Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 10-04-2017, 05:00 PM   #519
1le32907

Drives: Summit white 1le ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe's_cool_1le View Post
http://www.lingenfelter.com/product/...l#.WdVCQEyZPq0

That's what I want when I go forged. Still hoping more options come out before I pull the trigger.

That is an expensive kit
1le32907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 05:13 PM   #520
Joe's_cool_1le

Drives: Black 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1le32907 View Post
That is an expensive kit
Extremely! Thinking once more options hit the market the prices will come down.
2017 1LE SS Black - Mods - Forged - lowered compression - BTR custom Cam - Whipple, 3.500 upper and 8.0 lower pulley, Roto-Fab, 1 7/8 Kooks headers, off road pipes, & 3" Kooks full exhaust. LT4 fuel system, with Alky single nozzle running 100% meth. (not installed yet) DSX Tuning flex fuel and DSX tuning Aux pump
Joe's_cool_1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 05:58 PM   #521
1le32907

Quote:
Extremely! Thinking once more options hit the market the prices will come down.
What is your power goal joe. I don’t think we ever talked about that... that cam kit seems alittle over priced. Are you thinking going e85 and possibly methanol? Your rods are good up to 850-900 so unless you plan on exceeding that would would put you well over 1k hp at the crank you could maybe try some other options that would save you some cash
Old 10-04-2017, 06:28 PM   #522
Joe's_cool_1le

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1le32907 View Post
What is your power goal joe. I don’t think we ever talked about that... that cam kit seems alittle over priced. Are you thinking going e85 and possibly methanol? Your rods are good up to 850-900 so unless you plan on exceeding that would would put you well over 1k hp at the crank you could maybe try some other options that would save you some cash
More of a staged process for me since I realized that once you have that HP bug the damage is done. So I've since been looking to buy things that will take the Whipple to it's limits if I decide to take it there. It wasn't part of my initial thought process but once I started looking at next stages it became a domino effect.

I initially wanted between 650-700 to the wheels. Then seeing at a local shop a new Gen 6 and others online having some ring gap issues it gave me pause. Then I decided I'd only take the stock bottom end to 650. And I really didn't want to do meth.

So researching the cost of having a shop drop in forged pistons was pretty pricey. Then thinking if you have her opened up you should then do a cam swap. Then I heard the lifters weren't that great in the LT1's. That redirected me to just buying a forged engine, all the while hoping for a fuel system without meth, and selling my stock LT1 to recoup some cash.

Most of the above I take personal blame for because of tortured analytical mind.
2017 1LE SS Black - Mods - Forged - lowered compression - BTR custom Cam - Whipple, 3.500 upper and 8.0 lower pulley, Roto-Fab, 1 7/8 Kooks headers, off road pipes, & 3" Kooks full exhaust. LT4 fuel system, with Alky single nozzle running 100% meth. (not installed yet) DSX Tuning flex fuel and DSX tuning Aux pump
Old 10-05-2017, 02:52 PM   #523
SS Camaro Freak

Drives: 2016 Gen 6 SS 6spd
Quote:
Car was bogging down thru just about every gear when getting on it so I changed these plugs out. All plugs looked the same. I did find some oxidation (white powder) in one of the spark plug wires connection so I cleaned that out too. Car runs awesome again.
This looks like fouling from bad gas? or did you say you used octane booster?
SS Camaro Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 03:07 PM   #524
Joe's_cool_1le

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Camaro Freak View Post
This looks like fouling from bad gas? or did you say you used octane booster?
LOL. The bad gas thought was really around the knock I would hear at WOT in the high RPM range. The thought was either bad gas or maybe tune but the octane boost seem to take care or it. Or at least I thought it did. But then the car started bogging down in first gear again (did it right after having the headers installed) and then progressively got worse (again the same thing as before).

The fix then was replace the spark plugs and wires for the bogging.

Now that it happened again I decided to change the plugs myself and adjust the gap too. Since then the car has never run better including no longer having knock.
Old 10-05-2017, 08:14 PM   #525
SS Camaro Freak

Quote:
LOL. The bad gas thought was really around the knock I would hear at WOT in the high RPM range. The thought was either bad gas or maybe tune but the octane boost seem to take care or it. Or at least I thought it did. But then the car started bogging down in first gear again (did it right after having the headers installed) and then progressively got worse (again the same thing as before).

The fix then was replace the spark plugs and wires for the bogging.

Now that it happened again I decided to change the plugs myself and adjust the gap too. Since then the car has never run better including no longer having knock.
In to see if this is the fix. Are you going to use octane booster or just run pump?
Old 10-05-2017, 08:22 PM   #526
Joe's_cool_1le

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Camaro Freak View Post
In to see if this is the fix. Are you going to use octane booster or just run pump?
No knock and it's running great so no need. Just glad it's finally running great!
Old 10-05-2017, 08:24 PM   #527
SS Camaro Freak

Quote:
No knock and it's running great so no need. Just glad it's finally running great!
Check this thread:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ark-plugs.html

New plugs will do that! Hope fully you fund the right combo now.
Old 10-05-2017, 08:27 PM   #528
Joe's_cool_1le

Quote:
What would you get out of a tune with this change?
SS Camaro Freak. You responded to my question to your response.
Old 10-05-2017, 08:35 PM   #529
Joe's_cool_1le

Any of you other Whipple guys running a larger TB? If so what are you using and what are your thoughts on it?
Old 10-05-2017, 10:58 PM   #530
1le32907

Using stock one joe... hasn’t even come up when planning the next part of the build
Old 10-06-2017, 08:15 PM   #531
Chevy71

Drives: 2016 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlypullin View Post
Do you know the max & safest power that you can make with 93 octane and lt4 injectors & HPFP? I would like to hit 630-640 rwhp.
I'm doing more than that on stock LT1 HPFP and Injectors. The LT4 stuff doesn't perform as well in the LT1 as it does in the LT4 because the cam is different. The actual size and stroke difference is minuet and not worth it at all IMO. Like Joe said, I'm hoping for a true upgrade from the aftermarket world.
SW long tube headers
3" stainless mid pipe - Secondary Cat delete - High flow cats
Port and polished heads-Double valve springs-platinum lifters & push rods
Cam phaser limiter - DOD delete
P1SC-1 Pro Charger 3.7 pulley
Stage II intercooler
667rwhp 577ft lbs
Chevy71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 08:23 PM   #532
Chevy71

Drives: 2016 2SS
Quote:
More of a staged process for me since I realized that once you have that HP bug the damage is done. So I've since been looking to buy things that will take the Whipple to it's limits if I decide to take it there. It wasn't part of my initial thought process but once I started looking at next stages it became a domino effect.

I initially wanted between 650-700 to the wheels. Then seeing at a local shop a new Gen 6 and others online having some ring gap issues it gave me pause. Then I decided I'd only take the stock bottom end to 650. And I really didn't want to do meth.

So researching the cost of having a shop drop in forged pistons was pretty pricey. Then thinking if you have her opened up you should then do a cam swap. Then I heard the lifters weren't that great in the LT1's. That redirected me to just buying a forged engine, all the while hoping for a fuel system without meth, and selling my stock LT1 to recoup some cash.

Most of the above I take personal blame for because of tortured analytical mind.
The forged bottom end is very respectable and can take a beatin. I'm dropping Venegence forged pistons by Wiseco in my car now. I put platinum BTR lifters, pushrods, and double valve springs in mine. With this, it will handle all the power I'll ever put at it and it was less than the forged bottom ends. Start getting too high and it loses the DD aspect without doing a pile of work. My CTS-V at 857rwhp was awesome to drive, but I had to do a lot of work to it often lol. I'm not going that far with this car for sure.
SW long tube headers
3" stainless mid pipe - Secondary Cat delete - High flow cats
Port and polished heads-Double valve springs-platinum lifters & push rods
Cam phaser limiter - DOD delete
P1SC-1 Pro Charger 3.7 pulley
Stage II intercooler
667rwhp 577ft lbs
Chevy71 is offline   Reply With Quote