Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

Bigwormgraphix

Old 08-10-2018, 10:13 AM   #29
Sleeks

Drives: None
Its a pretty easy car to drive stick on....gobs of torque, rev match, etc.

Hyper Blue 1SS / 1LE
Sleeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 11:22 AM   #30
Ryanbabz71

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeks View Post
Its a pretty easy car to drive stick on....gobs of torque, rev match, etc.
Rev Match is awesome.
Ryanbabz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 11:27 AM   #31
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Yep, I'll say it again, except for the clutch pressure, which is just a matter of pressure, it's much harder to drive a lower powered manual car. Much easier to stall, you have to shift a lot more because the torque isn't adequate outside of a narrow RPM range, much more tricky to balance the gas and clutch from a start. This is where the saying "first is the worst" comes from, just to get these cars moving was a lot more work and finesse for most new drivers.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 03:24 PM   #32
Mountain

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2016 1SS (previous)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Knight Rider View Post
Hi Guys. I am seriously looking at buying the 1SS 1LE however, I have very little experience with driving a stick. I tried to start the car moving from a start and stalled the car during the test drive. I have another car for a daily and will be using the Camaro whenever I want, daily or weekend car.

I was thinking that if I bought the car I would practice slowly on it and get my self more and more proficient. Does that sound doable or is it crazy to think about it and should be an expert already?

Thanks.
Knight Rider

If the SS 1LE is what you want, and want to drive a stick. Go for it!

Compared to what I learned to drive a stick on, you have it easy.

Regardless, the 6G Camaros are easy cars to drive as stick:
-high low end torque to help you start / keep from stalling.
-good pedal placement
-smooth, well-weighted clutch
-cluster/HUD shows you what gear you are in
-transmission and driveline you dont have to worry about breaking
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 04:00 PM   #33
HYPER1LE

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE HBM
Just thought I’d throw this out. A manual is added security. Most car thieves these days can’t drive one.
HYPER1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 07:59 PM   #34
zr1chris

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanbabz71 View Post
Rev Match is awesome.
+1
zr1chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 05:42 AM   #35
MJP

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1LE Summit White
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost Creep View Post
lol
Is there a rental car place that rents manuals anymore?
I mean normal cars, not exotics. Judging by the Datsun comment, that was a while ago.

Yes, way back in the late 80's.
In the 80's and earlier? If you couldn't drive a manual, there was no way you'd be a school bus driver.
This kept the gal's away from School buses.

Today, the Bus is Auto Trans and the girls are the only ones driving them.
I don't know about anyone else, but a School bus is about the only vehicle today that will be sitting at an intersection waiting to pull out that will just slowly roll out in front of you causing you to slam on the brakes.
It's like WTF,, I'm almost at the four way and you slowly roll out in front of me cutting me off??

You take a quick look, yes, it's a woman behind the wheel.
I think most of these women get this thing in their blood when behind the wheel of a Large Bus.. ha, ha, stop for me.... That tough guy feeling.
Similar to the Dude who does his "first one hour workout" with a set of weights and then spends most of the rest of his day flexing in front of the Mirror.

When I'm riding my Motorcycle and I notice a School Bus waiting to pull out at an intersection?

I slow way the F down, usually 10mph below the speed limit. I'll slowly proceed to creep by. There are many women who operate a School bus that will not Hesitate to slowly roll right out in front of you. I think they love that "I've got the bigger vehicle feeling".
MJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 06:44 AM   #36
Ryanbabz71

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 1SS 1LE
Wow you really hate

Ryan B.
Ryanbabz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 09:39 AM   #37
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJP View Post
Yes, way back in the late 80's.
In the 80's and earlier? If you couldn't drive a manual, there was no way you'd be a school bus driver.
This kept the gal's away from School buses.

Today, the Bus is Auto Trans and the girls are the only ones driving them.
I don't know about anyone else, but a School bus is about the only vehicle today that will be sitting at an intersection waiting to pull out that will just slowly roll out in front of you causing you to slam on the brakes.
It's like WTF,, I'm almost at the four way and you slowly roll out in front of me cutting me off??

You take a quick look, yes, it's a woman behind the wheel.
I think most of these women get this thing in their blood when behind the wheel of a Large Bus.. ha, ha, stop for me.... That tough guy feeling.
Similar to the Dude who does his "first one hour workout" with a set of weights and then spends most of the rest of his day flexing in front of the Mirror.

When I'm riding my Motorcycle and I notice a School Bus waiting to pull out at an intersection?

I slow way the F down, usually 10mph below the speed limit. I'll slowly proceed to creep by. There are many women who operate a School bus that will not Hesitate to slowly roll right out in front of you. I think they love that "I've got the bigger vehicle feeling".
lol
They blow stop signs, make lefts across oncoming traffic, enter intersections as the light goes red, go 40 in a 25.
I think it's part of their training.
Old 08-11-2018, 09:42 AM   #38
Lethal Z
American Gearhead!!

Drives: ZL1 1LE/GT350/Ford RS/Gen 2 Raptor
Quote:
Hi Guys. I am seriously looking at buying the 1SS 1LE however, I have very little experience with driving a stick. I tried to start the car moving from a start and stalled the car during the test drive. I have another car for a daily and will be using the Camaro whenever I want, daily or weekend car.

I was thinking that if I bought the car I would practice slowly on it and get my self more and more proficient. Does that sound doable or is it crazy to think about it and should be an expert already?

Thanks.
Of course it's doable. Everyone learns at some point, don't let that deter you from getting the car. Practice makes perfect and you will be a pro within a few days.
Lethal Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 11:20 AM   #39
keon718nyc

Drives: Challenger SP Shaker/Arcadia Denali
Back in 1991, i picked up a used 89' Chevy Spectrum Turbo manual. The dealer first showed me the car and said but its stick shift but don't worry you can get used to it quick. Well never drove a manual before getting my lesson from the salesman end ended up driving off the lot with it. Few stall outs? yep but comes with the learning process. Makes me want to get rid of this A8 more and more thinking about it and having total control of the clutch engagement is a blast.
keon718nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 02:54 PM   #40
Gen6_1Le

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1Le
Quote:

Thanks.
I think the Camaro 1Le brought more first time manual users then any other car in the last 20 years , just get it and take your time . I learned how to drive a manual on my 2014 1Le and it was a great experience , made me laugh at times after driving for 35 years and felt like i was just learning how to drive . The manual changes how you drive, but in a great intouch with driving way . After 1500 miles you will have no regrets , before that you may ask yourself what you got yourself into but that goes away . Now for me after 4 years i don't even notice i'm driving a manual except that the smile never ends . The 1Le is a great drivers car which is why its only available in a manual , and well worth learning . Just don't rush the learning curve take your time and enjoy .
Gen6_1Le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 07:50 AM   #41
Thrillz

Drives: 2019 Dodge Daytona R/T
The engagement you get driving a manual in a car like a camaro is something truely special. Get the manual you wont regret it.
Old 08-13-2018, 11:01 AM   #42
Reddy1LE

Drives: 1SS 1LE
I stalled this car out twice and I have had only stick cars for the most part. Out of all the cars I owned, this car is the easiest to drive in stick I believe.

You’ll get use to it. Comes with time but this car is definitely doable.
What this car really needs is a notification eliminator. There's a wi-fi notification. Bluetooth notification. Parking brake disabled notification. Always some annoying notification popping up. - Navigator post
Reddy1LE is offline   Reply With Quote