Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 01-27-2022, 09:57 PM   #1
Spazeack

Drives: 2023 2SS1LE
1LE package daily driver?

So those of you that ordered the 1LE package do you think it was worth it. I am getting ready to place my order and am really considering the 1LE. I just tried the Recaro seats and they were nice and comfy. I was surprised they were still full power seats! Do they come heated in the 2SS trim level? The dealer i deal with just got a 1SS in with the Recaro seats added and i was pleasantly surprised they where full power.

How is the 1LE suspension for daily driving? This will be my main car just like my 17 1SS currently is. I figured i would go for the gusto so to speak this time.

thanks,
Spazeack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 10:37 PM   #2
N Camarolina

Drives: 2021 2SS 1LE
I think you need to ask yourself what you intend to do with the 1LE (road only vs track it).

No doubt the 1LE looks more bad-a** than the standard SS, but the 1LE was meant to be used on the track. As such, the OEM tires are a bit harsh for day to day driving on rough roads with pot holes (thinner side walls due to the 20" wheels) and not particularly safe in heavy rain, nor at ambient temps <40 degrees). Plus I've read they only last around 12K miles and thus need frequent replacement. So while you can daily drive it (I do), you'll likely need to buy a second set of wheels/tires for daily use (19" or 18"), especially if you live in the north. The magnaride suspension absorbs a lot of the bumps, but can't help with traction in the cold and heavy rain.

The handling is amazing, but probably wasted if you only drive it on public roads. The track is where it really comes alive (essentially on curves and corners where you are doing 2-3x what the speed limit would be if they were public roads). Don't get me wrong; It's still fun to drive on public roads, but an SS would be just as much fun in that application.

In light of these things, I'd say it's probably not worth the extra money ($7,000) for features that you mostly can't take advantage of it you don't track it. Now if you were already willing to pay for NPP exhaust and magnaride exhaust options on a regular SS, and you don't mind getting a second set of wheels/tires for the winter, then the 1LE might be worth the extra money.
N Camarolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 10:42 PM   #3
Flyer

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS and an old Lexus SUV
Get the magnetic ride package for daily driving

For daily driving, I think the magnetic ride is an absolute MUST. So, I would advise skipping on the 1LE. However, if you really do plan to track the car more than a few times (and if you can afford replacing track tires fairly often), you'll kick yourself for skipping on the 1LE.
Old 01-28-2022, 05:41 AM   #4
Wyzz Kydd
Banned

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS1 1LE
I put close to 40,000 miles on my 2016 1SS and am getting close to 60,000 on my 2018 SS 1LE. Both are fine DDs from my perspective. I would not go back to the SS. I like the improved handling of the 1LE as well as the HUD and Recaros. I could do without the Alcantera. It sucks.
Wyzz Kydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 07:04 AM   #5
WhiteMale

Drives: 23 ZL1 A10 Rapid Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyzz Kydd View Post
I put close to 40,000 miles on my 2016 1SS and am getting close to 60,000 on my 2018 SS 1LE. Both are fine DDs from my perspective. I would not go back to the SS. I like the improved handling of the 1LE as well as the HUD and Recaros. I could do without the Alcantera. It sucks.
Totally agree.

If you need a car to drive and get back and forth and have fun with it's awesome. If you need a car to move things and people back and forth it can get to be very impractical, very very quickly.
WhiteMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 07:25 AM   #6
Spaceme1117

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS, 2011 Corvette GS
For daily driving, I would get a 2SS with magnetic ride control and skip the 1LE.

1LE for me, would be way too firm.

2SS will have cooled and heated seats and a heated steering wheel.

MRC is awesome.
Spaceme1117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 07:57 AM   #7
Hops

Drives: 2019 1ss 1le, blue wrap
I daily drive a 1LE, mostly highway, but a decent about of in town stuff with the kids. It's really not that bad.... i'm about ~10k miles a year, and have a all season set of tires.
Hops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 08:08 AM   #8
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceme1117 View Post
For daily driving, I would get a 2SS with magnetic ride control and skip the 1LE. The 16 had MRC, the 18 did not

1LE for me, would be way too firm.

2SS will have cooled and heated seats and a heated steering wheel.

MRC is awesome.
I daily drove two 2SS (16/18) 41,000 miles. I now drive a 1LE 2SS since May and put on 6,000 miles. The difference in ride firmness is indiscernible but the lateral stability is noticeably better.

The 1LE seems slower off the line than the SSes. I think its the bigger tires.

You get so much with the 1LE package that its a good choice. My two 2SSes had a MSRP just under $50k. My 2SS 1LE was $52 with CAI, Navi, Strut brace and it has the best rims, bigger tires, brakes, etc.

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 08:08 AM   #9
glopez5

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
I have an 18 ss 1le at 42k as my daily going on 4 years, and I love the feel of the suspension. But that is subjective, some people like it smooth and people like me are the opposite, I want to feel the road, I want the suspension to be tight. Handling of the goodyear supercar 3 is superb and you can't beat the recaro seats, the bolsters really keep you snug.

I sat in a 2ss and I didn't care for the leather seats.

All of this said, I live in FL and the streets around me are generally in good shape. If I lived in a area where the roads are not maintained maybe i'd feel a different way.
glopez5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 08:39 AM   #10
FlukeSS

Drives: 2020 Camaro 2SS A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer View Post
For daily driving, I think the magnetic ride is an absolute MUST. So, I would advise skipping on the 1LE. However, if you really do plan to track the car more than a few times (and if you can afford replacing track tires fairly often), you'll kick yourself for skipping on the 1LE.
You don't get the MRS without the 1LE package. Its not optional if I am not mistaken. Non 1LE Camaro SS use the same suspension as the corvettes that do not have the MRS if I remember right.
FlukeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 08:49 AM   #11
thegoat

Drives: 6th gen
MRC is a stand alone option on any SS.
Included in SS 1LE and ZL1
thegoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 08:55 AM   #12
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegoat View Post
Yes. I ordered my 16 2SS with MRC.

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 09:04 AM   #13
gpskinzhut

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegoat View Post
This. Standard 1LE/ZL1. Option on SS.

2017 ZL1 A10
2017 2SS M6: (SOLD) || 2014 2LT Convertible: (SOLD) || 2010 2LT M6 Supercharged:(SOLD) || 1987 IROC-Z 5.0 M5: (SOLD)
gpskinzhut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 09:30 AM   #14
MaxRock

Drives: 2022 Camaro
It's hard to answer that question as everyone has different ideas about ride quality and what makes a good dd.

My last DD go fast car was a 2016 GT350. Put 30k miles on it. No Recaros. Had MRC.
I love the ride in my Camaro. It's fantastic. I don't have MRC in the Camaro.

I live in an area with great roads, but it's hilly and has rush hour traffic. That's why I wanted the 10 speed auto.

I bought what I could find on the lot, but I didn't want the 1LE. I've had those tires before and I don't like them on a dd. I hate Alcantara on steering wheels.

Only have 700 miles on my Camaro, but I go though cars very fast and can tell a lot in the first couple hundred miles.
MaxRock is offline   Reply With Quote