Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 11-19-2022, 03:47 PM   #29
FRANK121

Drives: 2022 Camaro ZL1
Just bought a battery tender and connected to the terminal under the hood.
After a bout 1 hour still red? Reading that sometimes it needs to be connected on the battery.
I tore the trunk apart and hooked it directly to the battery using the bolt on connections. Put it all back together and plugged it in.
Still nothing but red light on the tender?
I have checked all fuses and car was ran 4 days ago. It is about 20 degrees outside but this is a 2022 with 2500 miles?
The only thing I can do is let it charge overnight and see if it goes green?
The same charger charges motorcycle and mowers fine?
Never been Dynoed
FRANK121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 03:53 PM   #30
JimGnitecki

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRANK121 View Post
After a bout 1 hour still red? Reading that sometimes it needs to be connected on the battery.
I tore the trunk apart and hooked it directly to the battery using the bolt on connections. Put it all back together and plugged it in.
I have checked all fuses and car was ran 4 days ago. It is about 20 degrees outside but this is a 2022 with 2500 miles?
As I was (correctly) advised earlier in this thread, check the fuse in the battery charger. My fuse had been killed by a prior unsuccessful attempt to re-awaken a dead motorcycle battery that someone gave me.

Also, iF your battery charger is one that has different settings for conventional batteries and Lithium batteries, you need to make sure you have it on the correct setting.

Finally, if the battery was TOO discharged to rescue, the Battery Tender signals that via one of its lights (different lights on different Battery Tender models). And, a battery that dead can also blow the Battery Tender fuse because it has a short inside the battery. That is what happened with the discharged battery someone gave me to try to rescue.

Jim G
JimGnitecki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 04:44 PM   #31
Jus Cruisin
Old Gearhead

Drives: 2023 GMC Sierra Denali Ultimate
Quote:
Battery Tender is not a fast charger. I haven't tried under the hood. I hooked up direct to the battery. You are dealing with 15 feet of wiring that might affect charging with additional resistance. Give it til tomorrow. It should be green by then. Hook it up and forget it til you get ready to drive it. Mine will stay hooked up til spring.
Old 11-19-2022, 10:45 PM   #32
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Depends on your state of charge before you hooked it up. If your battery wouldn’t start the car before you hooked it up the tender might not ever put enough charge in the battery to start the car. It’s not a charger, it is a tender, that is good at topping off the battery or keeping it from depleting while sitting.

If I know I’m not going to be driving my Camaro for several days or if it’s going to be particularly cold, I connect the tender under the hood. When I get back to the car it’s good to go. The few times where I have not connected the tender and let it sit long enough to discharge the battery I have had to jump the battery with another car or my 650 amp charger. As I type this my tender is connected under the hood.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 08:45 AM   #33
FRANK121

Drives: 2022 Camaro ZL1
Battery tender finally went green light after charging all night

I will leave in on until time to drive when the weather warms up.
Never been Dynoed
FRANK121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 04:04 PM   #34
Pickles

Drives: Audi RS3
I haven't seen any mention of "C-Tek" battery chargers/maintainers in this thread.
A popular model is the MX5,...it will charge & maintain batteries, is well made & very reliable.
It will regenerate & charge batteries & then keep them fully charged,...leave it on as long as you like, it will not over charge your battery.
Google is your friend!
Pickles.
Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 04:11 PM   #35
JimGnitecki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickles View Post
I haven't seen any mention of "C-Tek" battery chargers/maintainers in this thread.
A popular model is the MX5,...it will charge & maintain batteries, is well made & very reliable.
It will regenerate & charge batteries & then keep them fully charged,...leave it on as long as you like, it will not over charge your battery.
Google is your friend!
Pickles.
Does C-Tek have a model or models that also charge Lithium batteries? You need different internal electronics to charge Lithium batteries without damaging them.

SOME of the "Battery tender" brand models can also do Lithium batteries, but some cannot.

Right now, Lithium batteires for cars are still expensive, but with the recent dramtic price increases in regular batteries, the Lithium batteries prices are "only" about double what the regular batteries cost. Lithium batteries have VERY high cold cranking amps, weigh a fraction of what regular batteries weigh, and self-discharge much more slowly.

Jim G
Old 11-20-2022, 06:21 PM   #36
Pickles

Drives: Audi RS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGnitecki View Post
Does C-Tek have a model or models that also charge Lithium batteries? You need different internal electronics to charge Lithium batteries without damaging them.

SOME of the "Battery tender" brand models can also do Lithium batteries, but some cannot.

Right now, Lithium batteires for cars are still expensive, but with the recent dramtic price increases in regular batteries, the Lithium batteries prices are "only" about double what the regular batteries cost. Lithium batteries have VERY high cold cranking amps, weigh a fraction of what regular batteries weigh, and self-discharge much more slowly.

Jim G
If you google C-Tek, you'll see they have a very large range of very high quality chargers for all sorts of batteries/capacities/vehicles etc etc,..I'm no expert but I'm sure they have a lithium charger,.....just check their website & report back.
I'm hopeless mechanically, but I've had my C-Tek for many years & it does the job easily & reliably, over a number of years on different cars.
Pickles.
Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 08:40 PM   #37
Trochoidal

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
I could be completely wrong but I thought C-Tek was the private label for the tender being sold as a Camaro/GM option.

Originally Posted by arpad_m - “Aww, yet another oil thread with almost the same question in the OP“
Trochoidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 09:01 PM   #38
Joshinator99

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
The Griot’s Garage Battery Manager V is really great in my humble opinion and does more for your battery than a regular trickle charger. Works with lithium ion batteries too. It came with a number of different harnesses including a quick-connect version that I bolted to the main power distribution block under the hood. When I get home I just plug in into the harness and good to go.
Attached Images

Old 11-20-2022, 09:26 PM   #39
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochoidal View Post
I could be completely wrong but I thought C-Tek was the private label for the tender being sold as a Camaro/GM option.
You are not wrong. Mine is C-Tek. My friend ordered the Camaro version with his car. Our tenders are identical except his has the Camaro logo.

C-Tek offers a broad range of tenders and chargers beyond the one that is also available with Camaro logo.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 10:27 PM   #40
JimGnitecki

I took a quickk look at the C-Tek website. It appears that they have ONE model that does Lithium batteries, but it does not say if that model will also properly charge regular batteries. Its price in Canada is $193. None of their other models mention Lithium charging.

Jim G
Old 11-21-2022, 07:22 AM   #41
Jus Cruisin
Old Gearhead

Drives: 2023 GMC Sierra Denali Ultimate
I just found out that Battery Tender makes a connector for the OBD port.

https://www.batterytender.com/Batter...ccessory-Cable
Old 11-21-2022, 10:11 AM   #42
JimGnitecki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jus Cruisin View Post
I just found out that Battery Tender makes a connector for the OBD port.

https://www.batterytender.com/Batter...ccessory-Cable
CAREFUL! For 2 reasons:

1. The instructions say:

"The OBDII connector is a standard connection point to the battery on all new vehicles that will allow you to set the 5 watt panel on your dash and charge / maintain your vehicle battery from inside the vehicle."

That SOUNDS like you might need to first do something called a "5 watt panel" setting on your dash. Maybe some vehicles have such a thing, but does a Camaro?

2. The OBD2 port is designed to transmit low-amperage electronic signals, not transmit the kind of power to recharge a weak battery. So, such an approach might work to MAINTAIN a battery, but not to charge a battery that needs more than a very small current to recharge.

I'd find out more before going this way.

Jim G