Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

Bigwormgraphix

Old 09-18-2022, 08:47 AM   #1
DarrickMN

Drives: Kia Telluride
1ss 1le vs 1LE Spec Suspension Package vs stock

The build that i submitted to the dealership was about the max I was willing to spend (i think lol) I ordered a 1ss, black with black wheels and sunroof with auto transmission. I have read a lot of positive about the 1LE and then saw that they had the suspension only package which you have to add MRC for a total of about $3700 vs $6700 for the 1LE package.(7k - 300 for the black wheels that come with it) I looked through the 1LE track package and would enjoy the HUD, better brakes, wider wheels and tires . I wouldnt mind the steering wheel and shifter material, seats and dont know much about ELSD.

My dilemma is while is sounds like the 1LE package is a great value, i wont ever track the car. (or at least dont plan to) I am not sure that enjoying a faster on/off ramp is worth the $7k, but do plan on power adders down the road in 5 years give or take. I could easily convince myself to remove the sunroof and add the sunspension package, but i would also love the bigger tires on the 1LE package. Can I add wider tires than the 1LE package has down the road once i add the supercharger or is the 305 width pretty much the max in the back?? If it is the max then is seems the value of getting the larger wheels and tires off the bat and the HUD and better brakes is likely worth the extra $3k over the suspension only upgrade.

Am i missing anything regarding how the car will drive day to day as a daily driver in spring, summer and fall or will i only notice when the car is pushed or at the track? Will the 1LE make it worse to drive as a DD? I think I am at the point where i can be convinved either way but dont want to add something that i wont appreciate when I am alredy near the max i had set when i ordered. Any input is appreaciated!!
DarrickMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 09:19 AM   #2
5.M0NSTER

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
For street usage don’t worry about the 1LE package. It’s hard to approach the limits it provides outside of the track.

SS stock suspension is still decent, and adding Mag Ride helps even more. If you want to go wider than 305 you may need aftermarket rims anyway (ZL1 1LE has widest stock tires, but uses different wider wheels than Ss 1 LE) others know better I bet.

I would say get the features you know you will enjoy every day. If you’re planning to do power adders later, add wheels and tires to your supporting mod list.

The point of the 1LE package on SS is to give it the mechanical grip, stiffness and damping to produce great lap times without overheating or cooking the brakes. It’s difficult to appreciate on the street.
5.M0NSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 10:08 AM   #3
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
If you are thinking of getting a supercharger, get a ZL1, no question.

It's the same as the SS 1LE chassis wise, but with a super charger (and engine/drivetrain internals built for it) and marginally bigger brakes for the marginally heavier weight.

If you want to run NA, get the SS 1LE.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD

Last edited by JamesNoBrakes; 09-18-2022 at 11:19 AM.
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 10:38 AM   #4
DarrickMN

The zl1 is 30k more and not something im willing to pay at the moment. In 5 years once the kids are in school and my wife is working sure, but I don't want to wait that long for a sports car I've waited 10 years for. If the 1LE package is mostly for track use I would save the 7k for down for road upgrades.
Old 09-18-2022, 10:53 AM   #5
5.M0NSTER

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrickMN View Post
The zl1 is 30k more and not something im willing to pay at the moment. In 5 years once the kids are in school and my wife is working sure, but I don't want to wait that long for a sports car I've waited 10 years for. If the 1LE package is mostly for track use I would save the 7k for down for road upgrades.
Reasonable decision I think.
5.M0NSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 11:09 AM   #6
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
The 1LE is a really great package with a ton of content for the price. That can make it hard to pass up, but it doesn't sound like you really NEED the 1LE package. Yes you can add wider wheels and tires than the stock 1LE, look in to Zl1 1LE wheel specs and minor mods needed to install on an SS.

The SS stock suspension is really good, some lighter wheels and sticky tires will do wonders alone for the handling dynamics.

If I were you, I would skip the 1LE package and suspension entirely and order the car with the options you want. You can upgrade suspension later, but you cant add a power sunroof later.
Old 09-18-2022, 01:10 PM   #7
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
I went with a standard 2SS with MRC, then added many 1LE bits after the fact, paying close to the $7k difference in total cost, and I still don't have the Recaro seats or the e-diff (that one is impossible to retrofit)—but I'm peculiar in that I love how each bit was a tangible single upgrade, it felt like getting a new, slightly better car every time.

The majority of 1LE performance advantages you can actually utilize on the street is in MRC, wheels (with proper tires) and brakes, and this is what I have acquired over time (I optioned MRC in with the order), plus aero bits all around: splitter, side skirts, spoiler, diffuser.

If you never track the car, I doubt you'll even notice whether you have an e-diff or a mechanical LSD.

So there is no one size fits all solution, but it seems like you're already planning a gradual upgrade path, so I will say that if you already know you'll want near 1LE performance down the road, it's financially more sensible to get the package now.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 03:22 PM   #8
Uncle Sam

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LE Hyper Blue
My $0.02:

In your situation, I would go with the SS only and add to it later. Save the money for what you want, power adder and wheels. The standard SS is very capable and the 1LE is more for road course track use. You might find that the SS is all you need suspension and brake wise.
Uncle Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 04:48 PM   #9
WiggyB

Drives: 2022 Camaro 2SS 1LE
Its a toss up really. To add the 1LE options just suspension wise will get you close to the 7k afterwards without the wheels, seats, ELSD, ground effects pieces and HUD. It's all up to you and looking into how much its going to cost you to get it there later on as to what it costs to get it from the start.

Myself I wanted a ZL1 but chose the 2SS 1LE and added the only missing piece.
Old 09-19-2022, 11:01 AM   #10
DarrickMN

I might be in the minority here but I actually like the wing on the 1ss better than 1le. (Althougn I like the dual tip exhaust look better on the 1le)

Wish I could sit in both seats :(

Are the brakes better on the 1le or just better at heat on track?

Would the upgrades on the 1le help put the power down once a supercharger is added, or are they mostly for cornering on a track?

I keep reading a form that solidifies my stance on the 1ss but then read another that sways me to the 1le. LOL. I think the biggest reason I am still torn is it seems a bigger wheel/tire package for 1ss would be $2500 or more down the road alone and would like the HUD, wouldn't mind the dual exhaust but don't know on the seats...
Old 09-19-2022, 11:22 AM   #11
Msquared

Drives: Chevrolet SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrickMN View Post
Are the brakes better on the 1le or just better at heat on track?
The brakes mainly get you better heat transfer for track situations. The regular SS brakes will certainly lock up the tires just fine and stop the car equally well until they get overwhelmed with heat, but that doesn't happen with street driving or even autocross driving.

Quote:
Would the upgrades on the 1le help put the power down once a supercharger is added, or are they mostly for cornering on a track?
I guess arguably the eLSD could be helpful there, but that's dependent on how it's calibrated (which you mostly can't change). A regular "passive" LSD can certainly do as good a job launching in a straight line. The one time I drove a non-1LE SS at an autocross, I didn't think it lacked anything for that. The eLSD's main advantage is in allowing an open-diff situation on corner entry for better turn-in with a more aggressive percentage of lockup on exit for good traction and less understeer. IOW, it's advantage is in cornering.

Quote:
I think the biggest reason I am still torn is it seems a bigger wheel/tire package for 1ss would be $2500 or more down the road alone...
True, but if straight-line acceleration/launches are your main priority, then you might want a different size than 20x11 in back. You might even want 18x11, or some diameter with a 12" width. In short, you might end up buying a different set of wheels even with a 1LE.

The Recaros are great for cornering, and while they feel pretty firm at first, they "break in" to your butt pretty quickly and are very comfortable to me (6'1" 250lb, so I'm not skinny!). The main downside is that it makes ingress/egress from the car more difficult, and this shows up in daily driving and worn edges on the left-hand driver's side bolsters. This may be another situation where someone interesting mainly in straight-line acceleration bypasses the Recaros and saves the money. I've never even sat in the regular non-Recaro Camaro seats, but if they're comfortable for you then they are probably fine for your needs.
Old 09-19-2022, 11:32 AM   #12
DarrickMN

I'm guessing you aren't the nfl Matt Miller?

Thanks, your response was helpful. I knew I would be replacing the tires on the 1le but not until they were worn. Plus I can sell my set of wheels and tires when I upgrade as well. Seems like the 1le tires aren't good for mn weather even though i won't drive in winter it will mostly be a daily driver. Sounds like i will just keep my order as is and do my upgrades later. I may look into new wheels/tires right off the bat if I can sell the stock for a decent price.
Old 09-19-2022, 11:50 AM   #13
thegoat

Drives: 6th gen
I frequently drive an SS and 1le SS.
If you add Recaros magride and npp you’re getting close to 1le money

Some people can prefer non recaro seats

Elsd is great but the mechanical lsd is super predictable and locks in a way that gives a muscle car feel. I like that too.

They are both great versions of the car

Last edited by thegoat; 09-19-2022 at 06:49 PM.
thegoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 12:00 PM   #14
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
I have the standard SS seats and also sat in ZL1 and SS 1LE cars with Recaros. The stock seats are more comfortable and indeed make it easier to get in and out of the car (the Recaros may break in to your body shape over time, I obviously can't tell), but you'll be sliding sideways during very high speed cornering unless you peg your knees into the pads, which is not sustainable.

Tradeoffs everywhere (sigh).

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote