Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 07-05-2019, 12:06 PM   #29
Cmax

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS FIFTY convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen6_1Le View Post
For the price difference i see it just don't make sense getting a LT1, i would have to go with the SS for every performance reason even if you only plan on going straight or just a daily driver . I don't care how much weight it saves for a $3k price difference the SS is a cost effective starting point . It's just like over the history of Camaro and people who drag raced the car of choice was the Z28 ,didn't see many Berlinettas or Type LT running the streets , I'm sure there was some but nothing like the Z28 was used . The only sense i see in LT1 at its price point would be in the future if the SS goes to the LT2 and bumps up HP and cost the LT1 remains the same .
I think the LT1 might fit the bill for someone that wants to take the V8 and mod it the way the want..... maybe custom rims/tires that they would have replaced anyway on an SS. Maybe better brakes than the SS. Maybe make it a sleeper.
Or a clone SS.
$3,000 can buy a sweet set of custom rims and tires and have more than a grand left for a wicker bill, splitter and side skirts.
IMHO
Cmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 12:53 PM   #30
Red Chief

Drives: 2020 LT1 Black
It's going to depend on the pricing for me.

I can definitely see dealerships letting 2019 1SS Camaros out the door for less than a new LT1. That would be mostly Chevy's fault for the overall slow sales of the Gen 6 and poor design choices with the refresh.

I've even thought about going to a standard transmission since most dealerships can't give those away. Losing remote start is a major issue during winter but manuals are funner to drive and the stutter issue seems to be absent from them.

Overall I think the best course of action is to be patient when you start seriously shopping. Don't go to one dealership in person and try to extract the deal you want from one salesman. Talk to multiple dealerships in your area before you make a buying decision.
Red Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 01:32 PM   #31
Mighty Mouce
Banned

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyRules View Post
No he means LT1 vs SS.... LT1 is the new trim model for 2020. Which basically is a LT with the LT1.

So the front has brembo brakes, but the rears don't, can't get MRC, etc.

The LT is basically a 1LT with a LT1 engine with a 1LT body thats not an SS but is as fast as an SS because it has the LT1 engine like an SS. So it looks like a 1LT and may handle like a 1LT because its not setup like an SS. Can you understand the words coming out of my mouth?

Mighty Mouce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 01:42 PM   #32
cbr1100xx
Account Suspended

Drives: '14 Jetta 1.8, '19 1SS
SS for sure. Especially if you can get $5K off MSRP which isn't that uncommon. Staggered setup. Rear brembos, bigger screen. Summer tires..etc
cbr1100xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 01:55 PM   #33
95 imp
Dumb Ass Deluxe

Drives: A Tricked Out Mountain Bike
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty Mouce View Post
The LT is basically a 1LT with a LT1 engine with a 1LT body thats not an SS but is as fast as an SS because it has the LT1 engine like an SS. So it looks like a 1LT and may handle like a 1LT because its not setup like an SS. Can you understand the words coming out of my mouth?
So what you're saying is it's really should be called the "S" trim, as in half the goodies you get in the "SS" trim?

95 imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 02:58 PM   #34
GearheadSS

Drives: 23 LT1/22 Colorado TB/69 Chevelle

GearheadSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 03:15 PM   #35
protovack

Drives: 2019 2LT 2.0T M6 Riverside Blue
Dont get the recaros for daily driving.
Id say go LT1. Doesnt sound like you need the ss stuff
protovack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 03:24 PM   #36
indy82z

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS HW Edition, 2020 LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbr1100xx View Post
SS for sure. Especially if you can get $5K off MSRP which isn't that uncommon. Staggered setup. Rear brembos, bigger screen. Summer tires..etc
This whole question is quickly becoming a mute point as the vast majority of the dealers here are only wanting to go 1-2K off of sticker. Heck, there are several dealers with new 2018's still that want 38K for a 41K sticker and are not willing to discount it or negotiate any. I found one that was willing to go down to around 36K on a 41500 sticker, but he is a jerk and honestly, dont care to give him my business. I have reached out to Becky and if nothing changes here in the next couple of weeks, I will be placing an order for a LT1.
indy82z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 03:53 PM   #37
protovack

Drives: 2019 2LT 2.0T M6 Riverside Blue
Here is the thing. You want the 10 speed auto, not the 8. That rules out a used A8 SS. Therefore I would say wait, order an LT1 in the color you want with the options you want and call it a day. Make it your own. You can upgrade the brakes/cooling if you really want to later.

Last edited by protovack; 07-05-2019 at 04:11 PM.
protovack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 05:54 PM   #38
Need4Camaro

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS & '99 Camaro Z28
My opinion: If you have the money to comfortably afford an SS, you should. If you just really want a Camaro but are on a budget... LT1. The SS still has many perks over the LT1. I personally would be alittle afraid of my car if it didn't have brembos on all corners.
Need4Camaro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 11:06 PM   #39
IOMike

Drives: 2022 F150, 87 Monte Carlo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty Mouce View Post

The LT1 still has SS suspension, SS hood and SS front brakes. All you're losing is brembo rear brakes (which realistically do little to nothing over standard brakes, it's the fronts that do the work), extra cooling (needed for competition at the track which 99.9% of Camaros will never need) and better wheels and tires.

Some people act like it's a lower tier performance level than the SS and it's really not. My only gripe is no rev match and no MRC option

To say it blows your mind and you wouldn't feel safe in it...omfg
IOMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 11:10 PM   #40
IOMike

Drives: 2022 F150, 87 Monte Carlo
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearheadSS View Post

I'd take the slash away and agree with you. Especially if it had some nice 19s like the ZL1 1LE style.

#Ultimate enthusiast Camaro
IOMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 07:44 AM   #41
freddyD

Drives: 2020 rally green rs
I am thinking about the newLT1 who needs SS badges?and the other things,same tire size you can rotate them,and you will need to after you fry the rear ones.I like the idea a camaro WITH a v8 nothing more.
freddyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 08:00 AM   #42
Gen6_1Le

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1Le
Quote:
Originally Posted by IOMike View Post
The LT1 still has SS suspension, SS hood and SS front brakes. All you're losing is brembo rear brakes (which realistically do little to nothing over standard brakes, it's the fronts that do the work), extra cooling (needed for competition at the track which 99.9% of Camaros will never need) and better wheels and tires.

Some people act like it's a lower tier performance level than the SS and it's really not. My only gripe is no rev match and no MRC option

To say it blows your mind and you wouldn't feel safe in it...omfg
The LT1 is not on the same performance level as the SS , there would be a point where all those things you say is not needed would be its weakness . No matter how people use the performance level of their car its always better to be prepared than to come up short , especially when it comes to lives . Thinking that extra cooling only helps at a track is just foolish .
Gen6_1Le is offline   Reply With Quote