Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 01-09-2019, 08:52 PM   #15
ChangerOfWays

Drives: 2017 2LT RS
For me, I'm looking at the Edelbrock kit mostly due to convenience with local installation.

There is no doubt that the Overkill kit makes more power, but I have no idea how I would get it installed. Places that I've talked to locally won't touch a V6 beyond basic mods (intake, exhaust, TB, etc) - The Overkill installation seems pretty involved and taking the car to Florida for a week+ is sadly out of the question.

My primary shop works with Edelbrock kits frequently and said they would install the Supercharger when it comes out (but only with the stock tune it comes with, they won't custom tune V6), and it would take 2-3 days.

I am confused about the comments regarding no warranty on the Edelbrock kit. Looking at the Phastek preorder page, it specifically mentions that it is covered by their 3-year/36k powertrain warranty - is there something I am missing or misunderstanding?
ChangerOfWays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 10:44 PM   #16
Dustya

Drives: Overkill Supercharged 2016 CamaroV6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChangerOfWays View Post
For me, I'm looking at the Edelbrock kit mostly due to convenience with local installation.

There is no doubt that the Overkill kit makes more power, but I have no idea how I would get it installed. Places that I've talked to locally won't touch a V6 beyond basic mods (intake, exhaust, TB, etc) - The Overkill installation seems pretty involved and taking the car to Florida for a week+ is sadly out of the question.

My primary shop works with Edelbrock kits frequently and said they would install the Supercharger when it comes out (but only with the stock tune it comes with, they won't custom tune V6), and it would take 2-3 days.

I am confused about the comments regarding no warranty on the Edelbrock kit. Looking at the Phastek preorder page, it specifically mentions that it is covered by their 3-year/36k powertrain warranty - is there something I am missing or misunderstanding?
I may be mistaken on the warranty.. it does say 3year 36k when applicable.. not sure what the when applicable means I would check with Edelbrock to be positive. You have a very valid reason to go with the kit.

However it's 36k from 0 miles on the odometer not from your installation date. The kit must also be installed by a dealer or authorized installer.

Either way I'll be excited to see one on a car and running.

Follow me on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/hyperhawkcamaro/
Youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHR...-ilSpV3gMQnTuA

Supercharged with Overkill Superchargers http://www.v6superchargers.com
Dustya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 11:12 AM   #17
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadboyleo View Post
I was wondering if there was a good reliable supercharger for the V6 camaro. Looking to get some power to my maro. I've looked everywhere and I can't seem to find one for the LGX engine. If there is none what are some other options I could put on my car to add some easy power?
Just a heads up, I've moved your thread to the Forced Induction sub-forum.
Carry on

-DG
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 09:34 AM   #18
EDFHOBBIES
Dyno Show Queen LOL

Drives: 16 SS & 17 ZL1 Both Yellow
Send a message via Skype™ to EDFHOBBIES
I know the owner personally of the white car that has the procharger.. Nacol Thatsall on FB car's name STORM lived a few mile away now in Fl for abt. 2 months. You may ask her how she likes it. she's had a few problems like the SS with the AC's going out not sure if it was rubbing or heat or why but, both her and my friend Arron who was featured on AGG like us both had prochargers both AC failed in about the same amount of time. failed MAF cable or wire harness, and kind of pain to mess with draining and filling the oil all the time.

No matter what route your going to have fueling problems to make good power, I think she's running an intank LT4 pump now.. injectors not sure.. but the ECM is also the limiting factor for calibration or making real power. I think she's sitting a little over 400 to the wheels the last time it got back from Tracy installing something..

I can almost guarantee the quality and reliability will be better on the eforce if you go by the V8 blowers and imports they have like the BRZs. I haven't had any or seen any problems at all.. the units are sealed for 100k operation no hassles..

I would say the Eforce since its a PD you may want the added tq and instant power since those number are down from a ss or zl1's.. I don't think the top end will matter much not like you doing the T2K.. It be nice to have that TQ though!

Kong Ported 2650, Crawford Racing Port Injection, Weapon X 112mm Adapter, NW112mm TB, Livernois Ported LT4 Heads, Lingenfelter GT32 stealth cam, Haltech Elite, and Carbon by Trufiber
EDFHOBBIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 09:51 AM   #19
Dustya

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDFHOBBIES View Post
I know the owner personally of the white car that has the procharger.. Nacol Thatsall on FB car's name STORM lived a few mile away now in Fl for abt. 2 months. You may ask her how she likes it. she's had a few problems like the SS with the AC's going out not sure if it was rubbing or heat or why but, both her and my friend Arron who was featured on AGG like us both had prochargers both AC failed in about the same amount of time. failed MAF cable or wire harness, and kind of pain to mess with draining and filling the oil all the time.

No matter what route your going to have fueling problems to make good power, I think she's running an intank LT4 pump now.. injectors not sure.. but the ECM is also the limiting factor for calibration or making real power. I think she's sitting a little over 400 to the wheels the last time it got back from Tracy installing something..

I can almost guarantee the quality and reliability will be better on the eforce if you go by the V8 blowers and imports they have like the BRZs. I haven't had any or seen any problems at all.. the units are sealed for 100k operation no hassles..

I would say the Eforce since its a PD you may want the added tq and instant power since those number are down from a ss or zl1's.. I don't think the top end will matter much not like you doing the T2K.. It be nice to have that TQ though!
Sorry I do not want to come across as a jerk for correcting you but just did not want any misinformation out there.. but there is no "procharger" for the 6th gen V6 Nacol's car Storm was the development car for the Overkill Supercharger kit so the problems she encountered was for the community! These problems no longer exist with the kit as many modifications and things learned have happened since then. Also alot of her issues came out of the shop in texas and she had to keep sending her car to Tracy Lewis in Florida "Authorized Overkill Installer" To get them fixed.

There are 0 fueling problems with the stage 1 kit.. And the Stage 2 kit gives you all the fuel parts you need. As far as Quality and reliability There are 0 issues there either.. Plenty of overkill kits out there on Cadillacs Trucks Camaro's 5th gen and 6th gen alike and the market is just improving on it.

Its not like the overkill kit uses some china brand supercharger its a vortech V3 headunit that will out last the car. It is also a self contained system you have to change 4 oz of oil every 7500 miles costs $10 or less.

Also have to remember the edelbrock kits the close to the same price as the stage 2 overkill kit and with the stage 2 kit you get the fueling upgrades more HP more TQ and you are also future proofing yourself for further mods down the road.

You are right edelbrock is great and known for the reliability but... They have had many years working with V8 Chevrolet engines and this is their first venture into the v6. Can't wait to see one on someone's V6 though!

Old 01-16-2019, 10:39 AM   #20
EDFHOBBIES
Dyno Show Queen LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustya View Post
Sorry I do not want to come across as a jerk for correcting you but just did not want any misinformation out there.. but there is no "procharger" for the 6th gen V6 Nacol's car Storm was the development car for the Overkill Supercharger kit so the problems she encountered was for the community! These problems no longer exist with the kit as many modifications and things learned have happened since then. Also alot of her issues came out of the shop in texas and she had to keep sending her car to Tracy Lewis in Florida "Authorized Overkill Installer" To get them fixed.

There are 0 fueling problems with the stage 1 kit.. And the Stage 2 kit gives you all the fuel parts you need. As far as Quality and reliability There are 0 issues there either.. Plenty of overkill kits out there on Cadillacs Trucks Camaro's 5th gen and 6th gen alike and the market is just improving on it.

Its not like the overkill kit uses some china brand supercharger its a vortech V3 headunit that will out last the car. It is also a self contained system you have to change 4 oz of oil every 7500 miles costs $10 or less.

Also have to remember the edelbrock kits the close to the same price as the stage 2 overkill kit and with the stage 2 kit you get the fueling upgrades more HP more TQ and you are also future proofing yourself for further mods down the road.

You are right edelbrock is great and known for the reliability but... They have had many years working with V8 Chevrolet engines and this is their first venture into the v6. Can't wait to see one on someone's V6 though!

no problem your not... procharger... ECS... paxton...vortec whatever.. I group them in to 1 centrifugal category.. just like the TVS eaton rotor family..not counting whipple..

ok ... the centrifugal blowers for some reasons have taken out 2 of my friends cars SS and V6..

What does the fuel system take the car to on e85 this is great news

what shop in texas? I know but do you because that shop did exactly what they said to do and then it had to go to tracy..

Hell im the one that said it was the harness after being at Nacoles house and helping with what they said was a MAF problem and wasnt

Kong Ported 2650, Crawford Racing Port Injection, Weapon X 112mm Adapter, NW112mm TB, Livernois Ported LT4 Heads, Lingenfelter GT32 stealth cam, Haltech Elite, and Carbon by Trufiber
Old 01-16-2019, 02:14 PM   #21
Dustya

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDFHOBBIES View Post
no problem your not... procharger... ECS... paxton...vortec whatever.. I group them in to 1 centrifugal category.. just like the TVS eaton rotor family..not counting whipple..

ok ... the centrifugal blowers for some reasons have taken out 2 of my friends cars SS and V6..

What does the fuel system take the car to on e85 this is great news

what shop in texas? I know but do you because that shop did exactly what they said to do and then it had to go to tracy..

Hell im the one that said it was the harness after being at Nacoles house and helping with what they said was a MAF problem and wasnt

I am unsure of the name I know there was the issue with the fuel pump possibly the sending unit if I recall.. Then when the boost guage got installed it caused a few issues with the BOV .. Dont recall anything going wrong with the MAF sensor but maybe that was earlier on. What other v6 was taken out by a centrifugal blower ? just curious I know all the boosted gen 6 people maybe it was a gen 5 possibly a earlier kit there was lots of issues with Some early on gen 5 kits from other companies. Here nor there I can Vouch for the reliability of the overkill kit I am sure she would as well.

Old 01-18-2019, 07:06 AM   #22
EDFHOBBIES
Dyno Show Queen LOL

https://www.facebook.com/HTownCamaro...9804790759933/ Shortly after the episode he had the centrifugal installed..

This is the other AC that went out.. He thought it was something the shop did (not overkill) I thought it was really strange 2 centrifugals blowers 2 AC dieds, installed around the same time and problems around the same time. both of them my friends.. I'm sure I'm making a generalization but you can see why!

Old 01-18-2019, 07:53 AM   #23
sadboyleo

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustya View Post
hey sadboyleo, Awesome to see you are interested in boosting your gen6 v6!!!

The edelbrock sure seems enticing huh ? however for the quoted $7300 dollars they are charging for the kit you can get the overkill stage 2 kit and be set for even more power down the road.

I do alot of product evaluation and consumer recommendations I am very picky when I highly rate something or when something exceeds my expectations so do not think I am embellishing on the following remarks.. This is over 30k miles of evaluations over 40 dyno pulls and different fuel types different pulleys and now even different intercoolers I have tested with the overkill kit...

So lets talk about the edlebrock kit they make a great product they always have I am sure it will be reliable but think about future proofing think about community customer support and things like that when making your large purchase. edelbrock has not even released their kit yet, There are not upgrade paths, It comes with a canned tune any further tuning you will have to pay additional for which = hp tuner license fees and whatever fees the dyno/tuner shop is going to charge you should you want to try to take it to the next level. Okay so maybe they will come out with a smaller top pulley and a tune to fit it.. but when ? it took them 3 years to come out with the 6th gen v6 kit .. well its not out yet. I am not bashing the product but I do not see any advantages to it when you have the Overkill kit available and heres is why.

The Overkill kit has been out for almost 3 years the development for it spans back many more from the 5th gen v6 engines. Its always been the same guys the same tuner and the same support. You have multiple stages available and you have upgrade paths from there. Free re-tunes on future upgrades is HUGE! William Rishworth and Tracy Lewis are a great team and Tracy has done more v6 supercharger installs then probably anyone else combined. However if you want to give it a go yourself it can be done. You get a personalized tune for your car.. This is important not all engines are the same. A canned tune is one meant to suit all cars so is more of a undertune one size fits all but isnt the perfect fit. You will know your tune was meant for your car since you will be dealing with Will first hand who tunes 100's of GM v6 cars if not thousands.

When you compare the 2 kits there is no advantage of the Roots style Edelbrock kits its more money less power less support less community ... You get a different noise and a different look in the engine bay.

If you are sold on top mount kit you can also contact Tracy Lewis on that as well he does Top mount kits for the v6 camaros.

And if your curious I am currently pushing over 460whp with the record 1/4 mile time of 11.5@123 mph with 0 internal engine work.. I just installed new rear gears and a bigger intercooler and hoping with the cold temps to be low 11s and maybe just maybe if the worlds align get a 10 run.. There is no doing this with the edelbrock kit.

and remember Tracy and Will are not done developing there is other things in the works to go along with the overkill kit like port injection fueling and torque converters no one else is doing this stuff for us.. So not only by going with overkill are you getting a reliable kit you are also helping fund and build the future modding path for our cars!

I hope you find this information helpful and if you are serious about boosting do not hesitate to ask me anything. We have some great conversations over in the gen 6 v6 performance group

come join us where you can talk with all the boosted gen 6 v6 guys like Storm , Davis , And myself you can talk directly with Will and Tracy if you have questions they love answering over there!! here is the link we would love to have you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/258745904565294/

Yeah i'm very serious about getting a supercharger for my v6. The thing is I don't really know where to start or what shops would be willing to install the overkill kit for me. That's why I need someone thats from the greater boston area to help me out and walk me through things so I can learn and make the right decisions. But I want the end goal to be more power for my little cam
sadboyleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 09:01 AM   #24
EDFHOBBIES
Dyno Show Queen LOL

Your not comparing Apples to Apples.. Edelbrock usually has that 50 State carb certified bolt and go with with most likely a CAN a tune using the stock fuel system that you would not need a shop to install there direction are incredibly good.. Upgrade the fuel system on the edelbrock kit and there is more power to be had just like the ove kill kit. Just having the most HP in this case would not all ways be the one to go with since the V6 is low on TQ compared to a V8. I would do more research.. I'm sure both kits are great as a racer I would want more TQ and instant power and with meth and e85 the same power can be reached on either provided the ecm can be tuned with those goodies.

I hope they can unlock the ECM or calibrate them to make 800 or 1000 some day or make an after market ecm system.. but I'm sure they would need better cam profiles and head technology to flow more..

Old 04-23-2020, 11:43 AM   #25
Jamesborg

Drives: 2016 v6 rs camero
I have a few questions I am looking to supercharge my 2016 v6 camero and I wanted to know if anyone has had experience with the new supercharger by pro charger and if that is better than the one by overkill or Edelbrock.
Jamesborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 05:17 PM   #26
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
I did a few centri superchargers on the Dodge 4V V6, they were really a great fun setup. The high revs and 2 exhaust valves and large exhaust ports seem to take to the setup like a duck to water. Plumbing was SUPER easy. Never did a modern GM based V6, but it does not look all that difficult.
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 10:45 PM   #27
laynlo15

Drives: 2022 Lt1 A10
Its possible Mallet performance may have something. They build one for the V6 Colorado 3.6 which is the same as the Camaro. They were using the Magnuson Head unit.
2022 Lt1 6.2 A10, Maggie 2300, THPSI Port Inj/10 rib, Rotofab, E, Nickey, SCOL, Griptech, RC Bandits, Hoosiers/MT 9.80@142.96 1.44 60ft, 6.34@112 707/669 RWHP/TRQ. 16SS Maggie 2650 9.41@147 1.35 60ft, 5.99@119. 16 C7 A8 10.90@128 Bolt on stuff
laynlo15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 01:20 AM   #28
Jamesborg

Drives: 2016 v6 rs camero
Does anyone out there have experience with the super charger by procharger for the 6th gen v6 camero
Jamesborg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
supercharger