Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 06-07-2011, 10:17 AM   #15
Scarrzz
No Fear-No Limits- Camaro

Drives: '13 ZL1 or Suzuki Hayabusa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z_Rocks View Post
That because, I figured that's what you wanted me to say...

Rex Kramer: No... that's just what they'll be expecting us to do!

(Robert Stack in Airplane.)
Scarrzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 11:01 AM   #16
Z_Rocks

Drives: everyone crazy...
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
As others have pointed out, it seems like the OEM air box isn't a huge restriction. I believe the restrictions to be the resonators that hang off of the inlet tubes on most OEM intake systems. The opening on the lower front of the OEM SS air cleaner not only draws in cold air from behind the headlight, it's pretty generously sized. Now, I don't see any such resonators on the inlet for ZL1 (for now), and if that remains, I think most restrictions have been addressed. There is one SC upgrade package from one of our Sponsors for CTS-V, and all they replace on the OEM inlet is the flex hose; they leave the air cleaner alone and replace the belts, T-stat, pulleys and such. Anyhoo - I'm thinking GM will do a good job with the intake. Considering the sound of the exhaust, I don't know that air intake noise will be much of a concern

If so, I'll be replacing that stuff The more noise, the better
Hey Chuck;
Yes, I've noticed the resonators are not there on ZL1. And I never understood why they had them on the SS. So, this might be good.

In some of the previous testing, the GM tube had created the least amount of turbulence. That's a huge benefit, that doesn't trip the computer.

My only [could be from lack of knowledge] hesitation has been on the box and air flow through the box especially under load/boost. So, I hope the air flows through nice and easy.
Z_Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 12:14 PM   #17
G8GT4now

Drives: 14 SS Sedan
GT500 powertrain warranty - 60,000 miles
CTS-V powertrain warranty - 100,000 miles
G8GT4now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 12:16 PM   #18
Z_Rocks

Drives: everyone crazy...
Quote:
Originally Posted by G8GT4now View Post
GT500 powertrain warranty - 60,000 miles
CTS-V powertrain warranty - 100,000 miles
Good point!!!
Z_Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 01:55 PM   #19
armysig
Catch me if you can

Drives: 2012 IOM ZL-1
I was just poking around some of the pictures of the ZL-1 engine bay and I noticed that it looks like the Air box/filter are the same as the SS. Now the intake tube is different, but that's not a big issue as I'm sure manufactures of the aftermarket intakes have to redesign that at a small cost.

So, with that said, it looks like you'll be able to take your current SS aftermarket intake, modify your tube and you should be able to save some bucks and put it on the ZL-1.

Save those cold air intakes if you can!!!
Old 06-07-2011, 02:32 PM   #20
garcmol

Drives: 10 1LT SIM; 91 B4C sleeper Z
You don't know what's under that box yet
Old 06-07-2011, 08:58 PM   #21
OldJedi
Use the Force

Drives: 2015 Corvette Z51, 2018 Porsche GTS
Send a message via AIM to OldJedi
I will go with Dragoneye & Radz, the guys and girls bringing the ZL1 to us are still testing and finalizing this car and still have plenty of time left to finish the car. I believe the engineers building this car will bring us the best Camaro ever.
Old 06-08-2011, 01:50 PM   #22
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Hey Chuck;
Yes, I've noticed the resonators are not there on ZL1. And I never understood why they had them on the SS. So, this might be good.

In some of the previous testing, the GM tube had created the least amount of turbulence. That's a huge benefit, that doesn't trip the computer.

My only [could be from lack of knowledge] hesitation has been on the box and air flow through the box especially under load/boost. So, I hope the air flows through nice and easy.
I noticed when I replaced the lid on my '02 and eliminated the HUGE resonators, there was little change in intake noise. That was NOT the case on my 4Runner, when I pretty much did the same thing. It's twice as loud as the exhaust (which has a Magnaflow muffler). I see both ZR1 and CTS-V have resonators, so they may be added, but I'm not convinced the air box is the restriction yet. I have no data to back this up; just going by looks only.

I know that I don't want the inlet tube to be sucked close, like has allegedly been reported on some CTS-V cars, so I know I'll be replacing that. If there is anything I notice in the airbox I'm in question of, I might just hack it off with my grinder, if necessary. I like that it seems there is still a cold air function, so I guess we'll have to wait and see. So far, though, I'm not sure the OEM set-up is too bad. We when start turning up the wick, though, that will change

Quote:
Originally Posted by armysig View Post
I was just poking around some of the pictures of the ZL-1 engine bay and I noticed that it looks like the Air box/filter are the same as the SS. Now the intake tube is different, but that's not a big issue as I'm sure manufactures of the aftermarket intakes have to redesign that at a small cost.

So, with that said, it looks like you'll be able to take your current SS aftermarket intake, modify your tube and you should be able to save some bucks and put it on the ZL-1.

Save those cold air intakes if you can!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garcmol View Post
You don't know what's under that box yet
Do tell

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldJedi View Post
I will go with Dragoneye & Radz, the guys and girls bringing the ZL1 to us are still testing and finalizing this car and still have plenty of time left to finish the car. I believe the engineers building this car will bring us the best Camaro ever.
GM's made statements that they don't want to compete - they want to win

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 03:03 PM   #23
Truck Norris
Thread Mover

Drives: a Monte Carlo
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
Personally, I'd rather have a ZL1 that's cheaper and faster than the GT500. If that means that I lose 15 ponies that I could have had, I'll go buy a CAI elsewhere.
And loose your warranty.

Personally I'd rather not have my warranty voided if I want to hear my supercharger scream.

Quote:
And if we replace the box, we have to tune it and GM "can" play the warranty game on a changed tune.

So, why does GM build a F/I car and then chock it?
Money

Quote:
Fair enough to both points.
Not really.

It safe to say a CAI will be one of the first mods people will put on their Z and that's going to cause all the problems mentioned by the OP. The factory air box is always a choke point on FI vehicles and it will be the same on the ZL1 vs aftermarket CAI which will require a tune and blah, blah, blah.

I can already see the threads. Come on GM and put a proper CAI on your supercharged 556hp flagship Camaro.

Its going to be so hard for ZL1 owners to resist hearing the awesome sounds of a screaming supercharger and to make customer void their warranty to do so SUCKS.

Ford probably took note of what its customers where doing to their GT500's and decided to give it to them stock which resulted in a 40hp gain over the previous non CAI years and I think Chevy should follow suit for the ZL1.

Its the small things like this that I am taking into consideration before I buy my next fast toy.

Last edited by Truck Norris; 06-10-2011 at 03:14 PM.
Truck Norris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 05:37 PM   #24
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
A proper intake shouldn't void anything so long as nothing fails.

I'm a little amused at the focus on a "CAI" when the factory is already 75% there...