Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 12-11-2019, 06:09 AM   #1
SoulGen6

Drives: Camaro SS 1LE Gen 6
Exclamation The End of a Legend

Does anyone know if this is true or not? I read this article that contained this message below and started to freak out!

"According to the original report on the demise of the Camaro, the current sixth-generation car will live on to 2023 (it was just updated for 2019). There will reportedly be only special editions and design packs to entice buyers in the coming years, however.
We've reached out to Chevy for an official comment, and will report back if we hear anything."
SoulGen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 06:17 AM   #2
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Yes old news!
Old 12-11-2019, 09:26 AM   #3
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
We knew it would live till 2023, it's what happens AFTER 2023 that we don't know yet for sure.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 09:33 AM   #4
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
car companies like re-using names they've built up recognition with. So it's likely they'll call something else the camaro ... judging by the direction the market is going, it'll probably be some kind of suv. because the public is a bunch of unimaginative, self hating, poor driving, overcompensating idiots who only seem to buy SUVs and trucks. I'm sure they'll call it a crossover or some nonsense, but it's an SUV - which is just a glorified minivan.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 10:57 AM   #5
chevybill

Drives: 1994 z-28, 2017 2ss 6spd
"but it's an SUV - which is just a glorified minivan."

Exactly, my thoughts.

None of these "sheeple" have experienced the wood grain mini vans of the 1980's.

Never in the history of the automobile, has the general transportation offerings been so bland, boring and generic.
chevybill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 04:56 PM   #6
MackSteelPrivateEye
Banned

Drives: 6 on the Flo' Super Sport
I'll ask Mary next week when we do lunch.
MackSteelPrivateEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 08:31 PM   #7
Frank237

Drives: Kubota 2640, 83 BMW R-65, 2017 1 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by MackSteelPrivateEye View Post
I'll ask Mary next week when we do lunch.
Tell her to get going on my C8 too. Thanks.
Frank237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 09:20 PM   #8
protovack

Drives: 2019 2LT 2.0T M6 Riverside Blue
welcome to the board! Yep that article is old, and we had an extensive discussion on it here, filled with wild speculation. Fortunately GM Authority's Alex Luft wrote the definitive piece on this topic shortly after the original article came out.

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2019/06/...omment-page-3/

Quote:
In speaking to various sources familiar with future GM plans, we weren’t able to get a clear consensus on the matter, while official requests for comment from GM/Chevrolet resulted in non-answers that diverted attention to the 2020 Camaro changes, including the new LT1 trim level. Luckily, we can turn to other forms of information to get a better idea of what’s going on beyond the headlines.

In talking to sources who spoke to us on the basis of anonymity, we got a uniform message that the current, sixth-generation Chevrolet Camaro will, in fact, be discontinued at the end of the 2022 calendar year. With the gen-six Camaro launched for the 2016 model year, an end of life in 2023 would give the mainstream sports car an eight-year-long lifespan. According to sources, a seven- to eight-year-long run has been the plan all along. In other words, the sixth-gen model was always supposed to live until the 2022-2023 timeframe. The more pertinent question is: what’s coming after?

The Platform Conundrum
Over the past few months, GM/Chevrolet started initial development work on the seventh-generation Camaro on the Alpha 2 platform, which is a slightly progressed version of the first-gen Alpha chassis used by the sixth-gen Camaro (the Cadillac CT5 uses Alpha 2). Our sources tell us that the decision to use A2 for the seventh-gen Camaro was a decision that was frowned upon. That’s because Alpha – no matter the generation – is considered a “legacy architecture” that does factor into GM’s plans to have the entire vehicle portfolio riding on four highly-flexible vehicle sets by 2025. Here’s where things start to get really interesting.

General Motors VSS Vehicle Set Strategy 004 - Convergence from Platforms

The only GM vehicle set capable of supporting a car like the Camaro is VSS-R (Vehicle Strategy Set – Rear drive). GM is planning to use VSS-R to underpin all future rear-drive cars (as opposed to SUVs or trucks) with a longitudinal powertrain orientation. The problem is VSS-R is the last GM vehicle set to go into production, and is not scheduled to launch until the 2025 calendar year on the second-generation Cadillac CT6.

And therein lies the problem: the sixth-gen Camaro is scheduled to end production in 2023, while the only platform vehicle set that could theoretically underpin the seventh-gen model won’t be ready for another 18-24 months, according to our sources. Faced with those circumstances, GM explored two strategies for the Camaro program:

Develop the seventh-gen Camaro on VSS-R, while either discontinuing the current sixth-gen Camaro or extending its lifespan by a year or two, or
Take the Camaro in a whole different direction, reimagining the Camaro entirely
It would appear as though The General has instead elected for the second option.

Reimagining An Icon
GM has made it crystal clear that its vision for the future is electric, with zero emissions (along with zero crashes and zero congestion). The automaker plans to roll out an entire onslaught of electric cars in the next few years. Despite the fact that the very few people are buying EVs at the moment, The General is pushing full steam ahead to bring to market 20 new electric cars by 2023. In fact, we recently learned that GM has doubled the resources allocated to the initiative, like assigning Camaro chief engineer, Al Oppenheiser, to lead GM’s electric vehicle program.

Part of GM’s electric initiative is a new, all-electric vehicle platform that we can currently refer to as BEV3. The architecture is being developed to be ever-flexible. It will be capable of supporting all kinds of body styles and all three drivetrain configurations – front-wheel-drive, rear-wheel-drive, and all-wheel-drive. In fact, it’s that very flexibility that GM is hoping will enable it to reach the scale necessary to become the first automaker to turn a profit on EVs. It’s also worth noting that BEV3 will incorporate elements of VSS-R, which is what led us to report earlier that the next-gen Camaro will ride on that vehicle set.

Either way, our sources tell us that a two-door mainstream sports car for Chevrolet is part of future GM electric vehicle plans. That much was even foreshadowed by GM itself in a 2017 slide, above, announcing the EV strategy. Whether that vehicle will actually wear the iconic Camaro name, or be called something else entirely, is currently unknown.

So while all of the above is still subject to change, last we heard, GM has both canceled and not canceled the seventh-gen Camaro, while refocusing its attention to another project that will completely reimagine the mainstream sports car. We’ll update you as we learn more. In the meantime, subscribe to GM Authority for more Camaro news, Chevrolet news, and around-the-clock GM news coverage.

Read more: http://gmauthority.com/blog/2019/06/...#ixzz67rKjEffV
They key words here being "a two-door mainstream sports car for Chevrolet is part of future GM electric vehicle plans."

So, yes, there will be a Camaro. It may have a 2-3 year hiatus after 2023, and then there will be an electric sports coupe. I'm betting it will still be called Camaro. They will let the excitement and anticipation build for several years, do a lot of teasing, but I don't believe they would risk alienating the loyal fanbase by calling it something different. They changed the Corvette completely but its still called "Corvette". I believe it will be the same with Camaro.
protovack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 06:29 AM   #9
Smokin19

Drives: 19' ZL1 A10, w/pdr
Hint, look what they did to the Mustang.
BTR Stg II cam w/ 38% fuel lobe, ARH 2" headers into 3" w/cats, AWE Touring, Kong X port, Weapon X triple ht exchangers, NW 103, Rotofab big gulp, DSX lowside, TCM tune, BMR Lockout, Mustang dyno 720 rwhp, 634 rwtq on 93 pump.
Smokin19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 06:30 AM   #10
LT4Greg

According to the article a 2 door EV sports car may or may not wear the iconic Camaro badge as its unknown at this time! So we really can’t definitely say it will be a Camaro but we can certainly hope it will be!��
Old 12-12-2019, 06:32 AM   #11
LT4Greg

Personally I think it would be cool to revive the Chevelle nameplate!��
Old 12-12-2019, 08:42 AM   #12
detamble13

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3 VR
It pains me to think they will abandon their V8 engines for electric motors. I can see offering both but why turn your back on years of development. If the market wants electric vehicles then by all means offer nothing but. That's just not the case though and it seems they're trying to tell you what you should want to buy.
detamble13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 10:28 AM   #13
geaux_tigerss

Drives: 2019 GMC Sierra 1500 AT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by detamble13 View Post
It pains me to think they will abandon their V8 engines for electric motors. I can see offering both but why turn your back on years of development. If the market wants electric vehicles then by all means offer nothing but. That's just not the case though and it seems they're trying to tell you what you should want to buy.
The problem will sort itself out.

Picture this: they release 2 SS models, the SS which is a small block V8, slightly better performance that what we have now, and an SSE, same car with an electric motor.

Unless the price is drastically higher for the SSE, who would actually buy the ICE SS? The electric will better it in every single performance metric. Maybe a few enthusiasts that want the soul and sound of a V8? That's niche market territory. I love my V8, my long tube headers, and my manual 6 speed. It has soul, and it sounds like a demon. Just cranking it makes my day better and I love watching heads turn when I blip the throttle. Would I choose it over the same car with an electric that is a full second faster 0-60 and can run an 11s 1/4 off the showroom floor? Nope.

The only possible preference for an ICE would be in a turbo 4 for the auto-x guys, but that's such a small market, I can't see GM developing a model for it unless it could bleed over into the fleet market.
geaux_tigerss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 10:42 AM   #14
95 imp
Dumb Ass Deluxe

Drives: A Tricked Out Mountain Bike
Pull the V8 and go EV? They might as well call it the No-maro, because no one is going to buy it.
95 imp is offline   Reply With Quote