Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 09-14-2020, 08:55 AM   #1
NHills1LE

Drives: 2021 1SS 1LE
Trying to clarify allocation and price with dealers

So I've been negotiating with some dealers for a 2021 1LE that would need to be ordered. Actually the price negotiation via email has been pretty smooth, but then when I ask about their allocation, they either don't answer, or they say that the car will arrive in 6-8 weeks, and that's the end of it. From reading other posts here though, I'm thinking I shouldn't fall for that. A couple of them have also said they do not know if they have allocation, even though they are supposedly the sales managers.

Just to clarify, if a dealer says they have allocation, and we agree on a price, I should ask to see the order put in on the Workbench, and get an order number, at the time of deposit (?)

But also, if a dealer has allocation, the status of the order should change pretty quickly to 2000, if there is no constraint? How long should that take? Does GM do it, or the dealer?

And if the order is not at 2000 or above, the order can be cancelled at any time, and the deposit refunded?

And lastly, if we have agreed on pricing, there should be a sales order stating all the terms, signed by the sales manager, at the time of deposit?

Thanks.
NHills1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 12:43 PM   #2
N Camarolina

Drives: 2021 2SS 1LE
I just ordered a 2021 1LE at local dealer that I carefully selected via multi-dealer bid process I set up. From what I've learned on this forum (a LOT - thanks to others for sharing their knowledge!) the dealer must have a Camaro allocation (possibly an SS allocation if you are building a SS 1LE). Allocations are awarded to dealers each week by Chevy (on Tuesday's, in time for regular ordering cycle of Thurs to following Tues), but whether the dealer receives any allocations in a particular week is determined by the # of Camaros they sold in the previous year. I stressed this (need to have a current allocation) as one of my criteria when choosing a dealer, and each dealer seemed to be pretty honest as to whether they had one or not. I should add that I researched the Camaros that each dealer had on the lot or "in transit" via Chevy and local dealer websites as a rough guide of to how much Camaro volume a dealer does, and used this approach to avoid dealers that would not receive Camaro allocations as frequently.

My order was placed by my chosen dealer on a Monday (before the Tues deadline), and by Friday of the same week, I received confirmation from them that the order had been accepted by Chevy (allocation confirmed and assigned to building the specific car I ordered; 2000 code).

When I ordered, I did need to give a deposit. At that time as well, I was given a bill of sale (per my request) that contained the car order details as well as the final price (all costs, including tax and tags) we had agreed on so that there would be no chance of disagreement at point vehicle was delivered. We also added a line item for adjustment of final price for any Chevy applicable rebates/discounts that I'd be eligible for at time of vehicle delivery. My understanding is that the deposit is refundable and car options can be changed before Chevy moves the code to 3000.

I saw a another post by one of the forum members who orders Camaros at the dealer where he works and he said it takes until the following Tues to go from 2000 to 3000 code.
N Camarolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 01:05 PM   #3
BG2112

Drives: saturn ion
N Camarolina, did you get any type of discount off the msrp?
BG2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 01:12 PM   #4
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHills1LE View Post
So I've been negotiating with some dealers for a 2021 1LE that would need to be ordered. Actually the price negotiation via email has been pretty smooth, but then when I ask about their allocation, they either don't answer, or they say that the car will arrive in 6-8 weeks, and that's the end of it. From reading other posts here though, I'm thinking I shouldn't fall for that. A couple of them have also said they do not know if they have allocation, even though they are supposedly the sales managers.

Just to clarify, if a dealer says they have allocation, and we agree on a price, I should ask to see the order put in on the Workbench, and get an order number, at the time of deposit (?)

But also, if a dealer has allocation, the status of the order should change pretty quickly to 2000, if there is no constraint? How long should that take? Does GM do it, or the dealer?

And if the order is not at 2000 or above, the order can be cancelled at any time, and the deposit refunded?

And lastly, if we have agreed on pricing, there should be a sales order stating all the terms, signed by the sales manager, at the time of deposit?

Thanks.

to the forums

I'd ask Joe in this thread: https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=415251. He will have firsthand info about the ordering, manufacturing and delivery processes to help you with, plus he can track any US order, thus you can find out whenever the order status changes. If you look at my signature, it has a nice little "timeline" of these status changes for my car I ordered back in 2018.

Note that he is doing us a massive favor with this voluntary tracking "service", so there are no automatic notifications or anything similar, but you can ask him about the status every week or every other day if you want, he will gladly help.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 01:37 PM   #5
N Camarolina

@BG2112: I will be paying cash and was not offering a trade in, so the only money the dealer was going to make was the difference between what they pay net for Camaro vs what they sell it to me for. I wound up paying invoice price (as per Edmunds TMV calculator) + tax/tags, with no fees added fees from the dealer (or $700 below invoice + $700 in dealer fees if you want to look at it that way). Two different dealers offered this amount, while the other 4 were somewhere between invoice + $700 and $530 off MSRP. No Chevy discounts on 2021s right now.

So in the end I managed to save about $2,275 off MSRP, which is at least decent if not spectacular. Given the spread I experienced in dealer bids, looks like it pays to shop around.
Old 09-20-2020, 07:08 AM   #6
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by N Camarolina View Post
When I ordered, I did need to give a deposit. At that time as well, I was given a bill of sale (per my request) that contained the car order details as well as the final price (all costs, including tax and tags) we had agreed on so that there would be no chance of disagreement at point vehicle was delivered.
As per your request? Providing a deposit is only done when signing an agreement with a dealership. That is a legally binding contract and they MUST provide you with a copy of what you have signed. Doing this any other way would not be legal and someone could be getting set up to be scammed.

Unless your point was different?
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 10:28 AM   #7
N Camarolina

I was simply trying to help the OP by relaying the experience I had with my dealer and to indirectly suggest you get as much in writing as possible at time of placing your order to protect you, the buyer, from a dealer trying to later raise the price at time of delivery.

I can't speak to what the dealer is legally required to provide, but I wanted to make sure I was as protected as possible to ensure the price I paid at the end was the same as we had discussed prior to placing the order. I asked to make sure they had something for us to sign that spelled out the vehicle being ordered and the pricing and and final costs we had informally agreed to in our prior communications. The dealer provided a pricing sheet (detailed the agreed vehicle price and the modifications like dealer fees, tax, tags, etc) and a separate receipt for the payment deposit.

I provided this info to help other buyers on the forum because, as much as it seems obvious that the above approach would help protect both buyer and seller, it appears that not all forum members placing an order have had the same experience. In other previous threads, at least one member said they had supposedly ordered a car and had not even agreed on a price with their dealer (so obviously no pricing or contract forms were signed, and no clue how they would mutually agree on a price at a later point when the buyer has time invested and has lost much of their leverage). Then there were other cases where cars were ordered and no supposedly no deposit was taken, and no mention to price negotiation or paperwork was made.
Old 09-20-2020, 10:39 AM   #8
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
I agree with the signed buyers order. Especially not signed by the salesman but by one of the actual sales managers that approved the deal. Also don’t forget to possibly strike while the iron is hot, and set up a clause on the buyers order that says you get a rental car anytime you come in, and not just an enterprise econobox…
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 10:45 AM   #9
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
I agree with the signed buyers order. Especially not signed by the salesman but by one of the actual sales managers that approved the deal. Also don’t forget to possibly strike while the iron is hot, and set up a clause on the buyers order that says you get a rental car anytime you come in, and not just an enterprise econobox…
Agreed. And you can also negotiate in conditions that allow you to walk from the deal and get a refund on your deposit. There are typically contingency lines "baked right in" on the Sales Agreement.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote