Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 02-04-2020, 11:25 PM   #1
Barnaby

Drives: 2017 1LT Vert
Baby Seats in a 2017 LT1 Convertible?

Hi guys, haven’t posted in a while.

I am expecting a baby this summer, first kid I’ve ever had, and I am wondering if anybody here has experience hauling a newborn (or any little kid for that matter) around in Camaro.

My family is of course trying to get me to sell it and maybe they’re right, but man am I trying to keep her, lol.

If it makes any difference I have a 2017 LT1 Convertible.

It is definitely pretty tight for space back there, but then again I have never put a car seat in anything, so I guess I have no idea.

Any advice feedback or experience would be awesome! Thank you!
Barnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 06:32 AM   #2
Jim50thSS

Drives: 50th SS Convertible
It's not good. I've only put my son in twice and with a rear facing car seat it's impossible unless you put the top down and the passenger seat is moved too far forward for any adult to be comfortable. My advice is to get an affordable second car and try to hold on for a couple rears till they can go forward facing.
Jim50thSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 08:11 AM   #3
JROC
Account Suspended

Drives: 19 Camaro SS 1LE, 03 Ford Lightning
Subscribing.

My first kid is due in April.
JROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 08:40 AM   #4
chevybill

Drives: 1994 z-28, 2017 2ss 6spd
Your camaro is doomed, unless you can afford a baby carrying vehicle.

Sorry, that's just life now with the safety patrol out in force.

As a child of the 1970's, I remember bouncing around in the back seat of cars and riding
in the bed of pick up trucks.

Times have changed, do not give up your cars unless it's absolutely necessary.
chevybill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 08:46 AM   #5
CamaroChriSS

Drives: 16 1SS M6 Black -previous 00 Z28 M6
I disagree. I have a two year old, another on the way and have made it work. My wife has a Highlander so that's the primary kid hauler, but there have been plenty of times where we used my car. My wife is short, so we can fit the rear facing seat behind her. It's snug, but it's certainly doable. The front facing seats are much easier, and by the time the new baby is around the older one should be in that and fit fine. The biggest sacrifice I had to make was that I have to leave the back seat up (I used to leave it down to get more exhaust rumble) so I could keep the base in at all times. But with modern detachable base car seats, it's not bad. If you like the car it's worth the extra effort.
CamaroChriSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 09:00 AM   #6
Jaysatthelake

Drives: 2019 2SS 6 speed convertible
I haul my grandkids in the back of my 2019 convertible. One has a full front facing carseat, the other is more of a booster. Both work but there's not a strap at the top of the seats like most vehicles have these days. It's not putting them in my wife's Suburban but what is ? I'm only 5'-10" so my seat isn't all the way back and my wife and daughter are even shorter. Yes, all 4 of us fit just fine. You'll need to wipe the back of the seats down when you're done because that's just where the kids put their feet.

I changed from a 2015 Vette to the 2019 Camaro so I could take my grandkids along. By the way, it's sure easier putting them in when the top is down :-)
Jaysatthelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 10:14 AM   #7
Barnaby

Drives: 2017 1LT Vert
Awesome thanks for the reply’s guys. I am going to try my absolute best to make it work but it sounds like I may or may not need a ‘dad car’ , whatever the **** that means, at least as well as.... too bad they don’t make Camaro Specific baby seats.... that would be a best seller somebody should manufacture those and give me a cut ��

anyway I will keep you guys posted on how it goes - thanks again!
Barnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 11:28 AM   #8
RickErnst
Rick's6inNJ

Drives: 2017 Vert 2LT RS V6
Its doable with front-facing seats but I can't imagine trying with a rear-facing car seat. You'll need to get in the back too just to buckle the baby in.

The convertible does NOT have the back tethers so only the LATCH attachment points at the bottom are available. Not sure about the coupe...

And yes, it is worlds easier with the top down...

And yes, when they are older expect to clean the back of the front seats...

And yes, expect to have your front seats pushed up more than you expect...

Here are my grands enjoying the view:
Attached Images

RickErnst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 12:05 PM   #9

Drives: 2019 Satin Steel Metallic ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnaby View Post
Hi guys, haven’t posted in a while.

I am expecting a baby this summer, first kid I’ve ever had, and I am wondering if anybody here has experience hauling a newborn (or any little kid for that matter) around in Camaro.

My family is of course trying to get me to sell it and maybe they’re right, but man am I trying to keep her, lol.

If it makes any difference I have a 2017 LT1 Convertible.

It is definitely pretty tight for space back there, but then again I have never put a car seat in anything, so I guess I have no idea.

Any advice feedback or experience would be awesome! Thank you!

Congratulations!!! I am in the same situation, I will be 50 in March and expecting my 1st child (daughter). I had a deposit down on a 2020 'vette, but then realized, 2 seats So I went out after I did some research and found out YES, it will fit. I am only 5'8 and so is my other half, we tried one, and it fit. Here is another thread I found on the subject.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=435131

No regrets on not getting the 'vette, I ended up buying a new ZL1
Attached Images

5150777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 12:28 PM   #10
01pewterz28
#TeamBeckyD

Drives: 2017 HBM 2SS Convertible A8
I made it would in my 5th gen a rear facing and forwards facing zero issues, the 6th will be a tighter fit but looking at my vert and tested a car seat in my 17 SS vert it will fit no problems.
Old 02-05-2020, 03:55 PM   #11
GroundhogSS

Drives: '17 2SS convertible'20 Yukon Denali
It helps if you have a convertible, especially with putting them in and out, but is doable with a coupe or with the top up. I have one grand daughter who uses the rear facing and two who can sit forward. they like riding in my car. For the rear facing, it helps that my wife is only 5 feet 2.

Name:  20190709_092748.jpg
Views: 830
Size:  213.5 KB

Name:  20190421_164504.jpg
Views: 748
Size:  285.8 KB

Delivered: 08/15/2016

#TeamBeckyD

GroundhogSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 05:17 PM   #12
JROC
Account Suspended

Drives: 19 Camaro SS 1LE, 03 Ford Lightning
WTF is going on nowadays? I mean you be having like 7 year olds in car seats. I'm 37 and remember things at like 3 or 4 years old, but I don't remember riding in car seats because by the age I remember well I was just riding in a car normally with a seatbelt. My sister is 1.5 years younger than me and I don't remember her being in a car seat.

And it seems like car seats are way bulkier than they used to be. Remember those little plastic car seats?lol
JROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 07:37 PM   #13
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Your infant will have to go into a rear facing seat, so all the testimony about front facing seats is irrelevant.

So you need to borrow a rear facing set and see if you can put ups with an extreme forward position of the front passenger seat to make it fit.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 07:38 PM   #14
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JROC View Post
WTF is going on nowadays? I mean you be having like 7 year olds in car seats. I'm 37 and remember things at like 3 or 4 years old, but I don't remember riding in car seats because by the age I remember well I was just riding in a car normally with a seatbelt. My sister is 1.5 years younger than me and I don't remember her being in a car seat.

And it seems like car seats are way bulkier than they used to be. Remember those little plastic car seats?lol
OK Boomer.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote