Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 08-10-2022, 05:13 PM   #1
NG329

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 1LE
CT5 V Carbon Ceramic Brakes

Does anyone know if these will fit the ZL1?
NG329 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 02:16 PM   #2
zapp

Drives: 2022 ZLE 6M
https://www.automoblog.net/brembo-cadillac-blackwing/

I would also love to know that
zapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 02:47 PM   #3
RUQWIKR

Drives: 1LEs
These use the front caliper on the 2022 Camaro BCD J6H caliper but with vented pistons. They are CCB, so pads from C7 / C6 J57 CCM Corvettes don’t plant nice nor those from the 14 / 15 Z28. The rear of the CT5-V BW uses an extra external parking brake not a drum-in-hat e-brake like Gen 5 / 6 Camaros.
RUQWIKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 03:00 PM   #4
Vigilante375

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
Real question is are you going to actually use this on the track? If you're just getting it to get it because it's CCB, then why spend $10k on a piece that is designed to operate at high temps and gives the same performance (maybe worse) than the stock brakes while driving around town.

I understand people will do what they want but don't think that the CCBs offer better braking power over the stock brakes for a car that you'll only drive around town or on a nice Sunday.
Vigilante375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 08:08 PM   #5
Stevezx900

Drives: Buick Grand National, BMW M5
But they do look very cool!
Lol.
Stevezx900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 08:56 PM   #6
NG329

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigilante375 View Post
Real question is are you going to actually use this on the track? If you're just getting it to get it because it's CCB, then why spend $10k on a piece that is designed to operate at high temps and gives the same performance (maybe worse) than the stock brakes while driving around town.

I understand people will do what they want but don't think that the CCBs offer better braking power over the stock brakes for a car that you'll only drive around town or on a nice Sunday.
Old 08-14-2022, 08:58 PM   #7
NG329

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUQWIKR View Post
These use the front caliper on the 2022 Camaro BCD J6H caliper but with vented pistons. They are CCB, so pads from C7 / C6 J57 CCM Corvettes don’t plant nice nor those from the 14 / 15 Z28. The rear of the CT5-V BW uses an extra external parking brake not a drum-in-hat e-brake like Gen 5 / 6 Camaros.
I'm not that smart. Can you elaborate? Are you saying the front CCB rotors will work along with corresponding brake pads with the ZLE Brembo calipers?

I'd be happy with just the fronts if I can use them. That's where the bulk of the weight savings are anyway.
Old 08-14-2022, 09:13 PM   #8
Vigilante375

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by NG329 View Post
Making sure you weren't one of those people that wasn't CCBs because you know..... its CCBs and they look cool.

As far as I know, these CCBs use the same setup as the copper free brakes that the ZL1 and SS1LE can be optioned with.

So that means you can't just swap out the rotors and pads, you'll need to change out the calipers as well unless your car already has the copper free brakes from the factory.
Vigilante375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 09:17 PM   #9
NG329

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigilante375 View Post
Making sure you weren't one of those people that wasn't CCBs because you know..... its CCBs and they look cool.

As far as I know, these CCBs use the same setup as the copper free brakes that the ZL1 and SS1LE can be optioned with.

So that means you can't just swap out the rotors and pads, you'll need to change out the calipers as well unless your car already has the copper free brakes from the factory.
Brilliant!

So I need:
1 - Front CCB Rotors and Pads
2 - Front ZL1 Rotors designed for the Copper Free brakes

....let me know if I'm missing anything.
Old 08-14-2022, 09:23 PM   #10
zapp

I doubt that the ZL1 copper free calipers will work as those calipers are designed for 390mm rotors and the CCB rotors are closer to 400mm.

I'm happy to do more research on this, but:
I there a proper online parts catalogue for Cadillac?
I can't find one.. :/
Old 08-14-2022, 10:20 PM   #11
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

Drives: 18 ZLE
Most likely carry over parts from 2019 ZR1 or Z06.. maybe hat change to accommodate different offsets.

CCB rotors come in few common sizes, 390, 392, 394 x 36mm that can fit our cars. 390 being STOCK on ZL1.

Rear.. not worth changing, minimal weight savings.

Rockauto is good source of specs, NAPA used to be another, but new catalog system is kinda shit. GM parts catalog on many dealer parts department sometimes has good info, thickness, diameter, offsets, etc.
Attached Images

Are you in the NY/NJ/PA/CT region? Join us for autox fun at MetLife Stadium. HUGE lots, tons of runs.

http://www.motorsportsne.com/
Vtor_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 05:39 AM   #12
RUQWIKR

Drives: 1LEs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vtor_ZL1 View Post
Most likely carry over parts from 2019 ZR1 or Z06.. maybe hat change to accommodate different offsets.

CCB rotors come in few common sizes, 390, 392, 394 x 36mm that can fit our cars. 390 being STOCK on ZL1.

Rear.. not worth changing, minimal weight savings.

Rockauto is good source of specs, NAPA used to be another, but new catalog system is kinda shit. GM parts catalog on many dealer parts department sometimes has good info, thickness, diameter, offsets, etc.
FYI - the GM carbon rotors, other than the CT5-V BW, are CCM not CCB. The BW is CCB. Difference in construction, difference in pad make up. The GM front CCM rotors (C6 / C7 / Z28) are 394x36 but they fit in the regular ZL1 J6H caliper. I've made the mistake, too, of typing CCB to mean the carbon ceramic brakes on the old GM cars, but, technically, that is not correct. I just wanted to point out that the CT5-V BW carbon rotor and pad material is incompatible and vice versa with the older GM stuff.

Easy description from the web: CCB is a disc made up by a core of ceramic material, reinforced with carbon fiber and covered by an additional ceramic friction layer on both braking surfaces. Ceramic Composite Material – CCM is made up by a core of ceramic material, reinforced with carbon fiber. In comparison to CCB, CCM disc braking surfaces are not covered by an additional ceramic friction layer.
RUQWIKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 12:19 PM   #13
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

Drives: 18 ZLE
Yup - does appears to be the case. Bobbins are also different, potentially to prevent cross breeding
Attached Images

Are you in the NY/NJ/PA/CT region? Join us for autox fun at MetLife Stadium. HUGE lots, tons of runs.

http://www.motorsportsne.com/
Vtor_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 01:46 PM   #14
zapp

Great in infos, thank guys!

If one would want to upgrade just pads and rotors of the ZL1 1LE front brakes (the copper brake system, not the newer copper-free RPO BCD system), which rotors and pad would fit?
Would you have the parts numbers at hand for those?