BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

View Poll Results: Z/28 pricing?
Cheaper than the ZL1 45 27.44%
More expensive than the ZL1 119 72.56%
Voters: 164. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-28-2016, 03:29 PM   #15
rcandiloro

Drives: 2018 ZLE
We are starting to get to the point where the lines are being blurred a bit between the different versions. You have the SS, which is a great performer in its own right, more than what 90% of the average drivers can use on the street. Then the 1LE, which is your SS track car (even a V6 version, which sounds like it will perform like an SS?). Now the ZL1, which is your ultra high performance GT street car that can do everything. Finally, the Z/28, which seems like it will be a laser focused track vehicle. Heck, it seems just like the 5th gen all over again.....though my gut tells me the ZL1 this generation will be a bit closer in track performance to the Z/28? I strongly believe the Z/28 will again be the most expensive by a fair margin. I think it's great that GM is giving the consumer so many options. For me it will likely be the ZL1 because I daily drive it and love the look (though those 1LE wheels are the snizzle!!!!) I'm counting the days until these ultra high performance variants are in showrooms. Someone mentioned the new GT500.....to me that is the wild card that nobody knows anything about yet. My guess is well over 700hp. This is truly an unbelievable time to be into performance cars, and especially American performance cars. For the price there is simply no foreign manufacturer that comes close.
rcandiloro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 04:02 PM   #16
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
It's going to be interesting to see how GM prices the Z/28. They can't price it too high because it won't make sense against the ZL1. With the likely power disparity between the two, I would be surprised if the ZL1 doesn't match or beat the Z/28 on a lot of tracks.
Old 03-29-2016, 08:01 AM   #17
Jeffro19

Drives: 2018 ZL1 6M, Silverado High Country
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
It's going to be interesting to see how GM prices the Z/28. They can't price it too high because it won't make sense against the ZL1. With the likely power disparity between the two, I would be surprised if the ZL1 doesn't match or beat the Z/28 on a lot of tracks.
I just can't see it being priced higher than the ZL1. I'm thinking in the mid to high $50k range. Just a guess.

Current Vehicles - 2018 ZL1 Red Hot 6 spd manual, Carbon Hood, Sunroof
2019 Silverado High Country, Daily Driver
Jeffro19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 08:49 AM   #18
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
That is exactly where my mind is going with this Z/28. With the ZL1 having 640HP and all those other go fast goodies in it I don;t think the Z/28 will be faster around the track this gen...so where does it fit exactly
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 08:54 AM   #19
Eric SS
#becauseracecar

Drives: 2016 SS Sedan, 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
That is exactly where my mind is going with this Z/28. With the ZL1 having 640HP and all those other go fast goodies in it I don;t think the Z/28 will be faster around the track this gen...so where does it fit exactly
While we don't know the specs, it's possible that it would be faster around an Auto-x SOLO or 1 minute track but slower around something like a 2 minute track so it could depend on what the person is using it for. But then it wouldn't need all that aero that it appears to have so who knows.

Maybe they didn't make the 2SS 1LE because that's going to be where the Z/28 slots in. That makes the most sense to me.
Eric SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 09:32 AM   #20
GearheadSS

Drives: 23 LT1/22 Colorado TB/69 Chevelle
I think it's going to be cheaper. My guess is that's going to be stripped out ZL1. LT4, no insulation, no frills.
GearheadSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 09:36 AM   #21
DrkPhx

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 / 2006 TB SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearheadSS View Post
I think it's going to be cheaper. My guess is that's going to be stripped out ZL1. LT4, no insulation, no frills.
It costs money to decontent a car. If I remember correctly, that's one reason the 5th Gen Z/28 was more expensive because they had to get it re-certified.
DrkPhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 09:39 AM   #22
Eric SS
#becauseracecar

Drives: 2016 SS Sedan, 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrkPhx View Post
It costs money to decontent a car. If I remember correctly, that's one reason the 5th Gen Z/28 was more expensive because they had to get it re-certified.
Porsche's good ole addition by subtraction formula You want a 911 with nothing? That will be $50k more.
Eric SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 09:47 AM   #23
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Ridiculous....but true.
Old 03-29-2016, 10:37 AM   #24
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric SS View Post
While we don't know the specs, it's possible that it would be faster around an Auto-x SOLO or 1 minute track but slower around something like a 2 minute track so it could depend on what the person is using it for. But then it wouldn't need all that aero that it appears to have so who knows.

Maybe they didn't make the 2SS 1LE because that's going to be where the Z/28 slots in. That makes the most sense to me.
Thats what I am saying lol. If its not say faster around Laguna or VIR than the 6th gen ZL1 does it slot below it?

I think this gen the ZL1 might be the king camaro, thats not a knock on the Z/28, just guessing that the ZL1 is at the top of the food chain this gen

SS<1LE<Z/28<ZL1
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 12:57 PM   #25
GearheadSS

Drives: 23 LT1/22 Colorado TB/69 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrkPhx View Post
Only because they offered it without A/C. Lets hope they don't make the same mistake again.

It was that, the brakes and the fact that the LS7 is an expensive engine to produce that really drove the price of the Z/28 up.

I'm ok with them offering one that is bare bones but leave ripping the a/c out to the racer that buys the car.
GearheadSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 01:54 PM   #26
IOMZL1

Drives: 2015 Z/28 | 2017 Viper ACR Extreme
The new Z/28 won't need the same power / weight ratio as the ZL1 to beat it on track, the last one didn't. What it did have is lower weight, lower CofG, better balance, more aggressive tires, aero, brakes, and suspension. (note, all tracks are different and will cater differently to every car)

The weight needs to be cut from the SS a bit (or a bit more) depending on the final power number. 500-550 HP from a V8, or less from a lighter weight engine package.

And you have to assume the Z/28 will have all of the coolers required for extended track duty. While the LT4 powered ZL1 may be good on track, there is no denying the balance and potential heat soak issues that make it less-than-ideal for extended track duty and lap consistency.

The big question for me is engine package, I think all else will be the same or more extreme than the previous Z/28 and definitely another step toward track ready than the ZL1. This makes the cost similar or above the ZL1 depending on the details. Costs could be saved from the previous gen depending on the dampers and engine. Tires will be more, brakes will be more, suspension... depends on MRC or Multimatic, etc... engine??? weight savings using carbon etc. ???

If I'm GM, and the Z/28 needs to "earn" its way in, there's something special that needs to happen with an engine OR weight reduction. If there was any gripe with the last Z/28 it was said that it was slightly under-powered, the rest of the car was very solid. Take that and run with it on the Alpha.

dougshelbyengineering.com

www.facebook.com/dougshelbyengineering

www.instagram.com/dougshelbyengineering
IOMZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 03:08 PM   #27
detltu

Drives: 1992 Z28 1LE; 2015 Zl1
This is an interesting question. My thoughts:
1. I don't think they can get significantly more performance out of a LT1 powered Camaro than the 1LE. Without a power bump for the Z/28, the 1LE will be too close to really justify spending the money and would likely have trouble beating the ZL1.
2. The Zl1 and LT4 could certainly be even more track focused (a 1LE for the ZL1). I don't think the Z/28 will be relegated to an option package though and still have my doubts that it will be supercharged.
3. There is a 200hp difference between the SS and Zl1. There is a lot of room in the middle for a new engine. Unfortunately history says that any engine that shows up in a Camaro will likely be in a Corvette first (except the original Z/28). Currently there are no Corvette engines besides the LT1 and LT4. The grand sport was a perfect opportunity to introduce a new engine and we got nothing.
4. If a ZR1 comes out (and I think it will) it will likely get an LT5 and be slotted above the Z06/LT4 and thus will be supercharged (or turbocharged). This could be an option on the Z/28, but it goes against my theory of a NA engine.
5. In the previous Corvette/Camaro iteration, we got a detuned version of the ZR1 engine in the ZL1. Could they switch things up and give us an LTA in the Z/28? Maybe a naturally aspirated version of the supercharged LT5?
6. Perhaps they will introduce a new 500-550 hp engine in the Camaro for the Z/28 a la the GT350. 50th anniversary would be a great opportunity if they are ever going to do it. If they do they would most certainly need to follow the mustangs lead and provide a Z/28 that has normal amenities and can be the volume seller and a Z/28 R that is the hardcore track toy. This would help spread out costs and could provide the Corvette an upgraded engine for a future model or an upgraded base engine for 2018 models.
1991 Camaro Z28 1LE-
1992 Camaro Z28 1LE- 25th anniversary
2015 Camaro ZL1
detltu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 04:20 PM   #28
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
I would say that GM will follow the same recipe as the 5Gen for the Z/28 just as they have for the ZL1. It will be more expensive than the ZL1. My guess $69,900. It will most likely move up a notch design-track-wise from the 5Gen Z/28 (something like the Viper ACR).

Last edited by 2cnd chance; 03-29-2016 at 07:06 PM.
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote