Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

AWE Tuning

Old 07-30-2019, 10:51 AM   #2787
whiteboyblues2001

Drives: 1SS, A8, MRC, NPP, Blade Spoiler
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
I have said many times Corvette is my dream car so I might be biased lol. I think that was going to happen no matter what the GT500 did. The GT500 could have had 800+ HP and started at 65 and I still think the C8 would steal the spotlight. The mid engine corvette has been a rumor for what like 30 years and it finally happened. And as it got closer and closer alot of people thought it meant the base car was going into super car price territory and going to start with a 6 figure price tag and BOOM

here it is starting under 60K, the Z51 can hit 60 under 3 seconds and oh yeah its absolutely stunning to look at. I honestly think even if it started at 75 it would have still stole the thunder this has just been one of those things that had been talked about for so long and it's finally here.
I think one of the biggest problems (and also blessings) Ford has is how rabid their fan base is. That is a double edged sword. Yes, you have loyal fans, but they tend to overhype whatever Ford does, so it makes the Ford development team a bit jaded. Adding to that, the Ford faithful pays HUGE ADM's on their cars, just begging Ford to up the price of the next model. Why? Well, when Ford sees most of the GT350's going for 10k over MSRP, Ford figures they should have priced that car 10k more. They want that profit, rather than letting the dealer take it. So, the GT500 is over priced. Also, the Mustang outselling the Camaro taught Ford that performance isn't the end-all-be-all. So, now you have another GT500 with more HP. Big deal, where is the wow factor?

This new GT500 is nice and all, but it just doesn't have any thing revoultionary about it. The Demon had more HP, drag radials, separate ECU for race fuel, trans brake, A/C cooling the intercooler, etc. That was revolutionary. The GT350 had the largest FPC engine made at an affordable price (compared to other FPC engine cars). That was revolutionary.

The C8 going mid-engine tops all that. Total revolution rather than evolution. That is definately going to cause hype, but you have to back it up. And boy, did Chevy ever back it up. It is more beautiful than folks thought, it's 0-60 times dropped jaws, and the price knocked it out of the park for a walk-off grand slam home run. Drop the bat, and jog the bases Chevy!!
whiteboyblues2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 11:08 AM   #2788
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
I have said many times Corvette is my dream car so I might be biased lol. I think that was going to happen no matter what the GT500 did. The GT500 could have had 800+ HP and started at 65 and I still think the C8 would steal the spotlight. The mid engine corvette has been a rumor for what like 30 years and it finally happened. And as it got closer and closer alot of people thought it meant the base car was going into super car price territory and going to start with a 6 figure price tag and BOOM

here it is starting under 60K, the Z51 can hit 60 under 3 seconds and oh yeah its absolutely stunning to look at. I honestly think even if it started at 75 it would have still stole the thunder this has just been one of those things that had been talked about for so long and it's finally here.
This is why it is so disappointing that the GT500 came in at least two years late. Think of what the landscape would have been if it had come in on time:
  • 2016: GT350
  • 2017: ZL1
  • 2018: GT500
  • 2019: ZR1
  • 2020: C8

Every car would have gotten at least a year of its moment in the sun. As it turned out, GT500 had to follow ZR1 (tough act to follow) and get its blanket snatched by C8.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 11:15 AM   #2789
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyblues2001 View Post
If you're into the 1/4 mile, it looks like the 1320 is the car to get in the pony car segment. Pretty awesome stuff in it that trickeled down from the Demon. The 1320 drubbed the GT* in this head to head, same driver, same track, same day. Plus, it's just a more practical car.
I dunno....I have a hard time considering a car with one seat practical. If you’re into 1/4 mile, like to drive everywhere alone, and don’t mind street driving on drag radials, here’s yer car. But as an all around the PP1 is the better choice of the two. Now, toss in a Charger ScatPack and you have the best mix of hot and practical.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Old 07-30-2019, 11:17 AM   #2790
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
If you're into the 1/4 mile, it looks like the 1320 is the car to get in the pony car segment. Pretty awesome stuff in it that trickeled down from the Demon. The 1320 drubbed the GT* in this head to head, same driver, same track, same day. Plus, it's just a more practical car.
Yeah that was a hell of a showing by the 1320. I wonder why Cars.com has never tested the Camaro like this.

Quote:
Adding to that, the Ford faithful pays HUGE ADM's on their cars, just begging Ford to up the price of the next model. Why? Well, when Ford sees most of the GT350's going for 10k over MSRP, Ford figures they should have priced that car 10k more. They want that profit, rather than letting the dealer take it. So, the GT500 is over priced. Also, the Mustang outselling the Camaro taught Ford that performance isn't the end-all-be-all. So, now you have another GT500 with more HP. Big deal, where is the wow factor?
I personally don't think the ADM has anything to do with where the car is priced. Using that logic of people are willing to pay 10K more we should price it 10k more than the big 3 should price their trucks 10-15k less because that's about how much off most people get on a full size truck. you might be right, but I personally don't think the price of the GT500 has anything to do with the ADM's on the GT350.

Quote:
This new GT500 is nice and all, but it just doesn't have any thing revoultionary about it. The Demon had more HP, drag radials, separate ECU for race fuel, trans brake, A/C cooling the intercooler, etc. That was revolutionary. The GT350 had the largest FPC engine made at an affordable price (compared to other FPC engine cars). That was revolutionary.
I agree, it didn't offer anything to revolutionary except for the being the first pony car to offer a DCT transmission, and the most powerful Ford ever.

Quote:
The C8 going mid-engine tops all that. Total revolution rather than evolution. That is definately going to cause hype, but you have to back it up. And boy, did Chevy ever back it up. It is more beautiful than folks thought, it's 0-60 times dropped jaws, and the price knocked it out of the park for a walk-off grand slam home run. Drop the bat, and jog the bases Chevy!!
Agreed 100% They absolutely nailed the C8
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 11:18 AM   #2791
shaffe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
I dunno....I have a hard time considering a car with one seat practical. If you’re into 1/4 mile, like to drive everywhere alone, and don’t mind street driving on drag radials, here’s yer car. But as an all around the PP1 is the better choice of the two. Now, toss in a Charger ScatPack and you have the best mix of hot and practical.
This man speaks the truth ^
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
Old 07-30-2019, 12:26 PM   #2792
rocket403

Drives: 80 Cutlass 403, 2010 FF RT
The 1320 can be optioned with one seat or seating for 5, so take your pick.

The 1320 can be optioned with the same seating configuration that the Demon had.
rocket403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 12:28 PM   #2793
NW-99SS

Drives: 1999 Camaro SS M6 - SBE LS1
All great points on this page...nothing to argue, just chiming in to say that I agree with everyone's thoughts above me.
2017 Yukon Denali 6.2
NW-99SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 12:34 PM   #2794
shaffe

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-99SS View Post
All great points on this page...nothing to argue, just chiming in to say that I agree with everyone's thoughts above me.
That's not allowed here! LOL

Seriously though, it has been very civil around here lately
Old 07-30-2019, 01:47 PM   #2795
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket403 View Post
The 1320 can be optioned with one seat or seating for 5, so take your pick.

The 1320 can be optioned with the same seating configuration that the Demon had.
That’s something I wasn’t aware of. I thought it was seating for 2 with option to delete the passenger seat. It would be interesting to see how the 1320 with seating for 5 performs same day/track/driver with GT*.

Old 07-30-2019, 02:06 PM   #2796
NW-99SS

Drives: 1999 Camaro SS M6 - SBE LS1
Quote:

Truthfully, it's probably mostly due to the quality posters ignoring those who post garbage or purely fanboy type comments.
2017 Yukon Denali 6.2
NW-99SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 02:57 PM   #2797
whiteboyblues2001

Drives: 1SS, A8, MRC, NPP, Blade Spoiler
Quote:
Yeah that was a hell of a showing by the 1320. I wonder why Cars.com has never tested the Camaro like this.
Because, if they did, they would probably get a better number for the Camaro, just like they did for all the other cars they tested, and then the Mustang trolls wouldn't have anything to troll about...

Quote:
I personally don't think the ADM has anything to do with where the car is priced. Using that logic of people are willing to pay 10K more we should price it 10k more than the big 3 should price their trucks 10-15k less because that's about how much off most people get on a full size truck. you might be right, but I personally don't think the price of the GT500 has anything to do with the ADM's on the GT350.
Apples and oranges...

Pricing a car over what you expect it to sell for is smart for car companies, because they can roll in the profits initially, but when sales start to peter off, they can offer incentives and discounts to attract more buyers and still make profits on the cars being sold. It has been proven over and over, people like for stuff to be on sale. If you price something for what you think people will pay for it, it will sell less than if you price it for more, and offer a discount to the price you were going to price it at anyway.

Pricing a car $10k-$20k lower than what most end up selling for is leaving a ton of profit on the table, and no business will stand for that. Even if it averages to $10k ADMs, that's $10,000,000.00 for every 1000 cars sold. I think they have made somewhere in the neighborhood of 20,000 GT350s now. That's 200 million dollars. Who would walk away from that?
whiteboyblues2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 05:50 PM   #2798
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
When the ADMs started to get ridiculous, the Dodge and Ford guys started complaining to the manufacturers asking them to step in and do something. Well the manufacturer cannot do anything about it...except raise the price soo high that nobody will think to charge a markup...or that nobody would pay the markup if they do charge it. Because we all know that if the GT500 MSRP was let's say $67K, people would easily be paying $10K over at minimum. On top of that, yea Ford probably feels that they should be in on the action too. Remember, ADM tells us what the market says the car is worth or what the car should cost. So if the market says $10K more, then the manufacturer would be stupid to not raise the price.
Quote:

It's probably because there really isn't anything to debate anymore. I think everyone was waiting for the GT500 numbers. The HP and TQ delivered. The weight is still unknown but will probably be disappointing. The MSRP was disappointing. Now with the C8...there really isn't anything to discuss anymore.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 09:44 PM   #2799
Idaho2018GTPremium

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-99SS View Post

Truthfully, it's probably mostly due to the quality posters ignoring those who post garbage or purely fanboy type comments.
Nah, it's because we all agree the C8 trounced the GT500 and everything else in its path. What else is there to disagree with now?

Past:
2018 Mustang GT Premium w/ PP1, MR, and A10
2007 MazdaSpeed3
1995 Pontiac Trans Am
1987 Camaro Z28

Idaho2018GTPremium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 09:55 PM   #2800
Idaho2018GTPremium

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Yeah, 1 seat is pretty practical ...1320 is a drag special car (Demon trickle down tech.) vs. an all around performance car.

To top if off, the GT* still trapped more than 2 mph faster than the 1320 (with one seat). The trans brake no doubt helps the 1320. I'm curious what the 60' times were. Considering the GT was closing the gap at the end, that makes me think the 1320's 60' time was the main differential here, aided by the trans brake.

Past:
2018 Mustang GT Premium w/ PP1, MR, and A10
2007 MazdaSpeed3
1995 Pontiac Trans Am
1987 Camaro Z28

Idaho2018GTPremium is offline   Reply With Quote