#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

AWE Tuning

Old 05-10-2017, 06:58 PM   #15
Provoste

Drives: E46 S54 race car, 964C2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric View Post
That's pretty interesting to hear. Really does peak highly of the 1LE. What attracts me in Porsches is the engine behind you, perceived lightness behind the wheel, and good visibility.

Would you, by any chance, be able to describe "on track" handling differences? On one hand, Camaro does have a front weight bias, but who knows, the mag ride might be doing its magic so well that it feels like a mid engine car...
Visibility yes for sure, a big Porsche advantage. Aside from that, 1LE checks all the boxes. Yes I'm a Porsche guy- but more than anything I'm a car guy and I vote with my $$. GM is bringing to market unbelievable sports cars for discount prices, so here I am.

You have to spend $10k-ish to get any thing that resembles the body control the 1LE offers on track in a 987.1 Porsche, and then you still don't get the duality of the mag-ride. My brother's 997 C2S is amazing on track, it has GT3 lower control arms, GT3 sway bars, monoball rear toe arms, and lowering springs with PASM. However- the 1LE is better on track and on the street. As I said, the only Porsche that offers similar duality is the GT4- and its $60k more.
Provoste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 07:10 PM   #16
Electric

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Provoste View Post
Visibility yes for sure, a big Porsche advantage. Aside from that, 1LE checks all the boxes. Yes I'm a Porsche guy- but more than anything I'm a car guy and I vote with my $$. GM is bringing to market unbelievable sports cars for discount prices, so here I am.

You have to spend $10k-ish to get any thing that resembles the body control the 1LE offers on track in a 987.1 Porsche, and then you still don't get the duality of the mag-ride. My brother's 997 C2S is amazing on track, it has GT3 lower control arms, GT3 sway bars, monoball rear toe arms, and lowering springs with PASM. However- the 1LE is better on track and on the street. As I said, the only Porsche that offers similar duality is the GT4- and its $60k more.
That's interesting. Really appreciate your input. Didn't really expect to find anyone who has experience both with Porsches and a 1LE.
Electric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 07:16 PM   #17
MiamiBlueCamaro

Drives: Gen 6 Camaro RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Provoste View Post
No no no. Porsche sports cars should have flat 6's. He should be cross shipping 987.2 or 981.1.
Hey, don't tell that to the Camaro Turbo guys!
Attached Images

MiamiBlueCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 07:30 PM   #18
Provoste

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiBlueCamaro View Post
Hey, don't tell that to the Camaro Turbo guys!
Haha... you turbo guys def have the weight and balance to your advantage. Makes me wonder what a 400whp turbo 4 1LE would be like. Actually, no question it would be awesome!
Old 05-10-2017, 07:37 PM   #19
Provoste

Quote:
That's interesting. Really appreciate your input. Didn't really expect to find anyone who has experience both with Porsches and a 1LE.
Ha, there are lots of guys new to Camaro on the board that were similarly converted. I had a couple track buddies (Miata, Porsche BMW) who thought I was absolutely nuts when they heard I bought a 1LE. One of the most vocal now has a ZL1 1LE on order after driving my car on street and track. Yes seriously.
Old 05-10-2017, 07:44 PM   #20
Rich J

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Manual
Wow...a camaro6 thread that I can actually comment on intelligently. Last year I sold a pristine sub-10k mile 2013 BMW 135i M6 with a reflash (300+ whp) to buy a new 2016 Camaro SS. But when the 1LE was announced, I couldn't bring myself to get the regular SS because I knew I would regret it when the 1LE came out. Still, I had the bug and a lump of cash and ended up getting a mint 2010 Cayman S PDK with 23k miles for just under $40k. It is an amazing car to drive on a twisty road. Fantastic balance and surprisingly peppy for its HP level when paired with the PDK. I also test drove a 2009 Cayman S with a stick and a 2011 Cayman base model with a stick. The base model was really slow and the 987.2S was still kind of pokey if you caught it out of its power band, which happened a lot with the wide spaced gears. But, the PDK car with 7 gears can always find just the right gear and it shifts fast and has manual trans like throttle response. I am typically a manual-only person, but this car is a different beast. So far so good with reliability (and I drive it about 50 miles a day during the week), but I plan to do all of the maintenance myself to cut down on costs. I have a lift and a good set of tools, so I don't need to pay $1000 to have someone change the air filter, plugs and brake fluid. I have no intention to track the Porsche because the cost to replace the engine is crazy high and I have an Evo that is good for that. The biggest downside of the Porsche is fear of breakage and an ensuing wallet massacre.

Now that the 1LE is out, I've test driven it in V6 and V8 form and also have a few days behind the wheel of 6th gen V6 rental Camaros. The 1LE is a fantastic car with very crisp handling, great engine note, a lot of torque and a lot of visual attitude. I have owned a modded 4th gen Camaro for 20 years and I think I finally have found a worthy replacement for it. I intend to get an SS 1LE very shortly.

Comparing the 987.2 Cayman S to the 1LE is very apples and oranges. The Porsche is definitely more comfortable, assuming you fit well in the car, and it is a car that you wear -- not one that you pilot. You feel like you can do almost anything in it around a curve or in traffic, since it has fantastic visibility and gear changes are a split second away. The new SS 1LE is a blast and very entertaining to drive, but it does constantly remind you that you are in a sporty high powered car. The Porsche can go to sleep and pretend to be a more normal car when you just want to cruise. The SS 1LE is alive all of the time, for better or worse.

Both great cars. As far as the 987.1 Cayman S, that could be a serious money pit if the IMS goes and the interior isn't nearly as nice as a 987.2. It's also slower. If money is tight for you, I think I'd lean toward the 1LE honestly. The extra $10-12k or so that you would save on a low mileage 987.1 Cayman S is not enough to cover a catastrophic repair, if you are unlucky. And the Porsche maintenance is a killer if you are not able to do your own wrenching.

Hope that helps!
Rich J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 07:59 PM   #21
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
You're in a 1LE forum, so i'm going to recommend the Porsche.

Really though, get the 1LE.
Old 05-10-2017, 08:26 PM   #22
JacobC1983

Drives: 2019 ZL1
Everybody is telling you 1LE and you are arguing for a 10 year old car with high maintenance costs. Get the Porsche and enjoy it.
JacobC1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 09:17 PM   #23
seanblurr

Drives: ZL1 1LE
I was in a similar debate but was looking around a 2014 CS. You can see what I decided on.
Old 05-10-2017, 09:51 PM   #24
Rockmonstir

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
1le no question, I have a coworker with a 10 year old Cayman S and no thank you.
Old 05-10-2017, 09:53 PM   #25
Electric

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich J View Post
Wow...a camaro6 thread that I can actually comment on intelligently. Last year I sold a pristine sub-10k mile 2013 BMW 135i M6 with a reflash (300+ whp) to buy a new 2016 Camaro SS. But when the 1LE was announced, I couldn't bring myself to get the regular SS because I knew I would regret it when the 1LE came out. Still, I had the bug and a lump of cash and ended up getting a mint 2010 Cayman S PDK with 23k miles for just under $40k. It is an amazing car to drive on a twisty road. Fantastic balance and surprisingly peppy for its HP level when paired with the PDK. I also test drove a 2009 Cayman S with a stick and a 2011 Cayman base model with a stick. The base model was really slow and the 987.2S was still kind of pokey if you caught it out of its power band, which happened a lot with the wide spaced gears. But, the PDK car with 7 gears can always find just the right gear and it shifts fast and has manual trans like throttle response. I am typically a manual-only person, but this car is a different beast. So far so good with reliability (and I drive it about 50 miles a day during the week), but I plan to do all of the maintenance myself to cut down on costs. I have a lift and a good set of tools, so I don't need to pay $1000 to have someone change the air filter, plugs and brake fluid. I have no intention to track the Porsche because the cost to replace the engine is crazy high and I have an Evo that is good for that. The biggest downside of the Porsche is fear of breakage and an ensuing wallet massacre.

Now that the 1LE is out, I've test driven it in V6 and V8 form and also have a few days behind the wheel of 6th gen V6 rental Camaros. The 1LE is a fantastic car with very crisp handling, great engine note, a lot of torque and a lot of visual attitude. I have owned a modded 4th gen Camaro for 20 years and I think I finally have found a worthy replacement for it. I intend to get an SS 1LE very shortly.

Comparing the 987.2 Cayman S to the 1LE is very apples and oranges. The Porsche is definitely more comfortable, assuming you fit well in the car, and it is a car that you wear -- not one that you pilot. You feel like you can do almost anything in it around a curve or in traffic, since it has fantastic visibility and gear changes are a split second away. The new SS 1LE is a blast and very entertaining to drive, but it does constantly remind you that you are in a sporty high powered car. The Porsche can go to sleep and pretend to be a more normal car when you just want to cruise. The SS 1LE is alive all of the time, for better or worse.

Both great cars. As far as the 987.1 Cayman S, that could be a serious money pit if the IMS goes and the interior isn't nearly as nice as a 987.2. It's also slower. If money is tight for you, I think I'd lean toward the 1LE honestly. The extra $10-12k or so that you would save on a low mileage 987.1 Cayman S is not enough to cover a catastrophic repair, if you are unlucky. And the Porsche maintenance is a killer if you are not able to do your own wrenching.

Hope that helps!
Thanks for the write up! Tough decision. As I'm reading your write up, I'm reminded just how Porsche make you feel when you are driving it. One of those feelings that makes you stop thinking rationally. lol
Electric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 10:39 PM   #26
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Just as the title says, trying to make up my mind what I will enjoy more. A brand new SS 1LE or 2006 - 2008 Cayman S. Cost, reliability, and interior space NOT being an object.

The car will be used for spirited driving, autocross, possibly road course, but also as a daily driver.

I've driven both, tried doing side by side logical comparisons, and it's still a toss up. So I figured it might be a good idea to ask for an advice here.

Thanks in advance!
If I were trying to decide between a new Cayman S vs 1LE - I'd say it would be a toss-up (cost variance aside). But not a 10 year old Pcar....perhaps except for a GT2. If it is of any help, my track friend on his 2nd GT3 wanted to switch to 1LE but could no longer find one locally. But, if you really think a 10 year old Cayman equals a 1LE, then by all means go with the Porsche. That's a no brainer
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 10:40 PM   #27
mc210

Drives: 2015 Toyota 4Runner
I'm a Porsche guy and if what I've seen is correct the 1LE is comparable to a GT4; for me that's a no brainer even though I'm Porsche through and through (dad had a 912 growing, uncle had a 930, tracked Porsche at Sebring, dad owns a 911tt currently, etc).
mc210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 11:37 PM   #28
NCSD

Drives: Nightfall, 2SS, A8, MRC, NPP,RE-71R
Camaro has a warranty even if you track it. For me, I always wanted a Porsche and I can afford a used one, but I'm afraid I'd get a lemon and get killed by the repair costs. The 1LE is fast and has a track warranty. Not as prestigious as a Porsche for most people. The average person has no clue what the new camaros are capable of at the track and you will never change those peoples minds. Your buddies at work wont say, Wow you have a camaro. Read some of Prevostes prior posts, He's had both and seems very happy with the 1LE for what he does.

Last edited by NCSD; 05-11-2017 at 12:09 AM.
NCSD is offline   Reply With Quote