#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Z/28 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 02-25-2017, 09:51 PM   #15
aa406079

Drives: New : 2017 SS 1LE Old: 2012 TTRS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
Trust me, it's not an ego thing - I've got no reservations about what I ordered, or why. I know other things will be faster...

It just kinda irks me that some folks will arbitrarily dismiss that this A10 is properly fast. In the same sort of way that it bothers me how some folks pretend the M6 is a fossil.
Totally agreed.

I made my statement because everyone seemed to kick the M6 to the curb because the new A10 is AMAZING....

Yes amazing for an auto... amazing in its performance...

Does it make an M6 obsolete in the hands of a dialed in driver?

Not at all.

On a more technical track the A10 would definitely have the advantage... always in power band now matter what and one less thing to make a mistake with.

A track like Nurburgring is huge and requires alot of focus... whereas a shorter simpler track is easier for a driver to get into a groove and not be as prone to an error...

Last edited by aa406079; 02-26-2017 at 06:42 AM.
aa406079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 11:56 PM   #16
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Just an interested spectator.

Could it be the the ZL1 1LE is the rumored CA6 Z/28? With the slow Camaro sales could this be all Chevy could do and still make $$? Just wondering. I know there is another NA V8 floating around, but maybe the Camaro no longer makes sense to GM to steal Cadillac and Stingray sales. Flame me if you must.
Old 02-26-2017, 06:44 AM   #17
aa406079

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
Just an interested spectator.

Could it be the the ZL1 1LE is the rumored CA6 Z/28? With the slow Camaro sales could this be all Chevy could do and still make $$? Just wondering. I know there is another NA V8 floating around, but maybe the Camaro no longer makes sense to GM to steal Cadillac and Stingray sales. Flame me if you must.
The Z28 has always been naturally aspirated... The official word from Chevy.
Old 02-26-2017, 08:33 AM   #18
Bosse'sBoss

Drives: '16 Camaro SS 6 spd manual transm.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
Trust me, it's not an ego thing - I've got no reservations about what I ordered, or why. I know other things will be faster...

It just kinda irks me that some folks will arbitrarily dismiss that this A10 is properly fast. In the same sort of way that it bothers me how some folks pretend the M6 is a fossil.
It should not be that way. Both transmissions are perfect for the excellent track performer 2017 Camaro ZL1. Great job GM.
'14 Camaro ZL1 w/. Recaro seats
'11 Mustang GT 5.0 w. track package
'02 Porsche 911 Carrera
'05 Infiniti G35 coupe sport
Bosse'sBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 09:25 AM   #19
mariojmoe
Account Suspended

Drives: C7 Z06 manual, 18 Zl1 manual, etc
Imho Gm did it right by offering this car manual only. This is aimed to be a 'fun' car, nuff said.
mariojmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 01:25 PM   #20
Fraxum

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa406079 View Post
The Z28 has always been naturally aspirated... The official word from Chevy.
So was the Corvette Z06 until the C7, correct? And did you know the original name for the 5th gen ZL1 was Z28? It is even stamped into some ZL1 parts. So there are no rules here.

I think with the general slow down of Camaro sales and modern pony cars in general does it make $$ sense to invest millions into a specialty car like the Z/28? Chevy already has a halo car, the Corvette and apparently are spending big bucks to develop a Corvette hyper car.

The last Z/28 was a commercial dud but was a successful track car. However it is the only somewhat collectible 5th gen. I think Chevy got as much good press out of the 1LE as the Z/28.

I am not saying it wouldn't be cool for Chevy to build a direct GT350 competitor. But it sure isn't going to make Chevy any $$ on it from my limited view.

The only ray of hope is the rumored LT5-V2. If I were them I would just bolt it into the existing 1LE for $55K to build the new Z/28 and then offer a $10k Carbon fiber wheel option and call it a day. How many of you would line up for that Z/28?

I will take one, hold the carbon.
Old 02-26-2017, 03:10 PM   #21
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
I still say there will be a Z/28 in the 5th modal year of the 6th gen, and it will have a V8 NA, here is how i see it, cafe standards are going to be relaxed soon, with that GM will get the motor they wanted to run, it will then meet the new cafe standards, This is not meant as politics, only what i hope will happen so we can see the best NA motor get into the new Z/28.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 06:38 PM   #22
Fraxum

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRS@Gen5diy View Post
I still say there will be a Z/28 in the 5th modal year of the 6th gen, and it will have a V8 NA, here is how i see it, cafe standards are going to be relaxed soon, with that GM will get the motor they wanted to run, it will then meet the new cafe standards, This is not meant as politics, only what i hope will happen so we can see the best NA motor get into the new Z/28.
Not political at all just reality. It is entirely possible that CAFE standards will all be rescinded by then. The current plan is to gut the EPA and use the extra money for defense. Of course also by then other events may interfere with those plans.
Old 02-26-2017, 06:46 PM   #23
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
I seriously doubt CAFE had anything to do with this one due to "limited production"

There has never been a 1LE Auto as it's a road track package. Just like there has never been a force inducted Z/28.
GM is just keeping true to heritage.

The Auto will be the Camaro drag strip king and the 1LE will rule the road track.
Old 02-26-2017, 07:25 PM   #24
396ssrat

Drives: 66 Chevelle SS
Depends on whether or not the automatic has sufficient cooling.
396ssrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 07:38 PM   #25
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Fuel economy certainly has nothing to do with the manual-only choice. Not sure where that theory originated...they've put in a unique top gear ratio...and if I was a betting man, it's going to either be 1 : 0.65, or 1 : 0.63...

Either of those options will allow the car to reach it's top speed in 6th, unlike the standard car. But it'll also force about 300 more revs at 60mph.
Old 02-27-2017, 12:50 AM   #26
aa406079

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
So was the Corvette Z06 until the C7, correct? And did you know the original name for the 5th gen ZL1 was Z28? It is even stamped into some ZL1 parts. So there are no rules here.

I think with the general slow down of Camaro sales and modern pony cars in general does it make $$ sense to invest millions into a specialty car like the Z/28? Chevy already has a halo car, the Corvette and apparently are spending big bucks to develop a Corvette hyper car.

The last Z/28 was a commercial dud but was a successful track car. However it is the only somewhat collectible 5th gen. I think Chevy got as much good press out of the 1LE as the Z/28.

I am not saying it wouldn't be cool for Chevy to build a direct GT350 competitor. But it sure isn't going to make Chevy any $$ on it from my limited view.

The only ray of hope is the rumored LT5-V2. If I were them I would just bolt it into the existing 1LE for $55K to build the new Z/28 and then offer a $10k Carbon fiber wheel option and call it a day. How many of you would line up for that Z/28?

I will take one, hold the carbon.
http://www.motortrend.com/news/2018-...z28-successor/

Second last paragraph.... doesnt get any more definitive than that...
Old 02-27-2017, 06:14 AM   #27
Fraxum

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa406079 View Post
http://www.motortrend.com/news/2018-...z28-successor/

Second last paragraph.... doesnt get any more definitive than that...
I did not see that. LOL So "Chevy" says one thing. Al says something else. And in the past it was okay for the Z28 to be FI. So definitive as it gets for this moment in time, agreed.

But if we take those statements at face value we can be sure this section will be getting very stale for a long time. Sorry boy and girls.

I guess the marketing question is how many track capable cars does Chevy need especailly considering dwindling Camaro sales? Currently there are 5 CA 6 Camaros that can more than hold thier own on a track with the last 2 just needing tires, brake ducts, and good brake fluid. And I think a NA Z/28 would have trouble getting to #1 on this list looking at lap times. But fun doesn't always go with lap times. Just look at the Miata.
  1. ZL1 1LE
  2. ZL1
  3. SS 1LE
  4. SS
  5. V6 1LE
Old 02-27-2017, 10:06 PM   #28
Bosse'sBoss

Drives: '16 Camaro SS 6 spd manual transm.
Unhappy

After reading C&D article, I noticed that the ZL1s 10 speed automatic transmission is great by itself but not dependable on paddle down shifting apparently the problem is because it has too many speeds (10) , it does not follow a pattern sometimes missing the right shift, taking to long or just not doing it at all. Why not just copying a dual clutch PDK transmission ?
'14 Camaro ZL1 w/. Recaro seats
'11 Mustang GT 5.0 w. track package
'02 Porsche 911 Carrera
'05 Infiniti G35 coupe sport
Bosse'sBoss is offline   Reply With Quote