Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 02-23-2021, 12:49 PM   #29
MR's 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS Vert/M6/F250 SD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrol Head View Post
Totally agree with this.

In some countries getting your license takes much, much longer than 2 weeks at a local driving school.

I would even say safety and evasive and defensive driving classes on a real track should be mandatory, so people learn how to react to wet and snowy roads, with front, rear, and all wheel drive vehicles.
Here in NJ we have some of the worst drivers in the country. The only thing exceeding their arrogance is their incompetence.
If you try to mind your own business and drive through them... They move over in front of you to screw with you... Then when you get around they race you to 90.. so they can give you the finger for passing them...
If you look too competent driving they get indignant because you have victimized them.
I go to work in the worst of weather so I have a big 4X4 and I spend a lot of money on tires and lights so I can drive safely in a blizzard or hurricane at 3am. I am perfectly within the performance envelope of my skills and vehicle at a much higher speed than these people.
Im sorry but you do not need to slam on your brakes going down hill in the snow... Im sorry but you dont need to go 5 MPH with your 4 ways on until you come to a hill and have no momentum to get up...bald tires... wipers on high... and for some reason cant figure out how your defrosters work... so when I go around at 40... you really dont need to blow your horn... give me the finger... and high beam me for being crazy...
Lots of bad drivers... this video shows jack asses proving play stupid games... get stupid prizes.
Old 02-23-2021, 01:08 PM   #30
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaimer View Post
I could see that happening. Then add in the intelligence standing around...driver probably didn't have much of a choice (rear end the car or guaranteed hit to people)

I don't think it is a 1LE though? It seem like an SS or a 2SS to me, with a few mods. The rims and hood don't make any sense for it being a 1LE.
Looks like an SS with ZL1 front fascia and a wing.

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 01:16 PM   #31
Paintslinger16
Two Lane Blacktop

Drives: '18 Camaro 2SS
While I think it’s a sad tragedy I would be hypocritical to say me or at least half the members have never street raced. It’s definitely different, the right off the show room street cars are gobs faster and all the people that mod cars and drive them on the street with legit race 8 second Cars are numerous.

A fast car back in the day was more like low 12 seconds with Guys in the 10 or 11 having to be rolling on slicks at 2 am and would take a 1/4 mile to be going 100.

The crowds that gather via social media are huge, we might have got 20 people in the know, out on the deserted back roads of my rural area.
But with the videos that wink wink are in Mexico contributed and now hundreds on the sideline everyone has a hand in this but only that driver will probably get charged.
Paintslinger16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 01:18 PM   #32
laynlo15

Drives: 2022 Lt1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerFran View Post
"these days"?!?! It has and always will be stupid.
What I meant was where they race now. When I grew up back in the 60s and 70s we'd go out and find dark county roads and maybe 20 people would show up to watch. Now they race 4 or 5 wide and on city streets or interstates and hundreds show up to watch. Technology lets that happen. Remember we had land lines and no other way to reach people. These days ain't the same.
2022 Lt1 6.2 A10, Maggie 2300, THPSI Port Inj/10 rib, Rotofab, E, Nickey, SCOL, Griptech, RC Bandits, Hoosiers/MT 9.80@142.96 1.44 60ft, 6.34@112 707/669 RWHP/TRQ. 16SS Maggie 2650 9.41@147 1.35 60ft, 5.99@119. 16 C7 A8 10.90@128 Bolt on stuff
laynlo15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 01:27 PM   #33
Vaska

Drives: On Hiatus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron07 View Post
From what I read it was underground car meet and the kid was showing off by doing a “fly by.”
I don't know, it looked like it was above ground, pretty much on street level.
Vaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 01:33 PM   #34
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Drives: Fast if no one's looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaska View Post
I don't know, it looked like it was above ground, pretty much on street level.
Name:  ba-dum-tss.png
Views: 471
Size:  4.2 KB
Petrol Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 02:18 PM   #35
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
Quote:
Totally agree with this.

In some countries getting your license takes much, much longer than 2 weeks at a local driving school.

I would even say safety and evasive and defensive driving classes on a real track should be mandatory, so people learn how to react to wet and snowy roads, with front, rear, and all wheel drive vehicles.
No no no no, we do not need more government regulations. How about just better parents! I say we start with the parents before you start shoving more regulations on me.
FarmerFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 02:23 PM   #36
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
I'm not sure it was really "parked" there, I think the Camaro was going so fast that the other car looked like it was parked because it was going so much slower.
I watched the video again, it was practically parked, going no more than 5-10 mph. Very, very sad video on all counts.

Better driver education would be a more than welcome change, but tiered licenses are not really feasible with too many edge cases and ways to game the system. I definitely don't want more government interference, that's for sure, but tightening the road test would be something I could live with.

I learned to drive in the winter on a stick Ford Fiesta, and basic practice course skills (hill start with no electronic assist, backing into narrow parking spaces at 45° and 90° angles, parallel parking, driving in reverse at 15+ mph and many more I can't remember), as well as a minimum number of hours driving at night and under adverse conditions (heavy rain/snow/sleet) were all mandatory. The road test took 45-50 minutes and practically no mistakes were tolerated, the only "minor strikes" allowed were things no one but the examiner would even notice.

(And with all that, I'm still only a mediocre driver. The sad thing, though, is that I'm probably better than the vast majority I encounter here in NJ, and it should not be this way.)

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 02:29 PM   #37
Rhobz

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
I rarely talk smack about people racing or driving fast on the streets. Most of us, me included, do it and all it takes is a split second of something happening to cause catastrophic consequences.

The one argument I will always make is don't punish the group for the actions of one. Someone speeds down a road a crashes and kills someone else. Is the answer to reduce the speed limit on that road? Not necessarily. Let's start with throwing the book at the driver.

As a motorcycle rider, I hear stories all the time that basically go "I was doing 75 down a residential street and this bitch pulled out right in front of me." Yeah, you know what...you're fault not hers, stupid! She couldn't tell how fast you were approaching.

Even at 43 years old, I go to "underground" car meets a few times a month. I enjoy them. Are there people there doing stupid stuff? Yup. Do I understand that something may happen to me as a result of that stupid stuff? Yup. Do I do stupid stuff? Sometimes.

I know what my Camaro feels like above 100mph. I have never had it on a track. Therefore, I do not get to talk shit about people speeding. However, I have never done a burnout within a few feet of unprotected onlookers so I do get to talk shit about those that do and end up losing control.

Just look inwards before talking shit and punish those that cause problems, not the rest of us.
Rhobz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 02:31 PM   #38
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumbleboy92 View Post
There's dumb and then just plain ignorant. This is beyond making a Mustang driver joke, this is just plain retardation. I'm a fan of being "stupid' on occasion and having a little fun showing off your Camaro can be fun, but there's a time and a place and doing 100mph+ through a tunnel of people with other cars pulling out of the parking lot periodically makes eating Tide pods with a Drano chaser look genius.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 03:06 PM   #39
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Another dumbass street racing and look what it got him. Oh well!
Old 02-23-2021, 03:07 PM   #40
jimmypop13

Drives: 2016 camaro ss
From what I understand it wasn't an underground event. Someone posted this screenshot of the invite: https://ibb.co/FYjvYVc

And yeah it was an SS with mods. You can see it running in the high 12's on his FB. https://m.facebook.com/andrew.mock.564

I was working at the hospital that night. It was a very sad situation that hurt us all. As a Camaro owner myself back at 22 I've been thinking about this incident a lot the past few days. I would have never done burnouts in a car show parking lot or dangerous flybys on the feeder like this but I did do some stupid things in empty parking lots or on highways. At 34 I haven't raced on the highway in probably over 10 years. Lucky I had a dad that was very strict on my driving at 16 and taught me everything he knew from his experiences. I wish this guy had had someone similar in his life to help realize you can not do dangerous things like this, especially around others. I just feel horrible for all the families involved
jimmypop13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 03:10 PM   #41
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintslinger16 View Post
While I think it’s a sad tragedy I would be hypocritical to say me or at least half the members have never street raced. It’s definitely different, the right off the show room street cars are gobs faster and all the people that mod cars and drive them on the street with legit race 8 second Cars are numerous.

A fast car back in the day was more like low 12 seconds with Guys in the 10 or 11 having to be rolling on slicks at 2 am and would take a 1/4 mile to be going 100.

The crowds that gather via social media are huge, we might have got 20 people in the know, out on the deserted back roads of my rural area.
But with the videos that wink wink are in Mexico contributed and now hundreds on the sideline everyone has a hand in this but only that driver will probably get charged.
Guilty as charged, but at the same time, as most people, if we do it, it will be at places where we are sure that no other people or cars will be affected if things go wrong.

I also don't go all out on strangers, and when I push the car, it's when the conditions will allow it. If there is heavy rain then I slow down to speed limit or slightly below, and if it snows and I don't have winters, car stays parked.

It's also different psychologically when you are trying to race someone and when you are showing off in front of a big crowd. A lot easier to go nuts when lots of eyes are on you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmypop13 View Post
From what I understand it wasn't an underground event. Someone posted this screenshot of the invite: https://ibb.co/FYjvYVc

And yeah it was an SS with mods. You can see it running in the high 12's on his FB. https://m.facebook.com/andrew.mock.564

I was working at the hospital that night. It was a very sad situation that hurt us all. As a Camaro owner myself back at 22 I've been thinking about this incident a lot the past few days. I would have never done burnouts in a car show parking lot or dangerous flybys on the feeder like this but I did do some stupid things in empty parking lots or on highways. At 34 I haven't raced on the highway in probably over 10 years. Lucky I had a dad that was very strict on my driving at 16 and taught me everything he knew from his experiences. I wish this guy had had someone similar in his life to help realize you can not do dangerous things like this, especially around others. I just feel horrible for all the families involved
It definitely isn't sanctioned, either.

Usually the car meets I attended just involved a lot of chatting. I am glad that most owners are mature enough not to race, we are all there to just appreciate each other's cars.

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 03:21 PM   #42
TP2SS

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaimer View Post
I could see that happening. Then add in the intelligence standing around...driver probably didn't have much of a choice (rear end the car or guaranteed hit to people)

I don't think it is a 1LE though? It seem like an SS or a 2SS to me, with a few mods. The rims and hood don't make any sense for it being a 1LE.

You know what? You're probably right. I saw the wing and was thinking 1LE, but now that I think about it again only the ZLE had that wing (OEM), correct? A blacked-out hood would have given it away I guess. What do I know, I'm just a dumb 2SS owner
Magnetic Ride Control
Dual Mode Exhaust
2019+ version Split Spoke Silver Wheels
Navigation
Silver Rally Stripes
TP2SS is offline   Reply With Quote