Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 08-04-2020, 05:15 PM   #1
funked1

Drives: '23 Hyundai Kona N, '24 VW GTI
MuScLe CaRs DoN't HaNdLe

FTD, FTP on the tightest course I have seen. First gear the whole way. Bone stock SS 1LE. This car is amazing.

funked1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 05:27 PM   #2
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
god thats a confusing auto x course lol
Old 08-04-2020, 11:03 PM   #3
MatthewAMEL

Drives: 2023 CT5 Blackwing
Glad you had fun.

Nightmare course.

2023 Wave Metallic
CT5-V Blackwing M6
MatthewAMEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 11:24 AM   #4
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by kropscamaro16 View Post
god thats a confusing auto x course lol
LOL, that is one thing that has kept me from trying AutoX. I have a buddy who does it a lot and I watch his videos and think to myself, the cones are all over the place ans spaced as such, that I really have no clue when and where the course goes.

Maybe it makes more sense from behind the wheel, but from the videos I have seen, cones are everywhere and I can't tell what the course looks like.

Previous:
18' NFG 2SS 1LE (ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings & Corsa Exhaust)
16' F80 M3 (Ohlin R/T Coilovers)
13' Audi TTRS (APR Stage 1, MSS Springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
06' 335i (KW V2 Coilovers)
03' C5 Z06
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 11:33 AM   #5
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ06 View Post
LOL, that is one thing that has kept me from trying AutoX. I have a buddy who does it a lot and I watch his videos and think to myself, the cones are all over the place ans spaced as such, that I really have no clue when and where the course goes.

Maybe it makes more sense from behind the wheel, but from the videos I have seen, cones are everywhere and I can't tell what the course looks like.

yea i have done some puretrack before which is a combination of cones and curbing and its super easy to figure out the course but this type of auto x just looks confusing as hell haha but being on track > parking lot chasing cones
Old 08-05-2020, 12:17 PM   #6
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Cool video. Maybe when I go back and do Autocross in mine, I should try sticking with 1st. It's tall enough for that to be viable.

Quote:

There is a GPS map in the top right corner of the video.

That one looks a bit confusing, but there are course walks beforehand and you will learn the specific combination of cones and what they mean quickly.

Try it. If you ever feel bad for screwing up, remember that I didn't pay attention at the course walk and ended up getting 3 or 4 DNF in my RX-8 when I did Autocross the first time.

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 12:56 PM   #7
foshjowler

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2.0T, 91 Miata
I'd bet there were a ton of DNF's on that course. That was very much so a "sea of cones" and way too much variability in which way to go. Most courses won't have any parts that you have to go through twice, really depends on the club and location though.

Youtube Channel

foshjowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 02:03 PM   #8
funked1

Quote:
Originally Posted by foshjowler View Post
I'd bet there were a ton of DNF's on that course. That was very much so a "sea of cones" and way too much variability in which way to go. Most courses won't have any parts that you have to go through twice, really depends on the club and location though.
The DNFs weren't too bad. They used a lot of extra guide cones, and you just had to remember to keep left on the "roundabout" and always take the third exit.
Old 08-05-2020, 02:06 PM   #9
funked1

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post
Cool video. Maybe when I go back and do Autocross in mine, I should try sticking with 1st. It's tall enough for that to be viable.

There is a GPS map in the top right corner of the video.

That one looks a bit confusing, but there are course walks beforehand and you will learn the specific combination of cones and what they mean quickly.

Try it. If you ever feel bad for screwing up, remember that I didn't pay attention at the course walk and ended up getting 3 or 4 DNF in my RX-8 when I did Autocross the first time.
At most courses I eventually run out of revs in 1st and have to shift up. But the Reno site is small enough that 1st is perfect. On courses that need 2nd, I usually stay in 1st until I get to the fast part, then use 2nd until it gets really slow. Rev match makes it easy to downshift when needed. There is still plenty of torque in 2nd, but 1st makes it easier to rotate the car.
Old 08-05-2020, 02:09 PM   #10
funked1

Quote:

It's easier to figure out in person. And after a few events you get better at it. I still have days where I get lost on course. It's good to make or bring some friends to help you figure out where you goofed. Or record video so you can play it back.
Old 08-05-2020, 02:11 PM   #11
ICTsccaCamaro
ITCRNRS

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Whatever that was is not autocross, that would be painfully tight.
Old 08-05-2020, 02:12 PM   #12
funked1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewAMEL View Post
Glad you had fun.

Nightmare course.
Oh you ain't seen nothin yet! SCCA had a course at Crow's Landing last year that was basically a cone puzzle. I DNFed every run except my final run. And on that run I thought I had DNFed and stopped pushing because I was busy yelling naughty words, so my time was crap.