#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro Convertible

Phastek Performance

Old 09-01-2022, 09:14 AM   #183
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weege View Post
I left the following post on a thread about broken sliding panels and didn't get any comments. I'll try here:
ANYBODY KNOW ANY LAWYERS? I've never come close to suing anyone but between the posts about broken sliding panels and the ones about repeated rear window glass coming unglued, I'm thinking we convertible owners should think about it. These seem to clearly be design flaws that are affecting a significant number of owners. It seems that GM ought to own up to the issues with more that technical service bulletins that only alert to costly repairs. I don't know much about class action suits. In this case, a victory would be an extended warranty coverage, say to 10 years for the problems. Since there would be no monetary reward, a potential case would probably not be very attractive to lawyers. Maybe some consumer advocacy organization would be a better route. It just seems like GM should be flipping these bills. Does anyone have any interest or advice about organizing a complaint that might yield results?

My advice…don’t bother yourself thinking about it. There aren’t enough convertibles out there to justify any type of settlement. Just the way it is…not fair, I know.

With that said, the 6th Gen has a great look with the “clamshell”, (this is what sucked me in). However, I’m not at all impressed with the creaks, rattles, door glass clipping top, wind noise,rear glass delamination, sliding panel failures, top up ingress etc.

If I ever buy another 6th Gen Vert (which I very well may), I’ll accept all of the above, going into it, storing and driving it with the top down only (unless caught in the rain).

As much as I loved my convertibles, I’m happy I now own a coupe.(peace of mind)
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 02:05 PM   #184
classicrockr
Pills are for Pansies

Drives: 2023 2SS Red Hot Vert Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunkk View Post
Step #1: Call Convertible Tops and More in Bradenton and make an appointment.

Step #2: Drop your car off.

Step #3: Pay on pickup and enjoy.

Yes they did a perfect job on my wife's Solara, and they do all the top work for Cox Chevrolet (Corvettes and Camaros). I wouldn't try to DIY my own top, way too much skill required (i.e. advanced upholstery) that's way beyond my ability.

What do they charge?
classicrockr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 04:15 PM   #185
nancygrl
雪の玉

Drives: '22 Z71 RST Silverado
So how quickly does this delamination happen? I'm thinking about getting a '23 convertible and after reading this thread has me questioning going for a convertible over a coupe.
nancygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 06:26 PM   #186
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancygrl View Post
So how quickly does this delamination happen? I'm thinking about getting a '23 convertible and after reading this thread has me questioning going for a convertible over a coupe.
From what some people have said : they’ve seen cars new on the lot “showing signs of delamination”…I’m just repeating what I’ve read. if you go through the thread(s) on the issue, you’ll definitely see that it can happen at any time, with no discernible cause (other then what seems to be a crappy design)

If little things annoy you, then a Camaro vert is probably not for you. It’s really fun to drive when the top is down, but that’s it. The site lines with the top up are worse than the coupe (the coupe feels like a green house in comparison) The top noises, known design failure points, ridiculously small trunk and sun visor, paying a serious premium over the coupe just doesn’t make a lot of sense, unless you can truly forgive the weaknesses / accept it for what it is. On the same note, the resale of the convertible isn’t on par with the new premium paid. So a lot of things to consider…
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 06:49 PM   #187
nancygrl
雪の玉

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chutzpah View Post
From what some people have said : they’ve seen cars new on the lot “showing signs of delamination”…I’m just repeating what I’ve read. if you go through the thread(s) on the issue, you’ll definitely see that it can happen at any time, with no discernible cause (other then what seems to be a crappy design)

If little things annoy you, then a Camaro vert is probably not for you. It’s really fun to drive when the top is down, but that’s it. The site lines with the top up are worse than the coupe (the coupe feels like a fishbowl in comparison) The top noises, known design failure points, ridiculously small trunk and sun visor, paying a serious premium over the coupe just doesn’t make a lot of sense, unless you can truly forgive the weaknesses / accept it for what it is. On the same note, the resale of the convertible isn’t on par with the new premium paid. So a lot of things to consider…

Thanks....I did go thru the thread, but not in entirety, lots to go thru. It would be my 1st convertible, so I took a test drive this afternoon and with the top up, it felt like being back in a 5th gen coupe with the poor visibility of that generation but had some familiarity about it. Didn't hear any top noises, but then it's brandy new and not been driven on bumpy, lumpy roads. I will have to go tomorrow and look at it more closely and then figure out which way to go. Little things do annoy me, but then every Camaro has had some level of annoyance. I guess it's a matter of willingness to accept and deal/live with.

Last edited by nancygrl; 09-04-2022 at 07:32 AM.
Old 09-04-2022, 12:00 AM   #188
lcd550

Drives: '17 2LT/RS 2.0T M6 50th Anniv Vert
The occurrence of the delamination is random. I purchased my '17 convertible Feb '19 (new as it was a leftover, but that's another story).

I noticed the delamination Jun '19 had the top replaced. Fast forward 4 1/2 months, Nov '19, and had delamination on the new/replacement top (see posts on page 7 of this thread). Top was replaced a second time; knock on wood, 2 years & 9 months later it's holding up.
lcd550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2022, 12:35 AM   #189
GroundhogSS

Drives: '17 2SS convertible'20 Yukon Denali
My 2017 is six years old now, with 74K miles, and no delamination. It does live in the garage when not being driven.

Delivered: 08/15/2016

#TeamBeckyD

GroundhogSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2022, 09:18 AM   #190
SomeGeoffGuy

Drives: 2023 2SS Convertible
2016 with 35k miles and mine is fine. It is garaged, but I put it up and down all the time when driving, even on short trips.

-Geoff
SomeGeoffGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2022, 11:30 AM   #191
nancygrl
雪の玉

I dropped by the dealer (closed Sunday) so I could look and take my time and photos of the back glass. They have 2 'verts (a '22 & '23) and the glass appears to be good with no signs of delamination, fwiw. I guess it's all a crapshoot. Decisions, decisions....
Old 09-05-2022, 04:11 AM   #192
truckrglenn

Drives: Chevy camaro
Bought my 2017 Camaro RS in January with 25,000 miles. The top looks original and the rear glass looks good.
Old 09-08-2022, 12:07 AM   #193
Algeron

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Convertible, 1998 Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancygrl View Post
I had this happen on my 2016 2ss convertible (bought 4-9-16). It started about a month before the 3 year warranty was up (was around 32k miles at this point). Warranty covered it. Replacement top had a warped rear glass. Top had to be replaced again. Currently, car has 57900 miles on it, and the issue has not reoccured. Will either be selling it, or trading it when my ZL1 convertible (yes, I bought another) gets delivered.
Old 10-04-2022, 06:31 PM   #194
02blackss

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Convertible
I have a 2023 ZL1 vert coming in shortly and I will add my 2 cents on this....

I had a 1995 Olds Cutlass Supreme convertible for 10 years without a single issue...now, that top was of the vinyl type, but no issues with the glass separation either.

If anyone remembers the fiasco on the 4th gen camaro sail panels on coupes, the glue underneath when hot would bubble the paint and look like "paint acne" as some would call it.... The cause of that was being left in the hot sun. I just sold my 2002 SS last month to make way for my 23' vert and 20 years later I had no issues with the paint bubbling because it lived in the shade all its life.....Only solution was to replace the entire sail panel...

I have a strong feeling the separation is caused by the sun baking the adhesive, softening it up, then hardening again in shade..repeat repeat repeat.

I can't speak for the new ones on the lot looking like this from the factory, they should never pass QA or even leave the factory.

I have done extensive reading on this, all threads, and people in colder climates like Canada do not seem to be reporting this as much if at all.......

Thoughts?

Jason
02blackss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 12:42 PM   #195
SomeGeoffGuy

Drives: 2023 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02blackss View Post
I have a strong feeling the separation is caused by the sun baking the adhesive, softening it up, then hardening again in shade..repeat repeat repeat.
I agree - solar load is actually one of the toughest things these cars face from a durability standpoint. No issues on my 2016 with 33k miles but it spends most of it's life in the garage, and at work I can park in a parking ramp.

-Geoff
SomeGeoffGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2022, 07:46 PM   #196
02blackss

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Convertible
Interesting note here....I just picked up my 23' ZL1 convertible and of course its the first thing I looked at...the glass....No Issues.

One thing I did notice is the brand of glass used in my 23' is different then the other photos I have seen. I can't imagine that would matter but you never know.....

I think it was XYG glass which is a chinese company.... I am away for a few days from home but when I get back I will confirm....

Who knows if the glass they were using had some shipping coating/other solvent on it before the glue is applied....

No one has mentioned the glass itself, so who knows..

Jason
02blackss is offline   Reply With Quote