Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-07-2016, 05:40 PM   #1
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
Did my Motor just Blow?

Hey guys so for those who read my timing chain thread,
I went to move my car into the garage this morning as I just ordered the chain kit and the motor was hestitating to start..but as you know our ignition, once you turn the key it turns the motor over itself. So it turns as it sounds as if it has low battery voltage, it starts and the motor sounded awful and I shut i off quickly. Sounded like the cylinders were all firing out of wack.
All day I was freaking out at work
Got home just now attempted to restart it and the motor wont start.

So guessing my motor is blown?
If you experience Permagrin exceeding 4 hours after taking Camaro, seek immediate Camaro5 Help
CAMARO Bringing excitment back into the Garage
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 05:59 PM   #2
TJ91

Can someone tell me why I cant so a LS swap when people in miatas and genesis' are doing so?

Baffles me

The only silver lining in this is if i can do a V8 swap
If you experience Permagrin exceeding 4 hours after taking Camaro, seek immediate Camaro5 Help
Old 03-07-2016, 08:09 PM   #3
RichSS2006

Drives: 2010 2SSRS
Anything is possible, given the time and dollars to accomplish the task. The physical swap isn't the most challenging. It may be the computer controls that are the most difficult part. i.e.: ECM/BCM programming, etc. If this is something you want, then go for it. Find a complete pull out low mileage donor car. Get the engine, trans, computers, wiring harness, sensors, etc. Some would say it's cheaper to buy a new car with a v8. Good luck.
Old 03-07-2016, 09:04 PM   #4
TJ91

Might buy a Hyper BLue 2SS tomorrow but I should really be pissed at GM right now
This car only has 50k miles and has been babied with full syn oil changes every 5k miles sometimes 3k miles

Can someone tell me if what i explained sounds like a blown motor?
Old 03-07-2016, 09:12 PM   #5
MagnumForceGB

Drives: Fastest 2010 Camaro V6
When you turn the KEY to RUN but don't start it, is there a clicking noise from the front of the engine?

GM's quality is one reason I haven't bought one in a long time, only brand of car I've had to take in for warranty work multiple times.
Old 03-07-2016, 10:12 PM   #6
TJ91

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumForceGB View Post
When you turn the KEY to RUN but don't start it, is there a clicking noise from the front of the engine?

GM's quality is one reason I haven't bought one in a long time, only brand of car I've had to take in for warranty work multiple times.
No clicking noise... I was hoping it would be battery related or starter related but have a feeling the chains jumped a tooth and perhaps burned through oil?

Minds been racing all day trying to figure out my options
Old 03-07-2016, 10:17 PM   #7
TJ91

Honestly, my family has only ever bought Domestic vehicles, chevys and fords and now a chrysler 300c.

Our GM vehicles have always been nightmares, back and forth to the dealer. I had hoped that GM had changed in the years I grew up, it did in terms of value for the price you pay, but the quality is terrible. My car would've classified as a Lemon in the States but here in Canada we don't have lemon laws.

There was nothing that would've stopped me from buying the Camaro as it has been childhood dream car since I was 4. I took the chance and it bit me in the ass hard. I thought the chains was brutal itself, but now having a potentially blown motor just makes matters worse.

A quick question, if my car for whatever reason ate oil (which I had just filled up on Saturday and did not drive) and then I dry started it today... does that mean that the motor would be completely seized and damaged...or would a matter of adding oil, changing the chains get me in the clear?

I always figured once motor runs dry its done...however I heard quite a few shops mistakenly doing this and simply adding oil but was never told of the long term damage
Old 03-07-2016, 10:49 PM   #8
Black Knight

Drives: Supercharged LLT
Hope you didn't blow your motor man. The motor blowing is summtin I think all of us LLT guys worry about. I wonder if a LS swap is possible if you go full race car no ac ,power windows radio . Idk
Old 03-07-2016, 11:33 PM   #9
TJ91

Lol full race car? Hmm i think i can live with that
I think ive used the AC about 5 times in the life of this car
The radio is a must though...
Old 03-07-2016, 11:34 PM   #10
TJ91

I was thinking of pulling a 10k loan out to do the motor swap by selling my existing parts and then swapping it with my friends but its this bcm ecm thing scaring me away
Old 03-07-2016, 11:57 PM   #11
Mr. Stacy
El Duderino

Drives: 2011 2LTRS Convertible
Have you had this to the shop? Time to call a great indy shop and see if they can sort it out for sure.
Old 03-08-2016, 09:17 AM   #12
redleader
redleader

Drives: 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Stacy View Post
Have you had this to the shop? Time to call a great indy shop and see if they can sort it out for sure.

Get an expert view for a few $ :-)
redleader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 09:31 AM   #13
MagnumForceGB

Drives: Fastest 2010 Camaro V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ91 View Post
Honestly, my family has only ever bought Domestic vehicles, chevys and fords and now a chrysler 300c.

Our GM vehicles have always been nightmares, back and forth to the dealer. I had hoped that GM had changed in the years I grew up, it did in terms of value for the price you pay, but the quality is terrible. My car would've classified as a Lemon in the States but here in Canada we don't have lemon laws.

There was nothing that would've stopped me from buying the Camaro as it has been childhood dream car since I was 4. I took the chance and it bit me in the ass hard. I thought the chains was brutal itself, but now having a potentially blown motor just makes matters worse.

A quick question, if my car for whatever reason ate oil (which I had just filled up on Saturday and did not drive) and then I dry started it today... does that mean that the motor would be completely seized and damaged...or would a matter of adding oil, changing the chains get me in the clear?

I always figured once motor runs dry its done...however I heard quite a few shops mistakenly doing this and simply adding oil but was never told of the long term damage
It probably did not eat the oil that fast, more than likely the cams are out of position now and the ECU can't correctly idle the engine within its parameters. My car ran very bad when the throttle body went, sounded like everything broke but it didn't.

If you are really concerned, check the oil with the dipstick and look at the oil filter.
Old 03-08-2016, 09:44 AM   #14
Black Knight

Drives: Supercharged LLT
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ91 View Post
Lol full race car? Hmm i think i can live with that
I think ive used the AC about 5 times in the life of this car
The radio is a must though...
Bluetooth speaker and you phone will solve that lol . The Beats pill is a good 1