#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Z/28 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 03-02-2017, 05:27 PM   #57
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by FNxR3DNECK View Post
I disagree, yes of course the DSSVs are pricey but I think the LT5 shouldn't be much more expensive than the LT4, and it will have less Hp/Tq so shouldn't need the beefier drivetrain components that the ZL1 has.

And if the Z/28 were based on a 1SS 1LE with just DSSV and LT5 difference lets say add $8-10k for the LT5 and $3-5k for the DSSV that's only $11k more on the low end and $15k more on the high end so it could still come in around $60k.

Of course I'm being optimistic but you can't tell me that's impossible!
I wouldn't assume for a second that the LT5 will be the same cost as the LT4. If the LT5 is a DOHC is will far more expensive. Also for OEM reliability, you can bet some components will get upgraded. Just because guys are modding LT1 to much higher power levels without upgrades doesn't mean it will pass GM tests at those same power levels. They've got to have a comfort margin for track warranty. Not sure how much DSSV is over MRC, so maybe your numbers are good on that front. If those are the only differences, it's possible to be in the high $50s-$60K range. But I doubt that they will stop with those upgrades. More ZL1 1LE parts would likely be shared raising the cost.

IDK I'm starting to think the logic that there will be no Z/28 now is maybe right. We will see as always.

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 06:24 PM   #58
FNxR3DNECK

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSound View Post
I wouldn't assume for a second that the LT5 will be the same cost as the LT4. If the LT5 is a DOHC is will far more expensive. Also for OEM reliability, you can bet some components will get upgraded. Just because guys are modding LT1 to much higher power levels without upgrades doesn't mean it will pass GM tests at those same power levels. They've got to have a comfort margin for track warranty. Not sure how much DSSV is over MRC, so maybe your numbers are good on that front. If those are the only differences, it's possible to be in the high $50s-$60K range. But I doubt that they will stop with those upgrades. More ZL1 1LE parts would likely be shared raising the cost.

IDK I'm starting to think the logic that there will be no Z/28 now is maybe right. We will see as always.
All good points, my thought process is even if the LT5 is a $20k motor (stand alone/and that would put it up there with the most expensive one they offer, the over $20k LS9) compared to the $11k LT1 and $14k LT4 I think it could be doable at around the same price as the ZL1.

And unfortunately I'm beginning to agree with your last statement that we may not see a Z/28 this time around, or we might see it in a few years after a refresh.
Old 03-02-2017, 09:14 PM   #59
396ssrat

Drives: 66 Chevelle SS
An N/A engine negates the higher cost of the Supercharger however the cylinder heads will likely make the actual cost a wash. It's like an old carburetor, the 850 always cost's more than a 750 because it's what you want. In reality it has less metal. The LT5 is just new thus it will be more expensive.
396ssrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 08:04 AM   #60
oakaro68

Drives: 2015 Camaro Z/28
The ZL1 holds the spot for a big power Camaro. Z/28 is geared more towards n/a, balance, and endurance. It wouldn't make sense for a Z/28 to have 700hp if the ZL1 has 650. I absolutely hope a Z/28 is in the works with a wicked n/a motor...if so, it would have to be pretty impressive to outshine a ZL1 1LE which is going to be stupid fast around a track...

I can't believe how far the Camaro has come... my first car was a 68' Camaro my dad and I restored. I put a bigger sway bar on it and thought IT handled good...then I bought a 2011 Camaro SS and thought it handled like it was on rails...now I've got my current Z/28 (the thought of that 427 always brings a smile to my face) and it handles insanely good. To drive it to it's limits on the street is downright unsafe. Now they're coming on with the ZL1 1LE?! Keep em coming GM!
oakaro68 is offline   Reply With Quote