Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Transmissions

Phastek Performance

Old 12-01-2022, 09:11 AM   #1
Loaorndnam

Drives: Camaro 2SS 2017
Location of the “shift to park” sensor 6gen A8 transmission

Does anyone know the location of the sensor that triggers the "shift to park" message when turning off the vehicle? Mine has started malfunctioning, I was planning to see whether cleaning, and spraying it with WD40 would help. If not, the solution seems to be changing the entire shifter assembly. I have included a couple pictures of the shifter assembly as well. In addition, the specific vehicle is a 2017 2SS with the A8 transmission.

Loaorndnam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 03:04 PM   #2
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
The sensor appears to be triggered by a cam on one side of the shifter pivot. You can kind of see it in the 6th picture of this listing.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/28476012400...yABEgKpm_D_BwE

Your looking at $110-160 for a whole (used) shifter assembly on ebay. I would probably buy one before trying to fix the old unit. Not sure from the photos how easy it is to get apart. Once you have a working unit, you can mess with the old one. A lot of these microswitch sensor gizmos may be glued together.
ctrlz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 12:08 PM   #3
Loaorndnam

Drives: Camaro 2SS 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrlz View Post
The sensor appears to be triggered by a cam on one side of the shifter pivot. You can kind of see it in the 6th picture of this listing.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/28476012400...yABEgKpm_D_BwE

Your looking at $110-160 for a whole (used) shifter assembly on ebay. I would probably buy one before trying to fix the old unit. Not sure from the photos how easy it is to get apart. Once you have a working unit, you can mess with the old one. A lot of these microswitch sensor gizmos may be glued together.

Thanks! I was able to get the sensor to work for a couple of days by cleaning it, but now it is back to being faulty. I have just ordered a new shifter assembly. Does anyone have experience with changing the shifter assembly, seen it in a service manual or video of it being done?
Loaorndnam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 12:23 PM   #4
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
IIRC the trans has to be dropped. Used to be a few DIY threads and videos of folks doing Hurst shifters. This should cover the key steps: https://youtu.be/xZdZJRLRHWk?t=50
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote