Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 10-27-2018, 10:14 AM   #211
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, Jeep JKU Rubicon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nsxmatt View Post
That's not buildup, it's normal staining in an internal combustion vehicle. I swear some of you have never looked inside an engine before so you see anything other than bare metal and flip out "oH I nEEd a kAtch kAn!!!". Honda has roughly 5 million DI engines out there and none have any buildup reported. We have a courier with 400k on his 14 Accord with zero problems at all with many 200k mile examples coming in too. The technology has got better and the problems you all had in the past do not exist anymore for the most part. Like I've said like 20x before, the DI bad rap mainly came from the early examples from BMW.
How would you characterize the differences in the DI and intake and crankcase vapor handling between these Honda engines and the LT1? Years ago, I made my living as a motorcycle and small engine mechanic, so I have a small amount of clue, although I never tore down anything larger than a 1200cc V4...
Old 10-27-2018, 11:06 AM   #212
Nsxmatt
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
How would you characterize the differences in the DI and intake and crankcase vapor handling between these Honda engines and the LT1? Years ago, I made my living as a motorcycle and small engine mechanic, so I have a small amount of clue, although I never tore down anything larger than a 1200cc V4...
The same basic system is used in both. It's very basic, it's just expelling crankcase vapors post MAF pre throttle body.
Nsxmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 02:58 PM   #213
Whocares05050

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
That's not buildup, it's normal staining in an internal combustion vehicle. I swear some of you have never looked inside an engine before so you see anything other than bare metal and flip out "oH I nEEd a kAtch kAn!!!". Honda has roughly 5 million DI engines out there and none have any buildup reported. We have a courier with 400k on his 14 Accord with zero problems at all with many 200k mile examples coming in too. The technology has got better and the problems you all had in the past do not exist anymore for the most part. Like I've said like 20x before, the DI bad rap mainly came from the early examples from BMW.

I have personally torn down 7 motors in my lifetime which isnt a lot however some here cant even do an oil change. There is always going to be natural buildup, yet DI enhances that buildup. I dont even have a catch can lol some of you are just hellbent on proving the non-need for one. I would hate to see some of you talk politics
Whocares05050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 08:00 PM   #214
drperry

Drives: Chevy Blazer
Venting less things back into the intake is ALWAYS a good thing in the long term... Whether it's crank case vapor or exhaust gasses. The only reason that started happening was because of emissions.

Emissions free engines last longer than those with emissions, lol.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
drperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 08:21 PM   #215
SnakeEyeSS

Drives: Camaro 2SS & ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by drperry View Post
Venting less things back into the intake is ALWAYS a good thing in the long term... Whether it's crank case vapor or exhaust gasses. The only reason that started happening was because of emissions.

Emissions free engines last longer than those with emissions, lol.

Are you comparing era's?
Old 10-28-2018, 12:57 AM   #216
drperry

Drives: Chevy Blazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeEyeSS View Post
Are you comparing era's?
Doesn't matter WHAT era you use... Recirculating spent gasses back into your engine is never a good idea, lol.

drperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 01:26 AM   #217
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
back in the early 60s when EGR gasses were vented to the atmosphere,tolerances were looser internally.if a car reached 100,000 miles it was worn out,and it usually was.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 05:59 AM   #218
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whocares05050 View Post
Im not a vendor nor selling anything. Just because you cant see into the future doesn't mean its not going to be a problem either.

As you can see on the previous page, there is buildup for sure more and more the higher the miles. What will 80k or 100k or 120k look like? We wont know until we have 50+ cars above 75k miles willing to inspect and take pictures. Either way its pay now or pay later so not sure why everyone is so triggered in here
You can look into the future with the 2014 1500 trucks I have one in the family with over 100k on it. Plenty others out there too
Old 10-29-2018, 08:21 AM   #219
Curr
Probably doesn't like you

Drives: 2022 WCT ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00 Trans Ram View Post
Thanks, Emoto.

In my review of the information I posted above, I noticed a lot of the same stuff happening in that thread, also. Basically, "if you can't/won't dispute the facts, smear the person." You see that a lot in life, unfortunately.
Quote:
Yes, being a lobbyist and writing bills and running a Saturn around a parking lot has a lot of bearing in knowing how a catch can works.
Irony, or coincidence.

كافر
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
железобетонное очко
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
There is an unequal amount of good and bad in most things, the trick is to work out the ratio and act accordingly.
Curr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 02:01 PM   #220
00 Trans Ram

Drives: 2017 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curr View Post
Irony, or coincidence.

Yeah, I suppose I should have led off my statements with, "I've only got a 4th-grade education, never driven a car before, and don't know an executive branch from an oak branch."
00 Trans Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 02:15 PM   #221
00 Trans Ram

Quote:
The pics that I've posted are NOT normal.

Here is "normal". This is the #7 intake valve from my L76 at 137k miles in my G8 (removed and replaced with new ones when I did cam swap). I did not do any cleaning on it beyond wiping with a paper towel (and letting it sit in my office for ~3 years).

Compare that to any of the pics I posted on page 14, such as:

or

We can stop discussing BMW, or Honda, or any other DI engines. This is about LT1 engines produced 2014-present.

We have already heard a GM employee admit that a catch can DOES reduce the amount of oil going into the intake. And we have pictures of what that oil does to the valves.
Old 10-29-2018, 02:32 PM   #222
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:

We have already heard a GM employee admit that a catch can DOES reduce the amount of oil going into the intake. And we have pictures of what that oil does to the valves.
Yup, nobody is debating that.

What IS up for debate is "Does it matter?" Aforementioned GM engineer doesn't think so, imo your wording is taking his comment out of context to suit your own biases. Lets stick to facts, ok?

So far, all real, factual evidence, all points to "NO".

Unless you have evidence to the contrary? Your pics are not evidence that it actually matters. Loss of power, worn valve guides, or damage due to knock are all things that actually matter btw.
DaveC113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 02:39 PM   #223
Nsxmatt
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro
Quote:
The pics that I've posted are NOT normal.

Here is "normal". This is the #7 intake valve from my L76 at 137k miles in my G8 (removed and replaced with new ones when I did cam swap). I did not do any cleaning on it beyond wiping with a paper towel (and letting it sit in my office for ~3 years).

Compare that to any of the pics I posted on page 14, such as:

or

We can stop discussing BMW, or Honda, or any other DI engines. This is about LT1 engines produced 2014-present.

You should just stick to politics. Your level of spouting off BS without any real facts fits in well there. I'm done talking to you. Those are in fact normal valves. Your own personal valve being "just wiped off with a towel" is comical at best. You may try and fool some who don't know any better but you haven't done one bit of work on a car. You are relying on what the internet says, or what the mechanic you are paying says. You're just ignorant to the fact and think you're smart.
Nsxmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 03:51 PM   #224
00 Trans Ram

Quote:
You should just stick to politics. Your level of spouting off BS without any real facts fits in well there. I'm done talking to you. Those are in fact normal valves. Your own personal valve being "just wiped off with a towel" is comical at best. You may try and fool some who don't know any better but you haven't done one bit of work on a car. You are relying on what the internet says, or what the mechanic you are paying says. You're just ignorant to the fact and think you're smart.
I've posted evidence to back up my position. You haven't. Try responding to the subject matter, instead of attacking me.

But, it you want to attack me . . .

Here I am NOT racing - https://youtu.be/RdWhAtK7J7Q

This is NOT me modifying the front struts to put Koni SAs on all 4 corners of my G8

This is NOT me tuning my G8 with HP Tuners after I DIDN'T install my own cam

This is an exhaust axleback with Helmholtz chamber that I DID NOT cut and weld myself for my G8

This is a shift-point program that I DID NOT write to optimize my shifting and lap times

This is a custom fiberglass roof that I DID NOT make to save 30lbs on my racecar

This is the 1st unit prototype of the Unbalanced Engineering De-Coupled Torque Arm (Race Version) that I DID NOT test for Jason

This is my LS1 in my Trans Am after I DID NOT install a custom TR cam
http://vid119.photobucket.com/albums...on1410/244.mp4

That is NOT me driving my 2000 Trans Am road race car

This is a custom upper A-arm that I did not fabricate for my Trans Am

This is a Quartermaster 7.25", triple-disc clutch that I DID NOT fit into my Trans Am

This is the interior of my racecar after I DID NOT strip it, install a cage (had help on this one), and made a custom dash

Sorry - it took my a while to find all those pictures and videos of OTHER PEOPLE so that I could take credit for their accomplishments.