#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 07-05-2022, 08:55 PM   #15
NASTY_1LE

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoobtotheNoog View Post
So...just curious. How does one land on 4 quarts here?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07S989F15...seeDetailsToDp

Last edited by NASTY_1LE; 07-05-2022 at 09:05 PM.
NASTY_1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 09:12 PM   #16
1badtie

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
is this real life right now?

2010 2SS RS --- SOLD
MODS-
Performance: BMR trailing arms & bushings | BMR Toe links | X-pipe | Muffler delete | Vmax ported throttle body | Apex "strong" MAS | Vararam CAI | Apex catch can | Kooks Headers | Kooks HF Cats | Dyno tuned by GPI 417 RWHP 409 FT-Lb
Cosmetic: painted Zl1 rockers | Zl1 grill | AAC side markers | AAC LED backup lights | windows tint | taillight tint | JDP tow hook | all emblems blacked out | LED fogs
1badtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 10:30 PM   #17
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by NASTY_1LE View Post
...so at your last oil change, did you drain the oil and then put only 6 quarts into your SS 1LE? This would explain why the dipstick reads normal after adding 4 quarts, but then were you running the engine on 6 quarts till the oil life monitor went from 100% to 2%?

You messed up either way, which I'm sure you know all too well already , do the oil change correctly now (drain all, add exactly 10 quarts, wait, read dipstick to confirm) and pray your engine wasn't damaged too much.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 11:01 PM   #18
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
I am definitely willing to cut OP some slack here. I mean, we all start somewhere. When I bought my first car, a 08 Honda Accord Coupe V6, I didn't even know what type of engine it had. Told my old man it has 192 BHP while it really has 268 BHP, LOL.

That said, do make sure you read the Owner's Manual. You definitely need that to understand your car better. And if you plan on tracking your 1LE - which I highly recommend if you want to appreciate the car more - then the High-Performance Supplement and Track Prep Checklists are also must-reads.

Essentially, your car's oil life monitor estimates how soon your oil needs to be drained and filled, along with the oil filter, but not how much oil you have left. As others mentioned, you need to use the dipstick to determine the amount of oil you have. There is an oil pressure warning light for when your engine oil level is very low, but usually, when you see that light, your engine has already been damaged.

This isn't a BMW where you can read the engine oil level with the computer, but most more knowledgeable BMW owners actually do prefer the traditional oil dipstick because it takes like 10 years for the computer to read the oil level.

The oil life monitor is based on time, mileage along with some other parameters to determine when the oil needs to be replaced. It will drop to zero after 1 year regardless. There is some debate on if you should replace the oil after one year of inactivity - generally, the oil will be fine, but for warranty purposes and such, it would be a good idea to follow the oil life monitor.

Admittedly, the oil dipstick is a bit hard to use on the SS models, but unless your engine is severely underfilled or was burning/leaking a lot of oil, then you have overfilled the oil. Now, I don't know how much damage an extra 4 quarts will do, but you should change the oil right now and fill it to the correct level, and pro tip: when you are filling the oil after it is drained, go with about 8.5~9 quarts and then slowly add as you need from there, since you are unlikely to drain all of the oil in the engine. I usually stop a quart short of the oil capacity stated in the manual and then add 1/3 of a quart at a time. That way, you don't overfill.

Make sure you check the oil level every time you get gas. It's a habit for me now since I owned a lot of oil burners, LOL.

For reference, I have an old Honda Civic Coupe I picked up for a good price, and when I bought the car, the oil level was overfilled by maybe a quart. The engine was supposed to only hold 3.3 quarts or so, and it was leaking some oil on the ground. I actually test drove like that for a bit before I caught the oil level. I did end up replacing the oil after the purchase with the correct amount, and I now have no ill effects on the engine. No oil puddles on the ground and no significant oil losses. The valvetrain actually looks super clean from what I can see under the oil cap. Then again, it's a Honda. Those D16 engines are pretty bulletproof in general.

OP, it would be a good idea to have a mechanically-inclined friend take the intake hose off the throttle body to see if any large amount of oil ended up there. Usually, it will pool up there on a very overfilled engine.

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 11:08 PM   #19
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post
pro tip: when you are filling the oil after it is drained, go with about 8.5~9 quarts and then slowly add as you need from there, since you are unlikely to drain all of the oil in the engine. I usually stop a quart short of the oil capacity stated in the manual and then add 1/3 of a quart at a time. That way, you don't overfill.
Keep in mind the "Oil Quantity" in the owners manual is a "Drain & Fill" quantity (with filter change) for the end consumer, not the total oil quantity of the engine (some oil always remains, I'm guessing the "factory fill" (dry engine) is probably around 11.0-11.5 qts)...
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
2SS Capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 01:45 AM   #20
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SS Capt View Post
Keep in mind the "Oil Quantity" in the owners manual is a "Drain & Fill" quantity (with filter change) for the end consumer, not the total oil quantity of the engine (some oil always remains, I'm guessing the "factory fill" (dry engine) is probably around 11.0-11.5 qts)...
Yep, I know that engine will have some more oil left after a drain from an oil change. The oil coolers should hold a decent amount of it.

But I find that usually, you won't drain the engine to the point that it matches the capacity stated in the manual. The last time I did an oil change, I ended up using 9.7 quarts instead of the full 10 quarts, and on my other cars, I also end up using about half a quart short. That's why I suggested taking it slow with the last quart.

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 12:27 PM   #21
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post
Yep, I know that engine will have some more oil left after a drain from an oil change. The oil coolers should hold a decent amount of it.

But I find that usually, you won't drain the engine to the point that it matches the capacity stated in the manual. The last time I did an oil change, I ended up using 9.7 quarts instead of the full 10 quarts, and on my other cars, I also end up using about half a quart short. That's why I suggested taking it slow with the last quart.
I agree, I typically fill mine with about 9.25 qts and then run it and let it sit several hours then recheck, seems to like about 9.5 qts to be just at the top of the hash marks...
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
Old 07-08-2022, 05:45 AM   #22
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
Quote:
I agree, I typically fill mine with about 9.25 qts and then run it and let it sit several hours then recheck, seems to like about 9.5 qts to be just at the top of the hash marks...
Me too. I run 25%-50% on the hash mark, unless on a road course. Then I’d go to the top of the hash mark.
Old 07-08-2022, 07:16 AM   #23
RamAir02
Shadow Gray '19 ZLE M6

Drives: '19 ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Why let it sit several hours and then recheck? I haven't heard of that before. I always fill a quart or so short, start the car, let it run a few seconds to circulate the oil, turn it off, check the level with dipstick and add more oil as necessary.
PPF | Paint Correction | ZL1 Addons Rock Guards | ZL1 Addons Lift Pads | ZL1 Addons Feather Lite Tow Hook | JWM Smoked Sidemarkers | Wildhammer Smoked Rear Reflectors | JWM License Plate LEDs | RotoFab CAI | ADM IC Reservoir v2 | BC Forged RZ05 | SPL Toe Arms | BW Brake Deflectors | CMS Roll Bar | Schroth Profi II ASM Harnesses
Sold: '99 Trans Am (bolt-ons & cam) | '00 WS6 (bolt-ons, heads, cam, 12 bolt) | '05 CTS-V (bolt-ons, short throw) | '10 SS/RS M6 (short throw, CAI, coilovers, LTs, catback, JRE tune) | '01 WS6

YouTube
RamAir02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 12:41 PM   #24
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamAir02 View Post
Why let it sit several hours and then recheck? I haven't heard of that before. I always fill a quart or so short, start the car, let it run a few seconds to circulate the oil, turn it off, check the level with dipstick and add more oil as necessary.
To give the oil time to drain back into the pan as much as possible...

Old 07-08-2022, 07:38 PM   #25
N Camarolina

Drives: 2021 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamAir02 View Post
The owner's manual states pretty clearly how long you need to wait at minimum. I know guys tend not to want to read directions, but this is one of those cases where it pays off.
N Camarolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 06:50 AM   #26
ZPirate

Drives: 2023 Summit White Camaro ZL1 M6
Quote:
To give the oil time to drain back into the pan as much as possible...
Yeah. After an oil change I usually let it sit overnight and then check it again in the morning. That way I'm sure the oil has had the chance to drain down.
2022 Rapid Blue 1SS 1LE M6 (delivered 2/19/22) (Sold)
2009 BMW 135i (Sold)
ZPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 06:40 PM   #27
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
If the engine is hot, you only need to wait a few minutes for the oil to drain back sufficiently.
Old 07-17-2022, 06:50 PM   #28
RamAir02
Shadow Gray '19 ZLE M6

Drives: '19 ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost Creep View Post
If the engine is hot, you only need to wait a few minutes for the oil to drain back sufficiently.
This was always my understanding and how I've done oil changes for years. I wasn't sure if folks were saying that letting the car sit several hours and then rechecking was specific to the LT motors.
PPF | Paint Correction | ZL1 Addons Rock Guards | ZL1 Addons Lift Pads | ZL1 Addons Feather Lite Tow Hook | JWM Smoked Sidemarkers | Wildhammer Smoked Rear Reflectors | JWM License Plate LEDs | RotoFab CAI | ADM IC Reservoir v2 | BC Forged RZ05 | SPL Toe Arms | BW Brake Deflectors | CMS Roll Bar | Schroth Profi II ASM Harnesses
Sold: '99 Trans Am (bolt-ons & cam) | '00 WS6 (bolt-ons, heads, cam, 12 bolt) | '05 CTS-V (bolt-ons, short throw) | '10 SS/RS M6 (short throw, CAI, coilovers, LTs, catback, JRE tune) | '01 WS6

YouTube
RamAir02 is offline   Reply With Quote