Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > Canada

Old 03-28-2013, 02:26 PM   #1
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
Battery help

Hey guys, so this will be the fourth season for my Car.
In November I noticed the battery was starting to go, well it was definitly working harder. And the entire winter ive been recharging it for my periodic starts
Anyways I need help choosing a new battery. Normally I would buy the OEM AC Delco battery, but the fact it only last three years (guessing its because of storage) makes me not want to dish out $220 when I can buy a cheap Motomaster that would last me 3 years.
Way I see it, no matter what battery I get, I will be replacing every three years or so due to winter storage (maybe if it put a battery tender this time I wont have a problem with new battery).
Anyways whats your opinions on batteries and how I can make them last longer

So far pricing is the following
AC Delco from GM: $220
MotoMaster: $150 (factory specs)
Moto Master Eliminator: $170 (a little more CCAs)
Optimas: $260

Not sure what battery to go with. Brother got an Exxide Battery for his Mustang.
I heard Costco sells decent batteries and Walmart sells Energizer batteries

Any input would be greatly appreciated

Oh and just seafoamed her, she will be out tonight at 12am
If you experience Permagrin exceeding 4 hours after taking Camaro, seek immediate Camaro5 Help
CAMARO Bringing excitment back into the Garage
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 03:11 PM   #2
flht99b

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS RJT
In the same situation. I can get the OEM AC Delco at wholesale but wondering if there is a better battery out there.
Ed M.
RJT 2SS/RS, AAM 3.70's, MTI Sway Bars, Shifter & SS brake lines, ZLI calipers, rotors & pads, BMR Trailing & Toe Arms, rear cradle & diff bushes, Pedders XA's, Camber/Toe eccentrics, Radius arm inserts, GTO clutch reservoir, LS9 cam, Comp valve springs, Melling 10296 oil pump, CR5 timing chain, LS6 damper, CAI Cold Air Intake, ARH LT headers w/HF cats, GMPP touring axle back, Elite Engineering Catch Can, Forgeline 20x9.5 & 20x11 DS3 whls, 275/40/20 & 315/35/20 tires, 2011 Convertible spoiler, 1LE front spoiler, Lloyd "SS" Floor Mats, GM Camaro Trunk Mat, wrapped console & Grant steering wheel.
flht99b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 03:45 PM   #3
'11 cyber grey vert
"SHARK" Born Apr.26,2011

Drives: 2011 CGM 2LT/RS Convertible
Not sure what battery to suggest but full time trickle charger during storage will help.
Also , from everything that I have learned about winter storage, it is NOT a good idea to start it occasionally.
I personally do not do the trickle charger route since I like to cover my car for the winter , but instead I do a negative terminal disconnect at the battery in the trunk so that there is absolutely no drain on the battery.Also my garage stays kind of warm in the winter about 6-7 deg. C.
IMO,I do believe that with storage you will not get the same lifespan out of the battery as you would in a DD
'11 cyber grey vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 05:25 PM   #4
TJ91

Thanks for the info man. Ill definitely get one for next winter
Now to choose a battery
If you experience Permagrin exceeding 4 hours after taking Camaro, seek immediate Camaro5 Help
Old 03-28-2013, 07:20 PM   #5
RickRay
INJACC

Drives: 2010 CGM 2LT/RS AUTO
I just got mine out of storage a couple of hours ago and I had the trickle charge ...guess what? It didn't start...battery Dead WTF. Now was it the trickle charge that wasn't working....don't know. Next time my battery dies, well I'll get a new one for sure.. Oh yeah...man does it feel good to drive again Now to start modding...
Member of 'Club Elite' #70
2LT/RS Auto / Solo HFC / Solo Mach X-LLT J-Pipe / JBA Headers Shorty
CAI - Cold Air Inductions / VMAX TB / Trifecta Tune
Hotchkis Max Strut Brace / Blade Dovetail Spoiler / Elite Catch Can
ACS T3 Hood Ports / T2 Bumper Ports / T2 Splitter / ACS T1 Led Light Kit
ACS Rockers / ACS Composite Hood Liner / ACS Upper Rear Quarter Ports
ACS Front Wheel Mud Flaps / ACS Rear Wheel Mud Flaps / Vitesse Throttle Controller
Pedders Drop Suspension / BMR Lower Control Arms / Style 41 ZL1 Wheels /
Oracle Afterburners / Oracle Concept SMD Side markers
Complete SS Brembo Brakes Set
RickRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:18 PM   #6
TJ91

M
Old 03-28-2013, 08:18 PM   #7
TJ91

My battery passed the load test so hopefully it just needed a good charge
Old 03-28-2013, 08:28 PM   #8
Trackman

Drives: 67RS Camaro ,Black 2013 ZL1
I'm sure the battery is fine but if not Costco
Trackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:50 PM   #9
TJ91

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickRay View Post
I just got mine out of storage a couple of hours ago and I had the trickle charge ...guess what? It didn't start...battery Dead WTF. Now was it the trickle charge that wasn't working....don't know. Next time my battery dies, well I'll get a new one for sure.. Oh yeah...man does it feel good to drive again Now to start modding...
Oh wow even with that? You know my uncle in Montreal had same problem this time with his car so he bought a new battery
And yeah I know what you mean, now in looking for excuses to drive already lol
Old 03-28-2013, 09:01 PM   #10
GTFD2

Drives: C7 2LT Vert 2014/2LT RS 2012
I buy the Walmart 3 year warranty. They usually fail just short of three years. New battery no charge. Now I end up with 6 years for the price of 3.
GTFD2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:25 AM   #11
SQUALO

Drives: CHEVROLET
Quote:
Originally Posted by '11 cyber grey vert View Post
Not sure what battery to suggest but full time trickle charger during storage will help.
Also , from everything that I have learned about winter storage, it is NOT a good idea to start it occasionally.
I personally do not do the trickle charger route since I like to cover my car for the winter , but instead I do a negative terminal disconnect at the battery in the trunk so that there is absolutely no drain on the battery.Also my garage stays kind of warm in the winter about 6-7 deg. C.
IMO,I do believe that with storage you will not get the same lifespan out of the battery as you would in a DD
NEVER DO AN OCCASIONAL START UP, DISCONNECT AND LET IT SLEEP FOR THE WINTER. DID IT ON MINE FOR 4YRS AND NO PROBLEM ON START UP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ91 View Post
Thanks for the info man. Ill definitely get one for next winter
Now to choose a battery
Give Jenn a call at Highland Chev, see if she can help.
Old 03-29-2013, 09:38 AM   #12
mhoskins76
HTWEELZ

Drives: 2013 2SS Hot Wheels Edition
I've always been partial to Optima batteries. They seem to handle the long periods of time with no usage good and also the drain down/charge up cycles as well. They are a little more expensive but whenever I have had one I've never had any issues with it.
DELIVERED APRIL 22nd, 2013 and enjoying every minute since!

Mods:
Cold Air Inductions CAI, CNC Ported Throttle Body, Elite Engineering Oil Catch Can, Smoked Spyder LED Tail Lights, 12" JBL Sub, JBL Amp, Stealth Sub Box, American Racing LT headers and hi-flo cats, Tuned by Davenport, Custom painted interior pieces, Custom painted hood liner and trunk liner, Niche Targa M-130 wheels, LED side markers
mhoskins76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 05:33 AM   #13
Matster

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IOM/IOM #3625
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ91 View Post
My battery passed the load test so hopefully it just needed a good charge
Hey TJ,

Mines been on a trickle charger all winter and I haven't been out to start it yet. This is the second year for the trickle charger. I even hook it up during the summer months if its going to be a while before I take it out again. I don't know what is drawing power when it is just sitting, perhaps On-Star, but I have had it go dead a couple of time during the summer when it sits. Last summer I was going to have SPi replace it but they load tested it first and it was fine.

416 Forged Stroker, E-Force Supercharger, Blower Cam, Rotofab CAI, Stainless Works 2" LT Headers and 3" Exhaust, LPE ZR1 Twin Disc Clutch, DSS 1400 HP Axles, Pfadt Performance Kit Stage 3.
Matster is offline   Reply With Quote