Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Phastek Performance

Old 02-04-2016, 08:34 PM   #1
daverom

Drives: 2016 2SS
Manual Transmission missing 2nd gear

Occasionally have this issue with Manual Transmission 2SS. I'll upshift from 1st to 2nd, let out the clutch, and the transmission isn't in gear. It doesn't slip out, it just never went into second. If I try to pull shifter back into 2nd gear without letting up clutch, it grinds the gear. I need to take off clutch, and then press clutch in again in order to get shifter into 2nd gear.

This happened a few times in my first 4 weeks of ownership. I thought my technique was off. However, it happened several times this evening.

I'm wondering if this is just a quirk of the manual in this car, of if there's something wrong. I have to say I'll be annoyed if there's a mechanical failure, since I already had to have car into shop for a faulty sensor for my side detection system....
daverom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 09:24 PM   #2
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by daverom View Post
Occasionally have this issue with Manual Transmission 2SS. I'll upshift from 1st to 2nd, let out the clutch, and the transmission isn't in gear. It doesn't slip out, it just never went into second. If I try to pull shifter back into 2nd gear without letting up clutch, it grinds the gear. I need to take off clutch, and then press clutch in again in order to get shifter into 2nd gear.

This happened a few times in my first 4 weeks of ownership. I thought my technique was off. However, it happened several times this evening.

I'm wondering if this is just a quirk of the manual in this car, of if there's something wrong. I have to say I'll be annoyed if there's a mechanical failure, since I already had to have car into shop for a faulty sensor for my side detection system....
It doesn't sound normal...Can you replicate it? Find a pattern? Temperature-related?

In my 2014, if I limp-wrist the shift into 2nd...sometimes it feels like it's in there, but it's not: and what you described above will happen...
Old 02-04-2016, 09:50 PM   #3
Tr6
The Dogfather

Drives: #1 off the line for a customer. '16
1-4 shift lock?
#33 off the line #1 order for Customer.
Build thread HERE!
Story of my delivery HERE!
Tr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 11:35 PM   #4
jimmypop13

Drives: 2016 camaro ss
These cars have skip shift. If you're driving within the parameters that make it active, second and third gear will be locked out and you'll have to shift from 1-4.
jimmypop13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 06:20 AM   #5
stratt

Drives: Waiting on my 2016 Camaro 2SS
Order a shift eliminator from gen5diy. $11.99
stratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 07:11 AM   #6
djm96z28

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1SS LS3
It's not the skip shift. I've had this happen a couple times in my car, usually in colder weather. The shifter isn't quite fully into 2nd gear. I've had mine actually pop out into neutral and was able to put it back into gear. Two or three times though, I've also tried to put it back into 2nd with the clutch still depressed and got a grind.

You just have to be sure it's completely in 2nd if you get the "notchy" feel of the shifter. If it pops out, just remember to let off the clutch, then press it again before putting it back into gear.
djm96z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 08:56 AM   #7
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Sounds to me like it's the CAGS, if you are going slow enough and hit the CAGS and are being too gentle, it may not move over to forth gear. So when you let off the clutch, you aren't fully in gear...

Does this ever happen at higher rpm's or just low rpm's?
SS 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 09:18 AM   #8
lDejavul

Drives: Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by daverom View Post

I know exactly what you are talking about. Its happened to me a few times but it seems like its only happened when skip shift went off but for some reason it let me into second any ways. I grind the shit out of the gear even with the clutch pressed all the way in. then I let go of the clutch and go back to neutral then it lets me go into second like normal. If you figure it out let me know. I thought I was crazy too until the second time it happened. Kinda embarrasing with someone in the car when they think you cant shift.
Dual Mode Exhaust
MRC
Splash Guards

1G1FG1R74G0124089
lDejavul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 09:42 AM   #9
drivingagain

Drives: 2015 Tiger XCX,2016 Camaro 1SS,LBZ!
I also noticed cold the manual transmission is a little notchy until the fluids warm up a bit. Any one notice when the ski shift happens you can skip 4th and go to 3rd?
drivingagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 10:55 AM   #10
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivingagain View Post
I also noticed cold the manual transmission is a little notchy until the fluids warm up a bit. Any one notice when the ski shift happens you can skip 4th and go to 3rd?
They have always allowed that, 4th is just more direct and easy hence why they call it a "1 to 4" CAGS.
Old 02-05-2016, 10:56 AM   #11
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Quote:
Originally Posted by lDejavul View Post
I know exactly what you are talking about. Its happened to me a few times but it seems like its only happened when skip shift went off but for some reason it let me into second any ways. I grind the shit out of the gear even with the clutch pressed all the way in. then I let go of the clutch and go back to neutral then it lets me go into second like normal. If you figure it out let me know. I thought I was crazy too until the second time it happened. Kinda embarrasing with someone in the car when they think you cant shift.
Why don't you just buy a $12 CAGS eliminator?
Old 02-05-2016, 10:57 AM   #12
Pckrfan795

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey ZL1M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by drivingagain View Post
This happens to me too. I thought I was crazy lol
Old 02-05-2016, 12:43 PM   #13
The1DoubleN
Banned

Drives: Blown up '16 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by djm96z28 View Post
It's not the skip shift. I've had this happen a couple times in my car, usually in colder weather. The shifter isn't quite fully into 2nd gear. I've had mine actually pop out into neutral and was able to put it back into gear. Two or three times though, I've also tried to put it back into 2nd with the clutch still depressed and got a grind.

You just have to be sure it's completely in 2nd if you get the "notchy" feel of the shifter. If it pops out, just remember to let off the clutch, then press it again before putting it back into gear.
Exactly what you're describing has happened to me twice in the 2500mi I've had the car, chalked it up to new car niggles and stopped worrying about it. If it starts happening a lot or predictably, take it in to have it looked at. Otherwise I wouldn't fret too much.

Lots of transmissions are fickle about going fully into gear depending on whether you're moving or not etc etc, almost every manual tranny I've had has had one "bitchy" gear, usually 2nd, 3rd, 4th, or 5th.
The1DoubleN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 12:54 PM   #14
Eric SS
#becauseracecar

Drives: 2016 SS Sedan, 2016 Camaro SS
I know it's not the same tranny but my T56 would do this when cold from 1st to 2nd but that was as it aged, not when it was new. Is this happening on the Vettes as well? I would be concerned about longevity of the synchros if this happened right off the bat and you were sure that you were doing everything right.
Eric SS is offline   Reply With Quote