Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-08-2017, 07:13 PM   #1
formoutofchaos

Drives: Camaro 2017 1LE
best way to Time Track

So since the PDR doesn't have a realtime GPS function like the c7 what is the best way to consistently measure your track times for the day? i see a ton of gizmos which one do you like?
formoutofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 07:17 PM   #2
Eric SS
#becauseracecar

Drives: 2016 SS Sedan, 2016 Camaro SS
I personally like Harry's lap timer for the price. It's a fairly accurate app and seems to be spot on when I use that along with a transponder.
Eric SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 07:25 PM   #3
Provoste

Drives: E46 S54 race car, 964C2
Harry's works great for most folks. Predictive timing is very helpful once you're trying to get that last few percent... it gives you real time +/- corner by corner to let you know intra-lap if you are faster/slower than your previous best. It's not cheap, but a great driver development tool- for this you'll want to look at an AIM Solo, VBox sport, etc. I've been happy with the in-car feedback my AIM Solo offers, though my brother's VBox's data analysis software seems better outside the car.
Provoste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 08:04 PM   #4
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
I like AIM Solo. Not too badly priced, easy to use, easy to read display for us older folks lol!
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 08:42 PM   #5
seanblurr

Drives: ZL1 1LE
Harry's is great, I even used that in my race car for awhile when my data system was down.
Old 05-08-2017, 10:27 PM   #6
formoutofchaos

Drives: Camaro 2017 1LE
So what are the price points and what's a transponder ? I have barber and cmp coming up and want to get some times idk why they didn't give us the same as the vette gps pdr
formoutofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 10:32 PM   #7
Eric SS
#becauseracecar

Quote:
Originally Posted by formoutofchaos View Post
So what are the price points and what's a transponder ? I have barber and cmp coming up and want to get some times idk why they didn't give us the same as the vette gps pdr
I don't think I was clear. I don't use a transponder in conjunction with Harry's. A transponder is something you attach to your car to give you official lap times when doing something like Time Trials or Time Attack. I was just saying that when I happen to have one on the car during an event, Harry's gives similar lap times to the official timer so that let's me know that Harry's is accurate even with only the 1hz refresh rate of the iPhone GPS. You can add an external GPS that refreshes even faster if you want to be even more accurate. I think Harry's was around $15 pr so.

Like others have said, if you want to get even more info you can use something like the Vbox but then you're in another league in the hundreds of dollars.
Old 05-08-2017, 11:13 PM   #8
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
I think I paid $399 CAD for my AIM Solo. Given everything is cheaper S of the border you're proly looking for much less. It comes with an excellent windshield mount which has never come lose on me. It has predictive mode as well, but frankly I stay too busy to take full advantage of it and just use it in its std mode displaying lap times. It also stores them all so u can review them afterwards. Proly cheaper choices on phones now, but I am still married to my BlackBerry which has zero capabilities in that area.
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 01:47 AM   #9
glamcem

Drives: '19 RivrsdBlu 1LE ('17 1LE HB sold)
I've used Harry's Lap timer with my iPhone but ended up going back to RaceChrono with Android. I had a used Nexus 5 to use RaceChrono and using that as a dedicated realtime lap timer/monitor seemed like a good idea. Last time I checked it was not currently available in Apple Store.

I like the RaceChrono over the Harry's Lap timer for several reasons; instant lap delta with previous best and ability to export the whole session instead of each session, more accurate POIs. Also for realtime analysis, I liked the fact that it can use the OBD2 data integrated so monitoring some information is possible and looks a lot better in RaceChrono such as speed graph with satellite map view.

I've been using RaceChrono with the 10 hz external GPS (SkyPro XGPS160 GPS Receiver)
glamcem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 08:02 AM   #10
mc210

Drives: 2015 Toyota 4Runner
I like Harry's for the ability to overlay data and incorporate other (certain) cameras after the fact (
) but then again PDR does the overlay for you if I'm not mistaken (not a 1LE owner yet). Harry's also has a laptimer view: https://www.facebook.com/pg/HarrysLa...57962997632150
mc210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 08:15 AM   #11
locktyght

Drives: Summit White 2016 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mc210 View Post
I like Harry's for the ability to overlay data and incorporate other (certain) cameras after the fact (
) but then again PDR does the overlay for you if I'm not mistaken (not a 1LE owner yet). Harry's also has a laptimer view: https://www.facebook.com/pg/HarrysLa...57962997632150
If your a wizard, for the life of me, I can not figure out the trick to getting an external video in a harrys video.
Old 05-09-2017, 10:20 AM   #12
mc210

Drives: 2015 Toyota 4Runner
Quote:
Originally Posted by locktyght View Post
If your a wizard, for the life of me, I can not figure out the trick to getting an external video in a harrys video.
Ha I don't recall it being too difficult, I think I even did it between sessions at the track....but it's been a while. I'd check out Harry's forum http://forum.gps-laptimer.de/ and describe the issues you're having, he and others are usually quick to help.
mc210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 10:56 AM   #13
Eric SS
#becauseracecar

Quote:
Originally Posted by locktyght View Post
I haven't tried it yet, but there was a second app I had to download called Harry's Multicam that I believe you need to add a second cam. I just do it after the fact in a video editing program.
Old 05-09-2017, 08:48 PM   #14
mbar

Drives: 2016 1SS
I use TrackAddict. It's working really well for IOS and not as buggy as Harry's.
Also with certain OBDII readers and IOS it will read engine oil temp and trans temp. Here's an example:

Last edited by mbar; 05-10-2017 at 10:49 AM.
mbar is offline   Reply With Quote