Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Phastek Performance

Old 06-22-2020, 08:41 PM   #1
alodg13

Drives: 2017 Garnet Red 2ss
Coolant tank too full?

I'm having a little issue where I set the coolant tank and the overflow to their "cold" lines, and after a couple driving cycle, the main tank is completely full and the overflow looks low. This causes the little hose going to the thermostat housing to leak slowly. This leak does not happen until the coolant "swaps" places.

Any ideas on why this is happening?

alodg13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 03:23 AM   #2
JeromeS13

Drives: 2017 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by alodg13 View Post
I'm having a little issue where I set the coolant tank and the overflow to their "cold" lines, and after a couple driving cycle, the main tank is completely full and the overflow looks low. This causes the little hose going to the thermostat housing to leak slowly. This leak does not happen until the coolant "swaps" places.

Any ideas on why this is happening?

The upper reservoir is supposed to be completely full. The lower one should be up to the line.
JeromeS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 06:58 AM   #3
aronSlusa

Drives: '16 2SS
That’s how it says it should be in the manual. Mine is pretty much the same, just I have no leak.
aronSlusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 07:23 AM   #4
alodg13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeromeS13 View Post
The upper reservoir is supposed to be completely full. The lower one should be up to the line.
Shouldn’t they both go back to their cold fill line when cold?
Edelbrock 2650, LT4 HPFP, LT4 Injectors, LT4 LPFP, LT4 TMAP, JMS BAP, Rotofab CAI, Soler Engineering LT5 TB, Elite Engineering E2-X Catch Can, Corsa 2nd Cat Delete X-Pipe, Flowmaster Axleback, JRE Tune
Old 06-23-2020, 08:28 AM   #5
Z28GTOSSMike

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by alodg13 View Post
Shouldn’t they both go back to their cold fill line when cold?
No. The top tank should stay completely full and the bottom tank somewhere between the lines. The top tank is part of the pressurized cooling system and the bottom tank is the overflow allowing room for expansion. If you have a leak that needs to be fixed first or you will continue to lose coolant.
Z28GTOSSMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 07:26 PM   #6
alodg13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z28GTOSSMike View Post
No. The top tank should stay completely full and the bottom tank somewhere between the lines. The top tank is part of the pressurized cooling system and the bottom tank is the overflow allowing room for expansion. If you have a leak that needs to be fixed first or you will continue to lose coolant.
Yep, I found the clamp on the thermostat housing was not circular anymore and not sealing all the way.
Edelbrock 2650, LT4 HPFP, LT4 Injectors, LT4 LPFP, LT4 TMAP, JMS BAP, Rotofab CAI, Soler Engineering LT5 TB, Elite Engineering E2-X Catch Can, Corsa 2nd Cat Delete X-Pipe, Flowmaster Axleback, JRE Tune