Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Phastek Performance

Old 05-11-2020, 10:15 AM   #1
joeyazzata29
j1ss

Drives: '21 2SS 1LE
What should I expect from stock SS brakes at the track?

Title says it all haha, I swapped to Motul 600 DOT4 fluid, my pads are in great shape.

Of course ill swap the track air guides and brake shields before hitting the track, but realistically in south florida in the summer how bad is this gonna be?

The pedal feels great especially when you start pushing the car and throw it in track mode the pedal gets really stiff and short, I just wonder how long itll last? anyone have experience with this? Are the brakes trash on track on a regular SS or they just dont last? What upgrades should I do in the meantime without going with bigger better brakes? Pads?

Thanks
joeyazzata29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 11:10 AM   #2
aronSlusa

Drives: '16 2SS
Used the stock pads once at Road America after swapping for higher temp DOT4 fluid from Oreillys.
By the second run I was was experiencing fade and had to start braking earlier coming into turn 5 and turn 1... Kind of expected it though with the stock pads, and was a 75 degree August day.

Flushed the system and used Motul 660 with Hawk DTC-60 pads up front, stock rears (was shipped the wrong size and didn't notice until I went to put them on), stock rotors and calipers yet... night and day difference with almost no brake fade the entire time I was on the track.
Be back on track in less than a week and I'll be going with the same setup until I need to replace the rears.
aronSlusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 07:06 PM   #3
That1guy_tim

Drives: Camaro 1ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by aronSlusa View Post
Used the stock pads once at Road America after swapping for higher temp DOT4 fluid from Oreillys.
By the second run I was was experiencing fade and had to start braking earlier coming into turn 5 and turn 1... Kind of expected it though with the stock pads, and was a 75 degree August day.

Flushed the system and used Motul 660 with Hawk DTC-60 pads up front, stock rears (was shipped the wrong size and didn't notice until I went to put them on), stock rotors and calipers yet... night and day difference with almost no brake fade the entire time I was on the track.
Be back on track in less than a week and I'll be going with the same setup until I need to replace the rears.
Are you going to be at the track day on the 26th as well?? i wanted to sign up for this weekend but unfortunately by pads and rotors won't be here in time
That1guy_tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 08:30 AM   #4
Alpha1BC

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
That's gonna depend mostly on how you drive. If you've got a ton of experience driving on track and are capable of/comfortable with driving the car at its limits then you might want to consider switching to a more track-oriented pad. If you're newer to track days and/or don't push the car in the braking zones or corners you'll be just fine on stock pads.

If you're not sure, I'd suggest trying a track day on stock pads and seeing how you do. Worst case you get a little bit of fade and have to adjust your braking like aron mentioned but it's not like you'll lose all your braking due to pad fade. You pretty much get that initial bit of fade but it doesn't keep getting worse. If you do get fade or don't like how the stock pads feel once you get them up to temp then I would suggest looking into some track pads.
Old 05-13-2020, 10:55 AM   #5
joeyazzata29
j1ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha1BC View Post
That's gonna depend mostly on how you drive. If you've got a ton of experience driving on track and are capable of/comfortable with driving the car at its limits then you might want to consider switching to a more track-oriented pad. If you're newer to track days and/or don't push the car in the braking zones or corners you'll be just fine on stock pads.

If you're not sure, I'd suggest trying a track day on stock pads and seeing how you do. Worst case you get a little bit of fade and have to adjust your braking like aron mentioned but it's not like you'll lose all your braking due to pad fade. You pretty much get that initial bit of fade but it doesn't keep getting worse. If you do get fade or don't like how the stock pads feel once you get them up to temp then I would suggest looking into some track pads.

Yeah agreed thanks for the input.
Old 05-13-2020, 10:57 AM   #6
joeyazzata29
j1ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyazzata29 View Post
Yeah agreed thanks for the input.
I was thinking newer track drivers would ride the brakes longer almost in an uncertain way, whereas if you have track experience you might brake harder and later but for way less distance therefore generating less heat? Maybe lol.. I’m gonna do all I can to take care of them and we’ll go from there
Old 05-13-2020, 10:59 AM   #7
joeyazzata29
j1ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by aronSlusa View Post

Gotcha. Road America’s a way bigger track than homestead, how many laps per session were you doing? I was thinking I was only gonna do 3-5 lap runs at a time to take care of my stuff heat wise here in south Florida
Thanks for the input good to hear about actual stock SS brakes with DOT4 fluid like I have