PM   #79
GTO_Gregory

Drives: 2016 Camaro
It's nice to see the Katech name in the Optima Ultimate Street Car competition. Often I see competitors mentioning Lingenfelter engines.

I also like naturally aspirated engines. I find they may cost more and more attention to component detail is needed, but the power is predictable, they rev higher, and reliability is good.

I have a LT1-400 being built.
2006 Quicksilver 6-speed GTO ERL LS3-430, All-Pro 285cc heads, 262/273 .758/.742 116+3 cam, Sheet-metal Intake, 70lb Siemens injectors, SLP, GMM Ripshifter, QA1 Coil-overs front and rear, nylon suspension bushings, Hotchkis, RPM Trans, SPEC twin clutch, SpinTech, Kooks 1 7/8 -2.0", BMR drive train, Kaaz 3.91, Lingenfelter CAI, Baer brakes, mini-tubs, E85.
GTO_Gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 11:48 PM   #80
SCCAForums

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO_Gregory View Post
It's nice to see the Katech name in the Optima Ultimate Street Car competition. Often I see competitors mentioning Lingenfelter engines.

I also like naturally aspirated engines. I find they may cost more and more attention to component detail is needed, but the power is predictable, they rev higher, and reliability is good.

I have a LT1-400 being built.
Looking forward to seeing your LT1-400 Build! Agreed, really enjoying the high revving N/A Katech motor!

Carbon Doors are on the car, special shout out to Moe, from https://autoaddictusa.com/

Moe and the team at AutoAddictUSA have installed numerous Carbon Fiber items, and I couldn't be happier with their install and care they took of the car.

Here's a Youtube video of the install process:
https://youtu.be/yqpyiQ8Ldaw

And following the Carbon Doors install... once she got home, I went right to work, installing the Corvette ZR1 Carbon Ceramic Rotors up front, here are some before and after pics, prior setup was ZL1 w/ Girodisc Rotors. Special thanks to G-Loc Brakes for the Stopping power!

9 Lives Dual Element wing going on hopefully this weekend, and our next event will be the SCCA Pro Solo in Vegas on the 24th.

Best regards,
Dave
Attached Images

Old 04-06-2023, 11:20 PM   #81
SCCAForums

As the build continues, and the season now fully underway, the Katech Camaro continues to 'Get it Done' on track!

The past couple weekends, we were able to attend the SCCA Las Vegas Pro Solo and the SCCA National Tour. Winning both events in our respective CAM Classes. And being fortunate enough to win the Pro Solo Overall Super Challenge (something I hadn't last done since 1997!).

What was really special was the following weekend, at the National Tour, my son Cameron would co-drive with me for the first time... and we would take 1st & 3rd in CAM-C, spltting our good friend James Darden who took home the 2nd place trophy!

The car is working great, I am getting 'some' ice mode, even with the Carbon Ceramic Brakes, so I'm going to work with G-Loc on testing some different compounds. But frankly, I think the ice mode, is due to the car being so stiff and light... I'm not getting the 'weight transfer' from Full Throttle to Full Brake... and the car is going into Ice Mode. It only did it to Cameron & I each once, in the finish... no where else on track. So we'll keep an eye on it.

And just as we've gotten the car so dialed in... of course... it was time to upgrade the Pro Parts USA Custom Suspension, to their newest stuff... MCS Double Adjustable's with Remote Reservoir's. So effectively starting from scratch again. We'll be testing next weekend at a local event in Phoenix, before heading over to California for the SCCA National Tour, Pro Solo and California AutoX Championship event held at Crow's Landing.

Will continue to update the thread with build pics & evolution as the season unfolds. Here's the latest batch, featuring the new wing for CAM as well! Much larger than Optima Ultimate Streetcar allows for.

Also here's the link to my fast run on the final day for the National Tour event:

Best regards,
Dave
Attached Images

Old 04-07-2023, 10:09 AM   #82
Vivid_1LE

Drives: 2022 Camaro SS 1LE M6
Quote:
Looking forward to seeing your LT1-400 Build! Agreed, really enjoying the high revving N/A Katech motor!

Carbon Doors are on the car, special shout out to Moe, from https://autoaddictusa.com/

Moe and the team at AutoAddictUSA have installed numerous Carbon Fiber items, and I couldn't be happier with their install and care they took of the car.

Here's a Youtube video of the install process:
https://youtu.be/yqpyiQ8Ldaw

And following the Carbon Doors install... once she got home, I went right to work, installing the Corvette ZR1 Carbon Ceramic Rotors up front, here are some before and after pics, prior setup was ZL1 w/ Girodisc Rotors. Special thanks to G-Loc Brakes for the Stopping power!

9 Lives Dual Element wing going on hopefully this weekend, and our next event will be the SCCA Pro Solo in Vegas on the 24th.

Best regards,
Dave
Are those C6 or C7 ZR1 brakes? And are they direct bolt on?
Vivid_1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2023, 11:19 AM   #83
SCCAForums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivid_1LE View Post
Are those C6 or C7 ZR1 brakes? And are they direct bolt on?
C6 ZR1 Ceramics, bolted onto ZL1 Hats…then was a direct bolt on. 👍

Best regards,
Dave
Old 04-07-2023, 02:42 PM   #84
Vivid_1LE

Drives: 2022 Camaro SS 1LE M6
Quote:
C6 ZR1 Ceramics, bolted onto ZL1 Hats…then was a direct bolt on. 👍

Best regards,
Dave
Thanks! That seems like its probably the best route to go for carbon ceramics then. Nice car haha
Vivid_1LE is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anderson composites, forgeline wheels, katech, msd atomic airforce manifold