Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 08-14-2022, 04:53 PM   #1
Jarek

Drives: 2017 2SS Convertible
[SOLVED] Evaporator drain location

Hello,

Can someone describe or post a photo where to find a evaporator drain hose under the car (2017 6.2 SS vert)?
I need to check if it is not clogged and do the evaporator cleaning (with the Wurth spray with the hose that you are inserting in the evaporator drain to get to the evaporator - recommend way to do the AC clean-up).
I have checked the site but couldn't find any such description (if there is and I have missed it, please direct me to it).

Best regards,
Jarek

Last edited by Jarek; 08-17-2022 at 05:07 AM. Reason: topic solved
Jarek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 05:32 PM   #2
Trochoidal

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Someone mentions toward the center of the firewall. Judging from this picture it look more towards the passenger side.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=531269
Attached Images

Originally Posted by arpad_m - “Aww, yet another oil thread with almost the same question in the OP“
Trochoidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 02:46 AM   #3
Jarek

Thank you Trochoidal
I will check in that area under the car.
Thanks for the photos but to be honest I have no idea what I am looking at
(is this driver side and passenger side? which one is which then? and of course is the hose visible on these photos? is this the the tube looking thing on the lower-right corner of the bottom photo?)

BR,
Jarek
Old 08-15-2022, 09:10 AM   #4
The Maverick
Somewhere in the Kalahari

Drives: 2021/18 (de-fresh) 3LT RS
I wasn't sure at first either, but it looks like the white object is the cabin air filter. So the first photo would be the side facing the passenger compartment, and the second photo would be the side facing the engine compartment. The second photo therefore shows the AC lines running through the passenger side of the firewall.

As for the drain tube, not sure where it is in those photos...
The Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 10:13 AM   #5
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Maverick View Post
As for the drain tube, not sure where it is in those photos...
On the bottom, which is not shown.
I did a search for this in the repair manual, and there is no diagram, just comments saying "make sure it's not clogged."
I had suggested in other threads to use an inspection cam to get around the transmission and find it. They are pretty cheap on amazon. You might be able to feed a hose up into the tube by tying to the end of the cam, then introduce your cleaning chemical remotely.

Evaporator smell problems are pretty hard to resolve in cars. Usually bacteria have started to grow on the thing and that leads to corrosion. The corrosion makes it harder to clean and can lead to leaks. It's a bacterium (not a fungus) that usually causes the trouble. Used to know the name but forgot (and no one really cares).
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 07:20 AM   #6
Jarek

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrlz View Post
On the bottom, which is not shown.

I had suggested in other threads to use an inspection cam to get around the transmission and find it. They are pretty cheap on amazon. You might be able to feed a hose up into the tube by tying to the end of the cam, then introduce your cleaning chemical remotely.
It means that it is not easily accessible either. I suspect I will have a wonderful-car-underside-exploration-time
I think I will have to lift the car up at my mechanics and then look for it (they should have such camera as well).
Let's see how it goes (once I will find it I will try to take a photo and share here.

BR,
Jarek
Old 08-16-2022, 07:19 PM   #7
SSgtSS1LE

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
Name:  AC Evaporator and Blower Case Drain.JPG
Views: 1742
Size:  129.8 KB
SSgtSS1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 07:51 PM   #8
Trochoidal

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSgtSS1LE View Post
This make a lot of sense. I’ve had my car up in the air, not long after using the AC, and the water was dripping off of the cover that is pictured for removal. The water was coming from the driver side.

Nice find SSgtSS1LE!

Originally Posted by arpad_m - “Aww, yet another oil thread with almost the same question in the OP“
Trochoidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 05:05 AM   #9
Jarek

Thank you SSgtSS1LE.
We have it clear now - drain outlet is above transmission and it's cover.
In order to clean the evaporator you would actually need to remove the trans with cover... or use the camera like ctrlz suggested.
GM made this maintenance job very complicated then.